Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What isn't overblown is that the Sabres have had one of the worst records in the NHL stretching for a decade. I don't care who recommended who regarding the staffing. The owner ultimately makes the decision who to hire. You can ask anyone involved in the hockey business and covering the sport and there will be no one who would be foolish enough to say that the Sabres are a well run operation. The Pegula tenure is replete with staffing turmoil and turnover. The Sabres' reputation of running a chaotic and mercurial operation is reflected in their extended dismal record. It starts at the top. No  more excuses. 

I don’t disagree with any of this but it is their mercurial style that will eventually fix the situation. There is something to be said for being willing to spend the money to keep trying.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

He's frustrated, we're frustrated, the management group is frustrated, makes for an unenviable task.  Just move on, and lets start building.  Unlike last time we at least have 7-8 potential pieces.  

If they don’t surround those pieces with capable veteran insulation, it won’t matter 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freester said:

I think we need to stop blaming Jack for the worst organization in professional sports. The Pegulas have hired incompetent coaches and incompetent GMs. Any player who wanted to win would want out of this shitshow after 6 years. 

I'm not blaming Jack. I'm just saying because of his life experience, he's not the type that can deal with bad situations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I don’t disagree with any of this but it is their mercurial style that will eventually fix the situation. There is something to be said for being willing to spend the money to keep trying.

It won't surprise anyone that I think they can change coaches and GMs every two to three years, even change the organizational mission, and it won't matter until one thing changes: either the owner, or the owner's direct involvement in decision-making.

This is a recording. (Of course, it's a troll-job/narrative/agenda. Everyone else's repetitiveness is fine.)

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think you are a great poster here and I enjoy your comments.   I do notice you never give up on trying to prove your point.  You are quick to ask for links.   Show me a clip of Tavares the Islander, saying he wants to be Tavares the Leaf.  It is perfectly fine to say what Tavaras said after the fact.  Not so great to say it while you are a member of another team.  

You also cling to the notion that Eichel never asked for a trade.   We don’t know what was said between KA and Eichel before the injury but something lead to the trade rumors with the Rangers.   KA is not going to say he prefers to be traded, it hurts his bargaining position   

The whole neck surgery “disconnect” is Eichel’s attempt to force a trade.   Given his history of petulant behavior this situation should not be a total surprise.  

Any post that begins with the bold is an “uh oh” for things to follow in said post lol 

- - -

I don’t give up trying to prove my point very often because I generally only debate points for which I have a strong conviction. This is why you’ll notice I always win my arguments ( 😉 )

I’d argue asking for links in support of an opinion has lots of merit, but I challenge you to find examples of me doing this on the regular besides the one is this thread that was a joke? 

Why would I show you a clip of Tavares saying it as an islander when my argument is based upon the notion the muttering of said notion isn’t relevant to me? That’s my entire argument: verbalizing truth isn’t a Sin to me. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This is so overblown. Every hire the Pegulas made prior to KA were met with some degree of applause. They were all on somebody’s list of “next in line.”  Obviously they didn’t work out, maybe TM needed more time. Now, they have decided to follow their vision and time will tell if they are right but players bailing is a relatively new thing. In and era of Michael Jordan, elite athletes aspired to be a part of the solution and will their teams to success. In an era personified by Lebron( but not started by him) it has become acceptable to bail and go where you don’t have to work quite as hard.

Sure, those hires were seen as mainstream.  But when Murray and Botterill didn't work out, going full late Ralph Wilson "need to hire someone I know regardless of qualifications" isn't how you send a message you're trying to win.  That's one more element to the hockey community, players and agents included, that your franchise is not competitive.  

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

If Eichel has done no wrong here then logically we can all bail on the Buffalo Sabres too. We can all pick new teams to root for according to this logic. Yet we would rightfully balk if a fan did that, but we defend players who bail? Why are we held to a higher standard when we’re being loyal to the crest for free? As society’s moral fabric erodes as does our expectations of athletes apparently. 

Wrong.  We invest emotion, time and the price of tickets/merchandise into the Sabres.  The players...well, they invest a little more into their career.  

I see fans all the time who don't know there's a difference between having a job or having a career.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This is so overblown. Every hire the Pegulas made prior to KA were met with some degree of applause. They were all on somebody’s list of “next in line.”  Obviously they didn’t work out, maybe TM needed more time. Now, they have decided to follow their vision and time will tell if they are right but players bailing is a relatively new thing. In and era of Michael Jordan, elite athletes aspired to be a part of the solution and will their teams to success. In an era personified by Lebron( but not started by him) it has become acceptable to bail and go where you don’t have to work quite as hard.

Adams Hiring may have brought chuckles from around the league, but His First Two Major Hires in Karmanos and Ventura certainly did not 

55 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It is why I added the part in parentheses. I know Lebron didn’t start the movement and while I am indeed “older,” I would like to think I don’t “cling” to much.

The GM initiated it when he became convinced that Jack wasn’t committed to being part of the solution.

Adams traveling with the team in the preceding months to His Hiring must have been interesting 

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Link? 

Tom Webster’s Source of information and His Reputation is well established on the board

45 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

It's Jack being Jack, answering a home town reporter.  I think we can cut, Jack some slack in saying, the obvious answer is of course, at some point I'd love to play for my home town team.  To the "now or later", it's just time to move on for all parties.  Get the absolute most you can for him.  This *****, isn't going to get better.   Yes, waiting for the best return is important, but there's always the theory of thought about waiting TOO LONG.

Agreed I took the interview as a morning show puff piece and He as a lifelong Bruins Fan responded as a lifelong Bruins Fan would, of course I would love to play for them at some point 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I want to make it clear that I don't question their (owners) earnestness. As new owners they have made a lot of mistakes. What I find hopeful is that in their constant pursuit of finding solutions they will eventually come up with it. That was evident when they bought the Bills. They mistakenly tried to create a splash for their non-descript franchise by the atrocious hire of the clownish Rex Ryan. It didn't take long to expunge that grotesque and costly mistake. They rebounded by hiring McDermott and then followed up with the hiring of Beane. In a relatively short period of time that including the cleansing of the organization and much of the roster. The Bills are now known as one of the best run operations. The Bills have gone from being a ridiculed organization to an admired organization.

Although I have negatively commented on the past I am encouraged with how the new GM has steadily made good hires to his staff. It seems that a blueprint for the future has been established. It is now in the early stage of being implemented. What this organization desperately needs is stability and follow-up. The constant changing of staff and philosophies has repeatedly set this organization back. There has been a lot of activity and motion but little coherent direction. I believe that things have changed for the better and now what is needed is a little patience. So put me in the cautiously optimistic category.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

With apologies to Hoss, from David Pagnotta 

Okay, hear me out: Would the Vegas Golden Knights package up Alex Tuch, Chandler Stephenson, Cody Glass and Nic Hague in a deal for Jack Eichel? Would the Buffalo Sabres say no? The Sabres have drops crumbs and the Knights are sniffing around. Curious if it gets anywhere.

Speaking of curiosity, I’m intrigued to see if the Columbus Blue Jackets step up with a big offer for Eichel and use the fifth-overall pick as a major piece in a package. They’ve had talks, and I don’t believe it’s gotten overly serious just yet, but a 24-year-old star centre is exactly what Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen would love to get his hands on, even if he has to overpay. Hmm.

I would need Krebs over Glass 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen flashed his potential plenty in 2018. It was pretty obvious he was something special.

I'm sure you have watched Jack play when he was healthy. Right from the start it was evident that he had unparalleled talent. The difference between the Bills and the Sabres is that the Bills were quickly able to give Allen the support for him and the team to succeed. In contrast the Sabres have not surrounded him with enough support to put him and the team in a good situation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itt_BnQXqYI

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Sure, those hires were seen as mainstream.  But when Murray and Botterill didn't work out, going full late Ralph Wilson "need to hire someone I know regardless of qualifications" isn't how you send a message you're trying to win.  That's one more element to the hockey community, players and agents included, that your franchise is not competitive.  

Wrong.  We invest emotion, time and the price of tickets/merchandise into the Sabres.  The players...well, they invest a little more into their career.  

I see fans all the time who don't know there's a difference between having a job or having a career.  

Good points, and I think we as fans forget sometimes how differently athletes view the sport (see: business) at large. These guys stop being “fans” at age 18. Imagine if all of our fandoms stopped that many years ago? We live and die by the crest, all fans do, but all these professionals are just that: we continue on this fandom path for decades and for them, being a fan of the game goes away, as the priority, at a very young age 

Edited by Thorny

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Adams Hiring may have brought chuckles from around the league, but His First Two Major Hires in Karmanos and Ventura certainly did not 

Adams traveling with the team in the preceding months to His Hiring must have been interesting 

Tom Webster’s Source of information and His Reputation is well established on the board

Agreed I took the interview as a morning show puff piece and He as a lifelong Bruins Fan responded as a lifelong Bruins Fan would, of course I would love to play for them at some point 

It was a joke. Remember jokes? 

- - - 

The last big swing Tom took was a big ole miss (exceedingly uncommon for him, admittedly) so I hope it’s not improper behaviour to respond to his posts as normal? 

But like I said, it was a joke. Isn’t it *obvious* KA thinks Jack is a character/attitude issue? My argument has always been that Adams is well wrong, not that he doesn’t think it 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s a funny thing. People have such an issue with blunt honesty. It’s not about what someone thinks or feels, just what they say. They need to be policed. Tavares talked endlessly about how he has *always* wanted to be a Leaf once he got there. Was he lying and the feelings only came about after the deal? No, he felt that way, even as a member of the islanders. We all know he felt it, and we knew it before the deal happened based on comments previous re: his boyhood team. It’s so common for players to want to play at home one day. We already all know it. But it just can’t be verbalized. Heaven forbid someone speaks a truth everyone already knows. People aren’t one dimensional robots. Any athlete wanting to play for their home team one day isn’t prevented from maximizing the tenure in his current location 

It’s a joke 

That bit about pajamas isn't entirely true: two years before he did what he did he was asked about coming to the laffs and he said that there was no chance that was going to happen.

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@tom webster does not provide links, as far as I recall anyway.  His reputation and standing on this board speak to his credibility and of his sources, which I do believe he has in high places.

это была шутка

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

That bit about pajamas isn't entirely true: two years before he did what he did he was asked about coming to the laffs and he said that there was no chance that was going to happen.

Saying there’s no chance it’ll happen isn’t revelatory of desire 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The difference between the Bills and the Sabres is that the Bills were quickly able to give Allen the support for him and the team to succeed.

The Bills had done most of their rebuild before Josh arrived. Now they're tinkering to perfect the formula.  Jack came into an empty lot where there was a house fire and the house had just been torn down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The point is, Lorde sang it as a defiant teen anthem, Puddles transformed it to a dirge about missed opportunities. It's supposed to hurt. 

Ah. “Suffering.” Got it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

With apologies to Hoss, from David Pagnotta 

Okay, hear me out: Would the Vegas Golden Knights package up Alex Tuch, Chandler Stephenson, Cody Glass and Nic Hague in a deal for Jack Eichel? Would the Buffalo Sabres say no? The Sabres have drops crumbs and the Knights are sniffing around. Curious if it gets anywhere.

Speaking of curiosity, I’m intrigued to see if the Columbus Blue Jackets step up with a big offer for Eichel and use the fifth-overall pick as a major piece in a package. They’ve had talks, and I don’t believe it’s gotten overly serious just yet, but a 24-year-old star centre is exactly what Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen would love to get his hands on, even if he has to overpay. Hmm.

I would need Krebs over Glass 

Agreed. That offer is probably good if you switch in Krebs and ideally add a first. I don’t need Chandler Stephenson in the deal.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

10. There were rumours Jack Eichelbacked away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery. 

Tough to read the Kings on this one. The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access. That’s a little different than St. Louis, which has indicated it will make Vladimir Tarasenko’s available.

Only one of those teams really has a deal that needs to be done before the draft and that’s Anaheim as 3OA would probably be the centerpiece of the return.

I’m not in the negotiating business, but I would think a proper strategy would be to get Bob Murray invested enough in the process that he has become committed to the idea of acquiring Eichel, then using the bolded as a pinch point to lever maximum return.

• Like (+1) 1