Sabres have made it a Top Priority to Re-Sign Linus Ullmark per Friedman

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If he wants to test FA it's at least 75% likely that he leaves.

I'm OK with that outcome.  Depending on the contract I'm OK with them keeping him but if they are determined they can bring in 2 goalies who are at Ullmark's level.

Who are the last two goalies we have brought in that are as skilled as Ullmark is right this second, wherever one thinks that level is? Have they been here in the last decade?

Maybe Lehner was as skilled as Linus when we brought him in, I'm not sure. 

We got decent play out of randos in the tank years, but those guys never stuck around and washed out of the league. 

We could have brought in a 2C on par with the season ROR gave us in 17-18 too, but here we are 3 seasons later and our best 2C attempt was probably Marcus Johansson

I won't be as comfortable about this possibility as you until I see news about a John Gibson trade or something on that level

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If he wants to test FA it's at least 75% likely that he leaves.

I'm OK with that outcome.  Depending on the contract I'm OK with them keeping him but if they are determined they can bring in 2 goalies who are at Ullmark's level.

The kids are gaining confidence & are playing loose & hard.  Shipping Ullmark out tomorrow would significantly set that back.

If he leaves in FA, so be it.  Don't send him away for a package that helps 2-3 years from now.  (And they can't get legit help for next year unless something really strange happens tomorrow.)  That seems pennywise & pound foolish IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Play to win the rest of the season, even if it means we don't get a return for Ullmark.  We cannot afford to continue to allow losing to be acceptable to yet another generation of young players.

There is a lot of merit to this.

Not sure where I draw the line on where the return justifies the sacrifice. We’d need to be bringing in another goalie at minimum. Adams should have a contingency in place for this situation.

The Demko contract is my Maginot Line. If the Sabres refused to match, they’re being stupid. There remains the possibility that Ullmark was always going to be checking out his options regardless.

Also, *****!

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure where I draw the line on where the return justifies the sacrifice. We’d need to be bringing in another goalie at minimum. Adams should have a contingency in place for this situation.

The Demko contract is my Maginot Line. If the Sabres refused to match, they’re being stupid. There remains the possibility that Ullmark was always going to be checking out his options regardless.

Also, *****!

So easily bypassable?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Play to win the rest of the season, even if it means we don't get a return for Ullmark.  We cannot afford to continue to allow losing to be acceptable to yet another generation of young players.

Yet another price to be paid for the decisions that led us here.

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The kids are gaining confidence & are playing loose & hard.  Shipping Ullmark out tomorrow would significantly set that back.

If he leaves in FA, so be it.  Don't send him away for a package that helps 2-3 years from now.  (And they can't get legit help for next year unless something really strange happens tomorrow.)  That seems pennywise & pound foolish IMHO. 

Yeah, these are valid viewpoints.  It’s a tough choice.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is reasonable, but I need to know what they can get for him before I decide whether I'm on board with keeping him.  If it's a #2 or a good prospect -- I'd probably trade him. 

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, *****!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Trading Ullmark is a mistake. 

Keeping him and having him walk for nothing is the mistake.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/report-linus-ullmark-expected-to-test-free-agency-in-the-offseason

Nothing to stop us from making a good offer after and we are likely to give him his best offer so get something now and see later. 

He's decent, but he's not all that. It's just that Hutton's so bad you all think he's great by comparison. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Keeping him and having him walk for nothing is the mistake.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/report-linus-ullmark-expected-to-test-free-agency-in-the-offseason

Nothing to stop us from making a good offer after and we are likely to give him his best offer so get something now and see later. 

He's decent, but he's not all that. It's just that Hutton's so bad you all think he's great by comparison. 

He's 16th in the league for sv%

Anyone who supports trading Ullmark can never seriously say "winning is important"

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s a question:  if you were KA, would you take the same package for Linus (a 2nd plus a Bjork-type prospect) that you just got for Hall, since Linus has said he’s testing FA?

I would.  

I think that’s what we will see tomorrow. Although I’m betting it’ll be a 3rd and possibly a low prospect. 

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s a question:  if you were KA, would you take the same package for Linus (a 2nd plus a Bjork-type prospect) that you just got for Hall, since Linus has said he’s testing FA?

I would.  

I think he is worth more than Hall.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think he is worth more than Hall.

He definitely should be.

But I'm not sure who is going to be paying that price for a rental goalie, because he would have to be a starter.

I think the Leafs, the Bruins and the Avs were the only options in the goalie market at all, no? Caps maybe? And the Leafs and the Avs have made their moves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.