Sabres to Resume Practice Today 2/9/21 1:15 pm

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

And where has he played on those lines? If he is so awful why is he continually put on a line he can't play on?

So now Jack Eichel doesn't like Skinner... that's the new narrative going round. Fantastic, guess they hated eachother 2 years ago when they put up their best seasons. 

I'll rephrase what has Victor Olofsson shown at 5v5 that allows him to keep getting top line and top 6 chances? He isn't that good 5v5 and never has been even in the SHL, yet here we are. 

What, people can say Ralph doesn't like Skinner, but they can't say Jack doesn't like Skinner? With the same amount of evidence?

Remember when Jeff Skinner played on the first line in the spring of 2019 and scored 1 goal in 20 games? How about his current run of 3 goals in 32 games playing against 3rd pairing defencemen? Toby Rieder has 3 goals in his past 10 with similar ice time and linemates and tougher minutes.

When are you going to stop blaming everyone else for Jeff's poor play?

(For the record, I am not suggesting Jack doesn't like Jeff. I am saying that Jack has enough power and influence that if he went to Ralph and said "maybe we should give it a try" it would happen. I have heard Jack talk about how much he likes playing with Victor. Hmmm...)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I deleted out the irrelevant things. If Jeff Skinner is playing poorly, why do his underlying numbers not bare that out?

Maybe the underlying numbers don't mean as much as actual goals for and against?

He has 7 goals and 7 assists in his last 56 games.

Just now, dudacek said:

Yes, Jeff's played really well. Everyone can see it.

Goes from 40g to 14g the moment Krueger gets there with his TOI slashed by 2m. Goes from playing with Eichel to 3rd line/4th line. Whatever Kruger thinks he's accomplishing here clearly isn't working but his stubbornness to stick to his principles has us wasting $9M per year. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, WildCard said:

Goes from 40g to 14g the moment Krueger gets there with his TOI slashed by 2m. Goes from playing with Eichel to 3rd line/4th line. Whatever Kruger thinks he's accomplishing here clearly isn't working but his stubbornness to stick to his principles has us wasting $9M per year. 

He is capable of more than what he has produced away from Jack, and playing him with Jack isn't a magical gaurantee that he will score 40. Skinner's lack of production predates Krueger, and he has produced away from Jack, even in Buffalo

• With Housley and Eichel first half: GP:41 28/13/41
  • With Housley and Eichel second half: GP:41 12/10/22
  • With Krueger and Johannson October: GP: 13 7/3/10
  • With Krueger and many others since: GP: 56 7/7/14

He didn't produce 1st line numbers with 1st line minutes in the second half of his first season

And he did produce with crappy players during Krueger's first month here.

You guys need to stop making excuses for him. He needs to be better, regardless of how he's been used.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Actually, it was 36 in 61 followed by 4 in 21 and then 14 in 69 (and counting).

So, pretty much nothing since his knee injury that he played through (excepting the last 3 games of '18-'19 & the 1st month of '19-'20 (13 games)) has worked.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He is capable of more than what he has produced away from Jack, and playing him with Jack isn't a magical gaurantee that he will score 40. Skinner's lack of production predates Krueger, and he has produced away from Jack, even in Buffalo

• With Housley and Eichel first half: GP:41 28/13/41
  • With Housley and Eichel second half: GP:41 12/10/22
  • With Krueger and Johannson October: GP: 13 7/3/10
  • With Krueger and many others since: GP: 56 7/7/14

He didn't produce 1st line numbers with 1st line minutes in the second half of his first season

And he did produce with crappy players during Krueger's first month here.

You guys need to stop making excuses for him. He needs to be better, regardless of how he's been used.

Just now, Taro T said:

Actually, it was 36 in 61 followed by 4 in 21 and then 14 in 69 (and counting).

So, pretty much nothing since his knee injury that he played through (excepting the last 3 games of '18-'19 & the 1st month of '19-'20 (13 games)) has worked.

These are fair points. I still think he should be paired with Jack and see if it works.

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

These are fair points. I still think he should be paired with Jack and see if it works.

Also fair.

I’ve never had any trouble with people wanting this, or slamming Krueger for not trying it.

Just with giving Jeff a free pass for his ***** production.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not making excuses. If his underlying numbers were trash I would be pissed. Honestly, they should trade him because Krueger refuses to use him in a way that will help the team produce goals. 

It isn't a free pass. You invented that in your head. Skinner isn't sniper, he is a volume shooter just like Kane who is best at collecting rebounds around the net and firing those home. He isn't a great passer but is okay and he freelances too much. Putting him with depth forward 1 and depth forward 2 isn't maximizing what he does do well. Skinner isnt going to suddenly become a new player at his age. So either trade him away or use him in a way that makes him effective because right now it is a ***** waste. 

Can Jeff Skinner be a better, more effective player than what he has been over the past 50-odd games given 14 minutes a night away from Jack Eichel?

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, so trade him. We've watched this show for 1 full season already. We know he isn't effective and I don't think he will suddenly become so. That said though, his underlying numbers tell us he isn't just playing like garbage, he is still generating chances and still creating, it is simply that that isn't enough to get the desired end result. 

So, how do you explain October 2019?

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, so trade him. We've watched this show for 1 full season already. We know he isn't effective and I don't think he will suddenly become so. That said though, his underlying numbers tell us he isn't just playing like garbage, he is still generating chances and still creating, it is simply that that isn't enough to get the desired end result. 

So he's basically a limited NHL hockey player: a streaky goal scorer who works hard in bursts and draws penalties, but cannot produce away from optimal players/situations, elevate the play of his linemates, or be trusted to protect the puck or play responsible defence.

It's hard to imagine that people thought he was better than Sam Reinhart, eh? Or that he was worth $9 million.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

So he's basically he's a limited NHL hockey player: a streaky goal scorer who works hard in bursts and draws penalties, but cannot produce away from optimal players/situations, elevate the play of his linemates, or be trusted to protect the puck or play responsible defence.

It's hard to imagine that people thought he was better than Sam Reinhart, eh? Or that he was worth $9 million.

Only 5 people in this world that we know that thought he was worth $9MMx8.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.