Buffalo Sabres Training Camp (2020/21)

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Good points.  The coach is the coach and I don't want someone who's focus is more on keeping players happy then keeping players motivated and in the best position for the team to win.  If you don't like your ice time or line mates then work harder at playing the system and moving up in the lineup.  You shouldn't be happy based on what you've shown from last November to today.  Blame RK all you want, the guy is too talented to be completely invisible for long stretches like he was last year.

Ya this should be an interesting waiver list I would think. 

Anyone know what the cap situation looks like?  I assume Girgs salary is coming off the books so there should be atleast that to add if necessary?

They've a smidge more than $2MM in available cap space w/ Girgensons on the roster according to Puckapedia.  Z's salary doesn't "come off the books" until they actually will go over the cap replacing him.  Right now, there isn't anybody on the taxi squad or in Ra-cha-cha that would push them over the cap by adding them to the 23 man roster.

So, with Girgensons being injured, they could either make a move to bring in a ~$4MM goalie (without sending any salary back) or keep things status quo hoping (futilely IMHO) to stay healthy all year and have some cap space to cover the nearly inevitable rookie bonuses that will be earned saving cap space next year.  

Edited by Taro T

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d love for them to get a Hutton upgrade, but until Hutton actually stinks in real games, I doubt KA makes a move.

Unfortunately I agree.

But didn't they have all last seasons real games as evidence that it didn't work?  Again, what a chance they are taking wasting another Eichel year, Hall year, Dahlin year.  You can't sign Hall to finally go for it this year and stick with such unproven goaltending can they?  It appears they can.  Hope it works out but this is almost as disastrous as JBOT not replacing 2nd line C when it too was so obvious.  Everyone and their grandmothers have major concerns about goaltending yet here we are on the eve of the season going with these two again.  For what it's worth I really do like Ullmark. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Unfortunately I agree.

But didn't they have all last seasons real games as evidence that it didn't work?  Again, what a chance they are taking wasting another Eichel year, Hall year, Dahlin year.  You can't sign Hall to finally go for it this year and stick with such unproven goaltending can they?  It appears they can.  Hope it works out but this is almost as disastrous as JBOT not replacing 2nd line C when it too was so obvious.  Everyone and their grandmothers have major concerns about goaltending yet here we are on the eve of the season going with these two again.  For what it's worth I really do like Ullmark. 

Especially this year with a compressed schedule and so many back to back games.  I thought replacing Hutton was going to be one of the highest priorities this off-season with so many goalies on the open market.  Wrong.  I also thought we needed RWs instead of LWs.  Wrong there as well.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I don't trust Krueger. I want too but I can't when it was clear that Ruotsalainen is one of the better players on this team. TO demote him because of preconceived notions and keep Sheahan/Lazar/Rieder/Eakin is just another poor decision by an organization that thrives on doing easy things wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't trust Krueger. I want too but I can't when it was clear that Ruotsalainen is one of the better players on this team. TO demote him because of preconceived notions and keep Sheahan/Lazar/Rieder/Eakin is just another poor decision by an organization that thrives on doing easy things wrong. 

That bottom 6 is really scary bad. Pair Skinner with Routsalainen and you might have a very effective 3rd scoring line.  Why risk that when you can field 5 lousy vets instead.

Someone wrote that RK’s goal was to build lines with some logic to them.  What logic is there in a line of Skinner Lazar and Sheahan? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, I understand the mis-trust given the last few years but RK has such a better rep outside Buffalo. Another article today in Athletic where 22 GM’s have him tied for second among likely coach of year candidates.

They are trying to create a program where guys earn their spots. In addition, this year there is even less room for error. If he gets his game going he will be back up. In the meantime the veterans have a role to play. Jack has continuously talked about the need for veteran presence.

22 minutes ago, Shootica said:

That, by my count, brings us to a full 23 man roster and 6 man taxi squad.

Yep. Congratulations to Borgen, Mittelstadt, Asplund and anyone else who made the cut

It looks like this is our team this year (from what Ralph said, it doesn't look like it will matter which of the spares are technically on the taxi squad):

Hall Eichel XXX

XXX Staal Reinhart

YYY Eakin Okposo

XXX YYY YYY

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Miller Jokiharju

Ullmark

Hutton

XXX: Skinner, Thompson, Olofsson (Cozens, Mittelstadt, Quinn)

YYY: Reider, Lazar, Sheahan, Asplund, Cozens, Mittelstadt, (Quinn), Girgensons

ZZZ: Irwin, Borgen, Davidson, Johansson

Here's to hoping that Kevyn acquired the right pieces and Ralph makes the right choices.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Again, I understand the mis-trust given the last few years but RK has such a better rep outside Buffalo. Another article today in Athletic where 22 GM’s have him tied for second among likely coach of year candidates.

They are trying to create a program where guys earn their spots. In addition, this year there is even less room for error. If he gets his game going he will be back up. In the meantime the veterans have a role to play. Jack has continuously talked about the need for veteran presence.

Last season the only real offensive improvement on the Sabres came from the addition of talented kids to the lineup, specifically VO and Jokiharju.  All the returning players were level or declined at ES under RK.  Jack wanted vets like Hall and Staal and he got them (for a year).  Adding Eakin, Rieder and Sheahan are nothing but roster filler and they are as easily replaced as they were acquired.  They may help the PK, but so would better goaltending, a more precessing need then 3 new 4th vets.  We would be so much better off this season taking a chance on Mitts or Routsalainen then playing the likes Rieder and Sheahan.  At least Routsalainen and Mitts have upside.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d love for them to get a Hutton upgrade, but until Hutton actually stinks in real games, I doubt KA makes a move.

The more important issue than Hutton, the backup, is whether Ullmark as a starter can play as a solid to good #1 goalie and handle the load. I think he can but I can't say for sure. Marty Biron has often stated that if Hutton is not overused his play is more than adequate. It's a legitimate question to ask if Hutton's eye issue affected his play or has he reached the point where he just can't play well enough any longer. I'm simply not sure. 

There are those who strenuously advocate for Hutton to be dispatched before the season begins. It's not going to happen. The tandem we have is the tandem we are going to go with. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Congratulations to Borgen, Mittelstadt, Asplund and anyone else who made the cut

Yep. It looks like this is our team this year (from what Ralph said, it doesn't look like it will matter which of the spares are technically on the taxi squad):

Hall Eichel XXX

XXX Staal Reinhart

YYY Eakin Okposo

XXX YYY YYY

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Miller Jokiharju

Ullmark

Hutton

XXX: Skinner, Thompson, Olofsson (Cozens, Mittelstadt, Quinn)

YYY: Reider, Lazar, Sheahan, Asplund, Cozens, Mittelstadt, (Quinn), Girgensons

ZZZ: Irwin, Borgen, Davidson, Johansson

Here's to hoping that Kevyn acquired the right pieces and Ralph makes the right choices.

Good luck with that.  Thompson is the 1RW, VO the 2LW, Skinner the 4 LW.  We can stop there.  The rest is just filler, until he gives the kids a chance.  Sadly that probably won’t come til February and it will be to late by then.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The more important issue than Hutton, the backup, is whether Ullmark as a starter can play as a solid to good #1 goalie and handle the load. I think he can but I can't say for sure. Marty Biron has often stated that if Hutton is not overused his play is more than adequate. It's a legitimate question to ask if Hutton's eye issue affected his play or has he reached the point where he just can't play well enough any longer. I'm simply not sure. 

There are those who strenuously advocate for Hutton to be dispatched before the season begins. It's not going to happen. The tandem we have is the tandem we are going to go with. 

From the Athletic's annual goalie ranking, gleaned from a poll of 6 NHL GMs, 4 head coaches, 5 goalie coaches, Linus was 23rd:

For a guy who is 27 years old and has never played in more than 37 games in his NHL career, the 6-foot-4 Swede received a sneaky high amount of love. Especially in the goalie-coaching community.

“I’m a fan. I like his style. I love his compete. He plays with an edge,” said one. “Ullmark has paid his dues. He’s going to surprise people. He can hold his team up this year.”

“I’ve seen enough of him in Buffalo. He made some good improvements last year with (goalie coach Mike) Bales and his skill level with playing a little bit more conservative,” said another. “He’s going to be pretty consistent.”

One more vote of confidence from a coach: “He’s the better of their two goalies. I like him a lot. He’s athletic. I think he’s got a great future.”

https://theathletic.com/2308397/2021/01/10/nhl-goalie-rankings/

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

From the Athletic's annual goalie ranking, gleaned from a poll of 6 NHL GMs, 4 head coaches, 5 goalie coaches, Linus was 23rd:

For a guy who is 27 years old and has never played in more than 37 games in his NHL career, the 6-foot-4 Swede received a sneaky high amount of love. Especially in the goalie-coaching community.

“I’m a fan. I like his style. I love his compete. He plays with an edge,” said one. “Ullmark has paid his dues. He’s going to surprise people. He can hold his team up this year.”

“I’ve seen enough of him in Buffalo. He made some good improvements last year with (goalie coach Mike) Bales and his skill level with playing a little bit more conservative,” said another. “He’s going to be pretty consistent.”

One more vote of confidence from a coach: “He’s the better of their two goalies. I like him a lot. He’s athletic. I think he’s got a great future.”

https://theathletic.com/2308397/2021/01/10/nhl-goalie-rankings/

Thanks for the quote. I'm upbeat about Ullmark. As you and others have noted there has been a steady progression to Ullmark's development. Whenever he makes a jump up the ladder he at first struggles. And then predictably he adapts and establishes himself until he moves up the ranks. The pattern has been consistent. That is encouraging. 

The point of my post is while there is a lamenting fixation on Hutton the more important issue is Ullmark. If Hutton falters a replacement can more easily be found in season. If Ullmark falters this team is sunk. I'm more encouraged than not about our starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If Cozens stays on that line with Skinner it might work 

Absolutely. I think that seems to be where the board consensus is going if Ralph doesn't want Skins with Staal and Sam.

Semi-related: I mean there was never any doubt, but you really know you're a Sabre nerd when you look at that chart and think 'that Mitts line looks interesting, love to see what it could do in Rochester'

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If Cozens stays on that line with Skinner it might work 

That certainly makes me feel better if Cozens remains in the starting 12, but why not go all the way and let Mitts center that line? What does Sheahan bring besides a big body? What if Cozens is the placeholder for Lazar?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely. I think that seems to be where the board consensus is going if Ralph doesn't want Skins with Staal and Sam.

Semi-related: I mean there was never any doubt, but you really know you're a Sabre nerd when you look at that chart and think 'that Mitts line looks interesting, love to see what it could do in Rochester'

Once TC or games start in Rochester I think we will see this 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He might state that it is "more than adequate" but that IMHO is Marty acknowledging that 1- Hutton is a good team guy that people like so he's not going tho throw him under the bus and 2- he's all the Sabres have at backup so he's not going to throw him under the bus.

At best, Hutton is adequate.  At worst, Hutton is a late season losing streak inducing anchor as he forces Krueger to overplay Ullmark all year thus wearing down leading to said losing streak.  Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Had hoped Hutton could regain his early season form of each of the last 2 years (because with the addition of taxi squads adding another goalie is a reach at this point), but after watching that 2nd scrimmage am not encouraged at all.  Only 1 goal was a bad goal, but he was facing the Sabres 2nd line.  He can not play against Boston nor the Caps at all and really don't want to see him against Filly nor the Pens either.  Anybody feeling confident watching him against Barzal or Panarin?  He won't play 8 against Joisey.  All that's a long wi ded way of saying, expecting Linus to carry an unsustainable work load.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.