Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What kind of player is Comtois? Is he a second-line player? Others have described him as pesky and gritty. We certainly can use that type of  player. 

I still hold that any Jack deal with Anaheim that doesn't include Zegras is a bad deal for us. A Zegras, Comtois and their first pick (we throw in one of our second rd picks) seems to be a fair deal for us. 

I think his goals scored this past season are inflated based on his sh% but he's probably a 2nd line guy. Haven't really watched Anaheim so going off him as a prospect and what the stats look like in the past 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think his goals scored this past season are inflated based on his sh% but he's probably a 2nd line guy. Haven't really watched Anaheim so going off him as a prospect and what the stats look like in the past 2 years. 

Thanks for the assessment. I still hold to my position that unless Zegras is included in a proposed trade it makes no sense to make the deal with them. My ideal scenario would be Zegras, Comtois and their top pick. I'm sure there will have to be some add ins but in general that would be a reasonable deal for us and a good if not great deal for them. Too many people forget how talented Jack is. 

If you also consider the trade of Samson and probably Risto we should be able to cumulatively get a return of four contributing players to the roster. If 2-3 of those players are second-line caliber players then our roster will be a little thicker and the makeup will be altered. Will the Sabres be a better team? Maybe not in the short run but in the near future it could be.

I cant remember the last time I posted, or if I've even posted at all, but I had to log in because I am beside myself with the thought of trading away a franchise, 24 year old centerman who will top 100 points every year. I dont know what's worse, the Sabres making this move, or the fact that not every single person on this board is in a complete and total uproar. I actually see some of you saying that trading Eichel away and not even getting back one of Anaheim's top 2 prospects (Zegras, Drysdale) is a good deal. I'm sorry, what? If the Sabres dont get Zegras back, it would be so typical of them. They should absolutely get 3oa and Zegras, but even if you had to choose between the two, you take Zegras. He is better than any of the prospects at 3oa and he is more developed and NHL ready. How in the world can they make this trade. Its just unbelievable. But yeah, lets stockpile picks in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory and then target a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd line winger (Comtois). What a brilliant plan. Screw this organization

Edited by ElevatorBoy
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ElevatorBoy said:

I cant remember the last time I posted, or if I've even posted at all, but I had to log in because I am beside myself with the thought of trading away a franchise, 24 year old centerman who will top 100 points every year. I dont know what's worse, the Sabres making this move, or the fact that not every single person on this board is in an uproar. I actually see some of you saying that trading Eichel away and not even getting back one of Anaheim's top 2 prospects (Zegras, Drysdale) is a good deal. I'm sorry, what? If the Sabres dont get Zegras back, it would be so typical of them. They should absolutely get 3oa and Zegras, but even if you had to choose between the two, you take Zegras. He is better than any of the prospects at 3oa and he is more developed and NHL ready. How in the world can they make this trade. Its just unbelievable. But yeah, lets stockpile picks in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory and then target a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd line winger. What a brilliant plan. Screw this organization

Don't think anyone is calling a trade not involving Zegras a good deal, I think it is more that is what we expect because the organization screws up trades like this. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ElevatorBoy said:

I cant remember the last time I posted, or if I've even posted at all, but I had to log in because I am beside myself with the thought of trading away a franchise, 24 year old centerman who will top 100 points every year. I dont know what's worse, the Sabres making this move, or the fact that not every single person on this board is in an uproar. I actually see some of you saying that trading Eichel away and not even getting back one of Anaheim's top 2 prospects (Zegras, Drysdale) is a good deal. I'm sorry, what? If the Sabres dont get Zegras back, it would be so typical of them. They should absolutely get 3oa and Zegras, but even if you had to choose between the two, you take Zegras. He is better than any of the prospects at 3oa and he is more developed and NHL ready. How in the world can they make this trade. Its just unbelievable. But yeah, lets stockpile picks in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory and then target a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd line winger. What a brilliant plan. Screw this organization

A 24 year old that doesn’t want to play for the team, a 24 year old that has always had poor body language. A 24 year old that hasn’t lead this team anywhere near the playoffs. A 24 year old that is making $10 million a year but has had one good offensive year.  A 24 year old that is the Captain but has shown no leadership traits for this team.

I’m ready to move on. This team needs a new identity and new leadership on the ice.  The return on the trade has to be good though. They need  multiple quality assets in return. Try to build a cohesive young team that competes every night.

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

A 24 year old that doesn’t want to play for the team, a 24 year old that has always had poor body language. A 24 year old that hasn’t lead this team anywhere near the playoffs. A 24 year old that is making $10 million a year but has had one good offensive year.  A 24 year old that is the Captain but has shown no leadership traits for this team.

I’m ready to move on. This team needs a new identity and new leadership on the ice.  The return on the trade has to be good though. They need  multiple quality assets in return. Try to build a cohesive young team that competes every night.

You are drinking the kool-aid. Why doesnt he want to play for the organization? Same reason why Aaron Rodgers doesnt want to play for Green Bay and DeShaun Watson (before he was a criminal) didnt want to play for Houston: because of a series of incompetent, losing decisions made by the front office. That is the Sabres fault, not Jack's. Jack is not even remotely the problem. Why couldnt the organization surround him with talent? Why couldnt Taylor Hall score a damn point here? Why is that everyone who has had success elsewhere comes here and fails miserably? Why is it that players seem to regress here over time (Risto, Dahlin)? That is an organization problem and failure. They are not failing because of Jack Eichel's body language. Also, which came first, the losing or Eichel's tired attitude? I know the answer, do you? Despite one of the worst run organizations in any of the 4 major sports, Jack has put up savage numbers with wingers who cant seem to do anything else on other lines (looking at you, Skinner and Olofsson). When you have so many players affected (O'Reilly, Skinner, Hall, Risto, Dahlin, Lehner, the list goes on...) then there is a deeply rooted problem within the organization. It is not one single player. Eichel is not responsible for this, he is the only light shining in a room of total darkness. Get ready for another O'Reilly situation, except 10 times worse. 

Edited by ElevatorBoy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ElevatorBoy said:

I cant remember the last time I posted, or if I've even posted at all, but I had to log in because I am beside myself with the thought of trading away a franchise, 24 year old centerman who will top 100 points every year. I dont know what's worse, the Sabres making this move, or the fact that not every single person on this board is in a complete and total uproar. I actually see some of you saying that trading Eichel away and not even getting back one of Anaheim's top 2 prospects (Zegras, Drysdale) is a good deal. I'm sorry, what? If the Sabres dont get Zegras back, it would be so typical of them. They should absolutely get 3oa and Zegras, but even if you had to choose between the two, you take Zegras. He is better than any of the prospects at 3oa and he is more developed and NHL ready. How in the world can they make this trade. Its just unbelievable. But yeah, lets stockpile picks in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory and then target a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd line winger (Comtois). What a brilliant plan. Screw this organization

Thanks for posting.

I've been expecting this point of view and surprised that we haven't seen more of it.

We are going to be trading an elite talent for a grab bag of parts. No one will be impressed by the return.

It will feel like the O'Reilly trade. For us oldsters, it will feel like the Alex Mogilny trade.

The ROR return was even worse than it appeared. Hopefully, this trade skews more to the Mogilny trade over time.

But get ready, it's happening.

(PS: Comtois is better than you think. He's definitely top 6 and hard to play against. He's good enough that I worry that they won't trade him. He will help.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

The Jack Eichel trade will leave a major hole in the team that may never be recovered. Zegras, 3oa, and Comtois at least give you an option to recover in the near future but we will probably lose the trade at the start. We can only hope that Eichel's neck is healed or close to healed and that it allows us to acquire Zegras and 3oa because without Zegras, the Anaheim deal is a major fail. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ElevatorBoy said:

hey post more

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Even better is his/her tweet directly below:

"If you're a pro hockey player and you need the leadesrhip of a guy in his early 20s in order to not suck, then that's on you"

Been saying this for ages.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thanks for posting.

I've been expecting this point of view and surprised that we haven't seen more of it.

We are going to be trading an elite talent for a grab bag of parts. No one will be impressed by the return.

It will feel like the O'Reilly trade. For us oldsters, it will feel like the Alex Mogilny trade.

The ROR return was even worse than it appeared. Hopefully, this trade skews more to the Mogilny trade over time.

But get ready, it's happening.

(PS: Comtois is better than you think. He's definitely top 6 and hard to play against. He's good enough that I worry that they won't trade him. He will help.)

hey now watch who you're calling old!

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Jack Eichel trade will leave a major hole in the team that may never be recovered. Zegras, 3oa, and Comtois at least give you an option to recover in the near future but we will probably lose the trade at the start. We can only hope that Eichel's neck is healed or close to healed and that it allows us to acquire Zegras and 3oa because without Zegras, the Anaheim deal is a major fail. 

After this trade, the hunt for a 1C begins. 

13044w.thumb.jpg.0e1d2d47b2358139e674b484d477e843.jpg

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

Again with the hand ringing about trading 2018 Jack Eichel and not the summer of 2021 Jack Eichel. If you all bought a crystal ball from the sharper image, give us the Deets.

To me the default is that he'll recover. Seems to be more common with players his age than not. 

55 minutes ago, ElevatorBoy said:

You are drinking the kool-aid. Why doesnt he want to play for the organization? Same reason why Aaron Rodgers doesnt want to play for Green Bay and DeShaun Watson (before he was a criminal) didnt want to play for Houston: because of a series of incompetent, losing decisions made by the front office. That is the Sabres fault, not Jack's. Jack is not even remotely the problem. Why couldnt the organization surround him with talent? Why couldnt Taylor Hall score a damn point here? Why is that everyone who has had success elsewhere comes here and fails miserably? Why is it that players seem to regress here over time (Risto, Dahlin)? That is an organization problem and failure. They are not failing because of Jack Eichel's body language. Also, which came first, the losing or Eichel's tired attitude? I know the answer, do you? Despite one of the worst run organizations in any of the 4 major sports, Jack has put up savage numbers with wingers who cant seem to do anything else on other lines (looking at you, Skinner and Olofsson). When you have so many players affected (O'Reilly, Skinner, Hall, Risto, Dahlin, Lehner, the list goes on...) then there is a deeply rooted problem within the organization. It is not one single player. Eichel is not responsible for this, he is the only light shining in a room of total darkness. Get ready for another O'Reilly situation, except 10 times worse. 

No one is saying it is all Jack’s fault.  It is an incompetent organization that can’t properly build a team.  But Jack is done here and has been for a while. He hasn’t been the biggest problem but for a $10 million Captain he hasn’t been the solution either.  Time to move on.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To me the default is that he'll recover. Seems to be more common with players his age than not. 

Is it? I don’t know his details or that of others. I know he wants to perform a non-routine surgery which suggests the situation is bad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is it? I don’t know his details or that of others. I know he wants to perform a non-routine surgery which suggests the situation is bad.

A) I don't think he gets it

B) If a team decides to let him get it I'd probably take a bit of solace in their comfort level with it. I'd defer to their decision, at least until we see the results. 

Thankfully the results can be judged like anything else - people will reasonably react to the trade under the prism of what we know Jack to be when healthy - but if JE never returns to form the return can be evaluated and reevaluated in much the same way as it will once we assess how the newly acquired assets perform in Buffalo (and the timeline for such, therein) 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A) I don't think he gets it

B) If a team decides to let him get it I'd probably take a bit of solace in their comfort level with it. I'd defer to their decision, at least until we see the results. 

Thankfully the results can be judged like anything else - people will reasonably react to the trade under the prism of what we know Jack to be when healthy - but if JE never returns to form the return can be evaluated and reevaluated in much the same way as it will once we assess how the newly acquired assets perform in Buffalo (and the timeline for such, therein) 

As fans, here is what we know. Jack Eichel cannot play hockey until someone sees him play hockey again or there is some definitive statement that he will be ready in the short term.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

As fans, here is what we know. Jack Eichel cannot play hockey until someone sees him play hockey again or there is some definitive statement that he will be ready in the short term.

Just when I think we are finally getting somewhere with prospects developing well and maybe even have a coach in Granato and we're gonna change the centerpiece of the team.  Even have a number 1 overall pick that can slide in and not have to be the guy just be depth to start.  Just sell Eichel on one more year and see what happens. If rumors are true he's not going to a winning franchise so he can't be too excited about his trade destination. 

Oh Eklund,

On Eichel...

Columbus will be all over Eichel this summer...For many reasons...Of course the addition of Eichel would seriously help to temper the loss of Seth Jones....He is a star and he is signed for many more years...Columbus also has the kinds of prospects to get a deal done.“

the Blue Jackets have one of the worst prospect pools in hockey.  I don’t see anything from Columbus that interests me.  5 OA can’t be the centre piece.

And Eichel will LOVE playing for Columbus.

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Oh Eklund,

On Eichel...

Columbus will be all over Eichel this summer...For many reasons...Of course the addition of Eichel would seriously help to temper the loss of Seth Jones....He is a star and he is signed for many more years...Columbus also has the kinds of prospects to get a deal done.“

the Blue Jackets have one of the worst prospect pools in hockey.  I don’t see anything from Columbus that interests me.  5 OA can’t be the centre piece.

And Eichel will LOVE playing for Columbus.

5OA (Kent Johnson), Seth Jones, Merzlikins for Eichel

E5