Sabres have made it a Top Priority to Re-Sign Linus Ullmark per Friedman

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think the expansion draft will help the Sabres, if they can not sign ullmark. 
there are a few teams that can’t protect 2 good goalies. 
Sabres now have enough draft capital to pry one lose, rather than that team losing the player for nothing 

I believe there were a few trades prior to the Golden Knights draft 

The Sabres will definitely have flexibility if they choose

The way thing stand now they literally do not have a goalie to protect.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I still think we should have got something now and then tried to get him back in free agency. We'd also get to see how he plays behind a better team and in the playoffs. Better way to judge his true value. and we'd have another pick or whatever . 

So you're saying winning isn't important?

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I still think we should have got something now and then tried to get him back in free agency. We'd also get to see how he plays behind a better team and in the playoffs. Better way to judge his true value. and we'd have another pick or whatever . 

In a vacuum, I kind of agree.

However, I see a lot of value in keeping him for the season though.  The kids are coming along and I don’t want to crush them by burying their good play under AHL level goaltending.  Let them stay in most games and compete down the stretch.

Who knows, improvement in team play and visible growth from the kids could encourage Ullmark to stay.  If he was traded, it wouldn’t have been long before it became obvious to everyone that it is futile.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So you're saying winning isn't important?

Not this season no, it isn't. Not anymore. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

However, I see a lot of value in keeping him for the season though.  The kids are coming along and I don’t want to crush them by burying their good play under AHL level goaltending.  Let them stay in most games and compete down the stretch.

Who knows, improvement in team play and visible growth from the kids could encourage Ullmark to stay.  If he was traded, it wouldn’t have been long before it became obvious to everyone that it is futile.

Or , you create the false illusion that everything's okay and this season was just a little bad luck and a bad coach so all we need do is stay the course. You want that?

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Or , you create the false illusion that everything's okay and this season was just a little bad luck and a bad coach so all we need do is stay the course. You want that?

How come it's not important to win anymore this season? what? really? 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I suppose this could happen, but if management is going to be dumb then the team is kind of screwed either way, innit?

10 hours ago, Curt said:

This is where I’m at. Generally speaking, I don’t believe winning at the end of the season means much. With this group, where the franchise is at, I think it takes on a deeper meaning.

I do disagree that it influences Linus at all. Players know the situation, they don’t need a late season winning streak to influence them.

18 hours ago, Norcal said:

I think you're right. All sorts of players could be available from whats being talked about in the media.

Lots of teams will be looking to move pieces rather than lose them in expansion.

Other teams face cap implications so that will cause movement as well.

Those two seconds and two thirds could net more than they would in a normal year. 

Two seconds being the Sabres and the acquired pick 

If we are getting a goalie pre expansion draft, that a team is trading because they think they may get selected, we'll have to protect the goalie likely, so maybe there is merit to the idea they are specifically waiting to sign Ullmark until after draft

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

The have to expose one goalie under contract. That’s why they signed Tokarski to a 2-year deal.

So I suppose they could chose to not protect a goalie at all actually haha. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If we are getting a goalie pre expansion draft, that a team is trading because they think they may get selected, we'll have to protect the goalie likely, so maybe there is merit to the idea they are specifically waiting to sign Ullmark until after draft

That would allow them to potentially get a better caliber goalie to pair with Ullmark next year 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

How come it's not important to win anymore this season? what? really? 

cause we're out of the playoffs. The minute you're out of contention as an organization you have to shift to the future so you trade at the deadline, you test the market for potential future deals, you evaluate players and see what you have in development. Then you turn to scouting everything you can and you work on your plan for next year. Winning is irrelevant, you just decrease your draft odds. 

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I suppose this could happen, but if management is going to be dumb then the team is kind of screwed either way, innit?

Already an article about Granato being the possible head coach next year. You just watch, we're going to do next to nothing. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause we're out of the playoffs. The minute you're out of contention as an organization you have to shift to the future

No.  That mindset is what got us here and separates us from teams that successfully rebuild/reload on the fly.

I’ll add, it was a lost season that ended with a very young team figuring out how win that immediately proceeded our last good run.  If the team took the sell everyone not nailed down approach that season would those kids have figured out what winning tastes like in time before contracts ended that fun?

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause we're out of the playoffs. The minute you're out of contention as an organization you have to shift to the future so you trade at the deadline, you test the market for potential future deals, you evaluate players and see what you have in development. Then you turn to scouting everything you can and you work on your plan for next year. Winning is irrelevant, you just decrease your draft odds. 

Already an article about Granato being the possible head coach next year. You just watch, we're going to do next to nothing. 

Yeah, saw that.  Hmmm. 🧐

Im pretty skeptical about that working out.

That is loser mentality right there, sorry but your dead wrong.

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

That is loser mentality right there, sorry but your dead wrong.

No, I don't think so. The limited success we're having right now is not being driven by the players who you could move out. It's not Reinhart or Risto leading this slight resurgence, it's Mittlestadt and Dahlin.

The bottom line for me is the old core was rotten and returning to them as the main focus will lead to the same rot. I'm holding to that view until results prove it wrong. Trading Ullmark wouldn't change any of that. 

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, I don't think so. The limited success we're having right now is not being driven by the players who you could move out. It's not Reinhart or Risto leading this slight resurgence, it's Mittlestadt and Dahlin.

The bottom line for me is the old core was rotten and returning to them as the main focus will lead to the same rot. I'm holding to that view until results prove it wrong. Trading Ullmark wouldn't change any of that. 

Well, 

Thank god were all different.

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The problem with this approach is, who is replacing all of these guys you want to ship out?  Next man standing?  You are correct in that the folks you wanted moved for scratch offs are not fueling the limited success we have seen, but the next guys up to replace them are not even NHLers.  They will get caved in every game and we go back to Team Morose.  And that is the worst possible environment to put these kids in to prepare for next season.  You don't need more proof that this doesn't work.  You've actually watched it live for the last 7 seasons.

At least the vets we have aren't getting caved in.  It's a much more positive developmental environment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.