Taylor Hall sitting -- possible trade incoming

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don’t doubt this. Everyone has a damn problem with someone. I guess in a diverse society, everyone gets picked on. Not that it’s right. And as more women and minorities enter positions of power more white men might get discriminated against as—we hope—the total level of discrimination in society as a whole declines. 

What the data tells me is that we are not doing well raising future generations acceptance. And, in a society such as ours, where "division" is broadcast to the masses daily, hourly, by the minute, is it any surprise?

True change starts from the indivual.

• Thanks (+1) 1
17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't think I'm overthinking it at all, and I've already posted I think Hall's value is a high second. Getting less than a 2nd would be a huge surprise to me. 40-point wingers go for 2nd-rounders all the time.

Hall has 19 points to Palmieri's 17, as well as better analytics, a higher skill level, and a better track record.

If you want to add to your top six, who else is available? Mike Hoffman isn't as good as Hall. Neither is Ryan Dzingel or Markus Granlund or Nick Foligno.

Athanasiou went for two seconds last year. Pageau for a 1st and 2nd. Zucker for a 1st. Toffoli went for a 2nd, a 4th and a prospect. People got 2nds for Andy Green, Brendan Dillon and Marco Scandella and 3rds for Patrick Marleau and Ilya Kovalchuk

The corpse of Eric ***** Staal went for a 3rd and a 5th this year.

Hall is putting up numbers about 75 percent of last year when he got a 1st, a 3rd and two B prospects.

We will have to eat salary, but we are getting more than a 3rd-round pick for Taylor Hall.

The cost calculation goes beyond more than his talent and production compared to other players. Because he is an UFA he is a probable rental unless the team interested in him can determine if he has a desire to work out a reasonable deal in his next contract. If the Sabres get a second round pick or more for him I will be happy. 

The shame of the Hall acquisition is that if this organization wasn't so dysfunctional his one year deal with us could have made sense. Just like so many other players on this roster under Krueger his talents were squandered. That's what happens when your philosophy is to serve the system as if it is a religious tenet instead of putting the player in a position to succeed. And as soon as a coaching replacement most of the players on the roster seemed to be revitalized. 

I'm far from being a Hall basher. He got caught up in the vortex of organizational incompetence and the result was that he and the team were diminished. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The shame of the Hall acquisition is that if this organization wasn't so dysfunctional his one year deal with us could have made sense. Just like so many other players on this roster under Krueger his talents were squandered. That's what happens when your philosophy is to serve the system as if it is a religious tenet instead of putting the player in a position to succeed. And as soon as a coaching replacement most of the players on the roster seemed to be revitalized. 

I'm far from being a Hall basher. He got caught up in the vortex of organizational incompetence and the result was that he and the team were diminished. 

Just think if HCRK had not been in charge to start the season, or rather, if Granato had been given more control of the offensive attack to maximize the potential of the roster that had been assembled (assorted non-gritty skill guys and overwhelmingly "puck-moving" vs. stay-at-home/defensive defensemen). We could still very well be out of the playoffs and selling at the deadline because the quality of the division and injuries. But Hall and Staal would have had high-end trade value with "normal" seasons.

Granato's team is averaging 2.75 goals/game in 12 games -- mostly without Cozens, often without Hall, and completely without Eichel. No PP support whatsoever.

RK's team averaged 2.14 goals/game in 28 games -- and had one of the league's top-rated PPs for half of it, and Cozens/Hall, and even sometimes a functional Eichel.

• Like (+1) 2
32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The cost calculation goes beyond more than his talent and production compared to other players. Because he is an UFA he is a probable rental unless the team interested in him can determine if he has a desire to work out a reasonable deal in his next contract. If the Sabres get a second round pick or more for him I will be happy. 

Every single player I cited was also a pending UFA.

I wouldn't say I'd be "happy" with a second, but I would be OK with it. It's on the low end of the going rate.

As for the rest of your post, I would hope what the other skill players are doing in the wake of Ralph's firing nudges a few cautious GMs in the right direction.

Edited by dudacek
Just now, Norcal said:

Make today the day please. The closer it gets to the deadline the more the asking price goes down. 

Why do you think that?

Just now, Curt said:

Why do you think that?

Teams are finding their pieces, there will be less teams calling so I feel like the Sabres will lose leverage. 

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Teams are finding their pieces, there will be less teams calling so I feel like the Sabres will lose leverage. 

There has been one trade made so far that is on the level of a Hall trade.

Legit rumors usually come from support staff. Having a lean staff reduces the likelihood of “real” rumors.

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I would agree, if teams were finding their pieces. So far just one team has though.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There has been one trade made so far that is on the level of a Hall trade.

Legit rumors usually come from support staff. Having a lean staff reduces the likelihood of “real” rumors.

I'm hopeful, just anxious to get it done

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would agree, if teams were finding their pieces. So far just one team has though.

With Toronto rumored to be happy with Galchenyuk maybe they have their guy too? 

Watching the talking heads also led me to this line of thinking btw.

More than a couple guys have said that the closer to the deadline it gets the lower the offers will be because the Sabres will be low on options at that point as more players are moved. 

17 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I'm hopeful, just anxious to get it done

With Toronto rumored to be happy with Galchenyuk maybe they have their guy too? 

What’s better than Galchenyuk?  Galchenyuk + Hall!

Toronto actually make a move yesterday to open themselves up some more cap space, so I’m pretty sure they are looking to add someone.  Plus, this is their time to go for it!

Seriously though, it’s impossible to evaluate something like this from the outside.  We know hardly anything about what’s going on.  If a couple more deals happen and Hall is still sitting here, then I’ll “worry” more.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Toronto actually make a move yesterday to open themselves up some more cap space, so I’m pretty sure they are looking to add someone.  Plus, this is their time to go for it!

Seriously though, it’s impossible to evaluate something like this from the outside.  We know hardly anything about what’s going on.  If a couple more deals happen and Hall is still sitting here, then I’ll “worry” more.

The deal they made yesterday only opens up space if Andersson is out till playoffs but they could still make it happen.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah that's the standard thinking, that Toronto will add Hall, or somebody else also.

I'm just ready to see some action.

• Like (+1) 2

I am hoping Adams might be able to leverage Hall into a good but not elite 18- to 23-year-old young player or prospect with adds, dumps and/or salary retention involved.

I'm thinking another team's version of a Tage Thompson, Ryan Johnson or Rasmus Asplund? Someone like Jokiharju was when Botts traded for him?

I see these teams as potentially interested in Hall: FLA, Bos, Col, Tor, Stl, Nas, Min, Edm, Mon, NYI...

Maybe a Grigori Denisenko or a Tyson Jost?

Is this reasonable?

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Curt said:

Why do you think that?

Because it's how it works.  I have a new fear that he is going to go right at the deadline, we are going to retain like 50% salary, and we are only going to get a 2nd or  *even* a third for him, plus maybe an additional something of little value.

I really thought he would be gone a long time by now!  Surprised they have held him out of the lineup like this, to be honest.

Last night during the Caps game, Criag Laughlin was quite vocal in his criticism of the Sabres for doing that.  

He said  you have to play the player for the fans watching the game, basically, even with some small degree of risk that he might be injured.

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Yeah that's the standard thinking, that Toronto will add Hall, or somebody else also.

I'm just ready to see some action.

If it was Toronto, I’d think the trade would already have been made to get the quarantine done. No sense waiting once Palmieri was gone to the isles

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Because it's how it works.  I have a new fear that he is going to go right at the deadline, we are going to retain like 50% salary, and we are only going to get a 2nd or  *even* a third for him, plus maybe an additional something of little value.

I really thought he would be gone a long time by now!  Surprised they have held him out of the lineup like this, to be honest.

Last night during the Caps game, Criag Laughlin was quite vocal in his criticism of the Sabres for doing that.  

He said  you have to play the player for the fans watching the game, basically, even with some small degree of risk that he might be injured.

Well, I think his value may not be much more than a 2nd honestly.

Did you see what NJ had to do for a late 1st?  Both Palmerie (having a better season than Hall) and Zajac, both 50% retained.  In exchange they got a 1st, a conditional 4th, and two AHLers (25 and 27 years old), one of whom is a UFA anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Craig Laughlin can go to hell. Idc what he thinks. 

I don't have play someone so another teams fans are happy

• Like (+1) 4
  • SDS locked this topic