Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

14 hours ago, Curt said:

Only weird part is that Lebrun was assuming that it wouldn’t be for futures.  I think most here already felt it would be mostly a picks/prospects/young players return, as opposed to a star for star trade.

Especially since it was already reported (by Friedman?) that Adams was looking for the equivalent of 4 1st round picks in an Eichel trade.

I think he was more expressing the sentiment that your average person or fan might have - that cashing in for pretty much all futures, again, looks pretty ridiculous 

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

John Wawrow was on the Tim Graham and Friends Podcast.

He confirmed that there was a push to trade Eichel shortly after Adams arrival

He mentioned that Bob McKenzie Rumors this past September, the belief is even back then, they have been offering Jack for quite sometime. 

Injury or not they were looking to move Him. 

With any inside info, he believes Jack is traded by the draft. 

My Adams-for-job-security meme breathes easy, now. He wanted his rebuild and he'll get it. Evaluation year 6.0 on the way

Edited by Thorny

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

There is nothing we’ve seen yet to indicate this is about cutting costs.

Prior to being hired as GM, Adams was brought in to review the culture of the team, mostly off the ice.

It would be natural for him to continue that on the ice.

It would not be entirely surprising to learn that he has concluded that Jack’s approach and attitude is standing in the way of a needed culture shift.

It would be even less surprising to learn that someone further up the food chain has grown tired of Jack’s approach and attitude and instructed him to move on.

We can only go by what we’ve observed in the past and how it applies to the present.

So very highly questionable when it sounds like something he came to the conclusion on almost immediately after being brought in. It's pretty damn depressing: they've either identified Jack's affect on the "culture" to be a, or the, primary issue, which is absolutely ridiculous considering what the actual most likely reason for why we've been bad is (so KA doesn't know what he's doing), or, to me more likely, it's all in the name of garnering as many "low expectation" free pass years as necessary. I don't buy that they'd be afraid to p*ss off the fans by doing so: the "jack is bad for culture" narrative, even though it's exactly the same as the ROR one that we JUST went through, is something all too many are buying in to. 

Come ON people. Look what Adams is doing. Just look 

Edited by Thorny
Adams wasn't brought in to address the culture he was brought in to slash the budget
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

The only thing more ridiculous then the thought that this is a cost cutting move is the notion that it has anything to do with character issues or off ice issues. These guys are not choirboys. They are young, single guys with a lot of money, free time and enablers and it’s not a new generation issue. Mickey Mantle was drunk half his career, the Cowboys had the “White House” hell, when Hasek was here, a member of the equipment staff’s main job was to follow him around and get him out of trouble with the police.

Exactly. It's just spin to mask the real reasons

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s not too uncommon for an NHL team to not name a captain.  Every year there are teams without one.

To me it’s a long term investment.  You don’t just throw it on someone for now.  It should be someone who you are confident will be a leader on the team for years going forward.

Agree, you have three guys wearing the A.   They can cover it. 

And please, don’t  hand the C to Cozens.  I think there should be a minimum beard requirement.  Ok I’m joking a little on that, but let’s not pile too much on Cozens right now.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Agree, you have three guys wearing the A.   They can cover it. 

And please, don’t  hand the C to Cozens.  I think there should be a minimum beard requirement.  Ok I’m joking a little on that, but let’s not pile too much on Cozens right now.  

We are about to pile expectations on him above his capability in much the same way we did with Jack

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

This how people turned on ROR made bull ***** stories up and people couldn't wait until he was gone 

Now its jacks turn ? 

You haven't been here long enough to know who was raising concerns 5 years ago.  Many of the voices now that are expressing conccerns were expressing concerns 5 years ago.

And I was an ROR backer.  So it's not same song, same artist, new lyrics here.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

I'm curious as to how many posters here were negative on Eichel prior to this past season.

You've been here long enough to have a feeling about that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

You haven't been here long enough to know who was raising concerns 5 years ago.  Many of the voices now that are expressing conccerns were expressing concerns 5 years ago.

That he wants to win? 

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

None let's just make up stories. 

Best one I heard this year is a recovering alcoholic  And doing cocaine regularly 

The cocaine stuff goes back to Bogo and Kane supposedly being the influence for that. 

Could be complete BS

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

How else can you see Toronto taking on Eichels contract?

I don't see Toronto taking his contract, because I cannot see any deal that Buffalo would do with Toronto.  How in the hell would any Sabres fan want to trade Eichel to the Queefs. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I would not give it to anyone next season, excepting some unforeseen veteran leader addition.  In 2022 give it to whoever shows they deserve it.

I'd give Okposo the "C" in his last two years and let new leaders develop in that time. By then we'll have a new coach/GM combo and they can give the C to whoever is still around.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

You haven't been here long enough to know who was raising concerns 5 years ago.  I was born into the concerns. Molded by them. The first time I saw the light of optimism, it was BLINDING! Many of the voices now that are expressing conccerns were expressing concerns 5 years ago.

FTFY

14 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I'd give Okposo the "C" in his last two years and let new leaders develop in that time. By then we'll have a new coach/GM combo and they can give the C to whoever is still around.

I could see them going this route. By all accounts a stand-up guy. It also mandates him being in the lineup which will aid their quest for Bedard. Hopefully the youth have no problem doing as he says and not as he does. Though IIRC he wasn't terrible last season he was pretty ok. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I could see them going this route. By all accounts a stand-up guy. It also mandates him being in the lineup which will aid their quest for Bedard. Hopefully the youth have no problem doing as he says and not as he does. Though IIRC he wasn't terrible last season he was pretty ok. 

He had a stretch of 10 points in 11 or 12 games or something like that before he got shut down for the year. This was after like zero points in his first 15-20 games, so , maybe he still has it? Looking over the current roster he's the only player I'd give a letter to at this point. I think having the C would make him push himself as well. The biggest factor for this would be that C will expire in 2 years when his contract is up and you can hand it off to whoever has earned it.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

I'm curious as to how many posters here were negative on Eichel prior to this past season.

I like to think I've always pointed out the good and the bad.

I can say I witnessed first hand the very first smack talk of Eichel. At the summer scrimmage in 2015, some dude behind me in the 300s screamed for Jack to "move yer feet." I can't say he was wrong that night, or since.

Jack "*****" Eichel is right.

Whatever. I think with decades of fandom you start to have perspective on who the good ones are. I don't blame any young fans who've known nothing but losing to attach themselves to an Eichel and mourn his passing.

Only we the cockroach fans survive. There will be fresh meat to come. Players better than Jack, by a lot. You'll see.

When all you've done is play on losing teams and haul in 10 million a year, this is what happens.

Just now, Mustache of God said:

He had a stretch of 10 points in 11 or 12 games or something like that before he got shut down for the year. This was after like zero points in his first 15-20 games, so , maybe he still has it? Looking over the current roster he's the only player I'd give a letter to at this point. I think having the C would make him push himself as well. The biggest factor for this would be that C will expire in 2 years when his contract is up and you can hand it off to whoever has earned it.

If "it" is the ability to play a capable checking line role with two other good checking line players, I'd say it's possible yes. 

23 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I can definitely agree with that. 

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I like to think I've always pointed out the good and the bad.

I can say I witnessed first hand the very first smack talk of Eichel. At the summer scrimmage in 2015, some dude behind me in the 300s screamed for Jack to "move yer feet." I can't say he was wrong that night, or since.

Jack "*****" Eichel is right.

Whatever. I think with decades of fandom you start to have perspective on who the good ones are. I don't blame any young fans who've known nothing but losing to attach themselves to an Eichel and mourn his passing.

Only we the cockroach fans survive. There will be fresh meat to come. Players better than Jack, by a lot. You'll see.

When all you've done is play on losing teams and haul in 10 million a year, this is what happens.

Do you at least accept there are other legitimate reasons for not wanting to trade Jack? Ie - the entertainment value he provided in the midst of otherwise dreariness? I don't think you'd argue that it's *likely* KA turns this ship around, considering what we've seen come before. I'm not saying it won't happen but "doubting" what comes next would be a function of realism, at this point, no? So with that said, would you scoff at those who find value in the exceptional play he provides, where little other value can be found, when viewing through the prism of an entertainment product?

I'm not sure if you'd term me a "young" fan at 34 (how much relativity we talking here?) but I've been through decades of fandom and this still very much grinds my gears. 

Edited by Thorny

37 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That he wants to win? 

Please don't do things like this.  Every time I see this sarcastically rhetorical question or some variation of it, I am reminded of a similar question asked of Cornelius Bennett.  I always want to answer the way he did.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I think he was more expressing the sentiment that your average person or fan might have - that cashing in for pretty much all futures, again, looks pretty ridiculous 

My Adams-for-job-security meme breathes easy, now. He wanted his rebuild and he'll get it. Evaluation year 6.0 on the way

When GM Sheevyn's phantom menace coup finally reached its realization, all that was needed was to remove the one final viable competition from a position of power. That last thread is Jack-ikin Eichwalker. He's more machine now than man, and soon will be traded to some star cruiser in Outer Rim to waste away, from from the city-planet of KeyBank Center.

Every GM gets at least 3 years to make over the roster in their own choosing. Except here... here it's sometimes shorter.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So very highly questionable when it sounds like something he came to the conclusion on almost immediately after being brought in. It's pretty damn depressing: they've either identified Jack's affect on the "culture" to be a, or the, primary issue, which is absolutely ridiculous considering what the actual most likely reason for why we've been bad is (so KA doesn't know what he's doing), or, to me more likely, it's all in the name of garnering as many "low expectation" free pass years as necessary. I don't buy that they'd be afraid to p*ss off the fans by doing so: the "jack is bad for culture" narrative, even though it's exactly the same as the ROR one that we JUST went through, is something all too many are buying in to. 

Come ON people. Look what Adams is doing. Just look 

I don't discount this because I don't know Adams.

But you are essentially saying Adams is a rat-bastard bureaucrat who values keeping his job over being successful in it, and that he immediately made it his priority to consolidate power, as opposed to building a winner.

It seems that you are basing that almost completely on his decision to trade Eichel, and the premise that Eichel should not be traded. Am I missing other factors?

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The cocaine stuff goes back to Bogo and Kane supposedly being the influence for that. 

Could be complete BS

It is interesting to observe who Jack has connected with off the ice and who he has not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do you at least accept there are other legitimate reasons for not wanting to trade Jack? Ie - the entertainment value he provided in the midst of otherwise dreariness? I don't think you'd argue that it's *likely* KA turns this ship around, considering what we've seen come before. I'm not saying it won't happen but "doubting" what comes next would be a function of realism, at this point, no? So with that said, would you scoff at those who find value in the exceptional play he provides, where little other value can be found, when viewing through the prism of an entertainment product?

I'm not sure if you'd term me a "young" fan at 34 (how much relativity we talking here?) but I've been through decades of fandom and this still very much grinds my gears. 

The losing trumps everything else for me. Because this franchise has always been the little market engine that could. Before the Pegulas, there was plenty of winning and almost always plenty of hope. Owners from Seymour Knox to OSP had top-notch management from old Punch, to Scotty, to Muckler, to Darce. They all produced in varying degrees of success. This is uncharter territory for fans of a certain age. I'm just not up for enjoying the odd nice goal with nothing to show for it in the standings. My take has been that keeping Jack ensures continued torture for him and us.

In the end, I just never really liked the guy or his game.

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

When GM Sheevyn's phantom menace coup finally reached its realization, all that was needed was to remove the one final viable competition from a position of power. That last thread is Jack-ikin Eichwalker. He's more machine now than man, and soon will be traded to some star cruiser in Outer Rim to waste away, from from the city-planet of KeyBank Center.

Every GM gets at least 3 years to make over the roster in their own choosing. Except here... here it's sometimes shorter.

Dart guy still lives in Toronto, right? Pretty close to Buffalo. I do know Dart is originally from Kamino  - perhaps we should ask him about potential eichel Clones they may send back in return once they receive Eichwalker.