2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I have mentioned this player many times. His production and his absurdly young age mean he should definitely be in the 2nd round consideration. A 5'10" defender may scare some but not for me with Olen Zellweger. 

I’ve only seen him at the U18 but I liked his game. Another guy I like from that team is Brennan Othmann. He seems to be a mid to late first rounder so there is almost no chance for the Sabres.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I saw Beniers do more with less ice time in a B level tourney. 

The Sabres need everything accept left handed defenders. That's a bad argument. Even if you say he's BPA, why? 

That first sentence is just BS. Every single commentator and analyst was impressed with Power in that tournament so you go on being unimpressed it's fine. 

As to need, I'm going to counter that with the obvious to anyone outside of Buffalo, the Sabres need EVERYTHING!

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That first sentence is just BS. Every single commentator and analyst was impressed with Power in that tournament so you go on being unimpressed it's fine. 

As to need, I'm going to counter that with the obvious to anyone outside of Buffalo, the Sabres need EVERYTHING!

It wasn't about being unimpressed so much as putting it in context. 

I'm just starting to be done putting together my draft list for year 8 (?) of Mom's Basement Stakes, If you need to ketchup, last years' post is over at hfboards. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-moms-basement-stakes.2769630/

I has planned on doing podcasts about my process, and all that, but I can explain in about 100 words, so we'll just do that. I use 2 strategies to find draft picks, the first I look for players that outscore their teammates at even strength at their particular age. If you chart everyone, William Stromgren jumps off the page. Big Bill didn't get many PP points in U20 because... well... no one on the team scored during power plays. When he moved to Allsvenskan, he didn't get many PP minutes, or that's my theory anyway. The second strategy looks for overagers, as they are the most underdrafted group of players, last time I checked.

Draft analytics use some varient of NHLe, or eNHL, I forget which. This severely punishes players that don't play on the PP, or play on bad teams, or for some reason scores more than his teammates at even strength. I came up with about 10 so far in this group. Beniers, Eklund, Simon Robertsson, Zachary L'Heureux, Stromgren, Connor Roulette, Riley Kidney, Topias Vilen, Eric Alarie, Ryan McCleary. The second group, the overagers, Ryker Evans, Ruben Rafkin, Viktor Hurtig, Simon Knak, Christopher Merisier-Ortiz, Josh Doan.

So get your draft board together for Mom's Basement, you'll be competing against Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, and whomever else shows up. You'll need somewhere between 30-80 picks, depending on how much your list resembles McKenzie's.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, rakish said:

I'm just starting to be done putting together my draft list for year 8 (?) of Mom's Basement Stakes, If you need to ketchup, last years' post is over at hfboards. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2020-moms-basement-stakes.2769630/

I has planned on doing podcasts about my process, and all that, but I can explain in about 100 words, so we'll just do that. I use 2 strategies to find draft picks, the first I look for players that outscore their teammates at even strength at their particular age. If you chart everyone, William Stromgren jumps off the page. Big Bill didn't get many PP points in U20 because... well... no one on the team scored during power plays. When he moved to Allsvenskan, he didn't get many PP minutes, or that's my theory anyway. The second strategy looks for overagers, as they are the most underdrafted group of players, last time I checked.

Draft analytics use some varient of NHLe, or eNHL, I forget which. This severely punishes players that don't play on the PP, or play on bad teams, or for some reason scores more than his teammates at even strength. I came up with about 10 so far in this group. Beniers, Eklund, Simon Robertsson, Zachary L'Heureux, Stromgren, Connor Roulette, Riley Kidney, Topias Vilen, Eric Alarie, Ryan McCleary. The second group, the overagers, Ryker Evans, Ruben Rafkin, Viktor Hurtig, Simon Knak, Christopher Merisier-Ortiz, Josh Doan.

So get your draft board together for Mom's Basement, you'll be competing against Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, and whomever else shows up. You'll need somewhere between 30-80 picks, depending on how much your list resembles McKenzie's.

My list has 62 names currently. Final ranking begins next week. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kent Johnson at #15, wow. He is the most polarizing player in the draft. Wheeler has him at #2.  Extremely skilled kid who needs to put on about 25 pounds.  

There seems to be some trends forming across rankings. Power at #1, Beniers usually #2,  Eklund is gaining steam as a top 4 pick, as is Hughes in the top 5 and Guenther around 8th.

Edited by Flashsabre

Have we talked about Tyler Boucher yet? 

Are you a Sabres' fan that wants an in your face physical guy on the team? Do you want a guy who will rock hits and steal the puck? Do you want to see a 3rd liner who can eat opponents lunches and then transition up ice? Well have I got a guy for you. 

Tyler Boucher is probably the most physical player in this draft. He constantly wants to make contact but it isn't in a "big hit out of position way" more of a let me separate you from the puck... or your soul kind of way. The scouting report is simple, good skater with some untapped offensive potential who will routinely physically impose himself on the other team. He's one of those guys that is just a pain to play against. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Are you a Sabres' fan that wants an in your face physical guy on the team? Do you want a guy who will rock hits and steal the puck? Do you want to see a 3rd liner who can eat opponents lunches and then transition up ice? Well have I got a guy for you. 

Tyler Boucher is probably the most physical player in this draft. He constantly wants to make contact but it isn't in a "big hit out of position way" more of a let me separate you from the puck... or your soul kind of way. The scouting report is simple, good skater with some untapped offensive potential who will routinely physically impose himself on the other team. He's one of those guys that is just a pain to play against. 

Where is he slotted in various publications?  Do you have an evaluation of where he should land.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

1st OA😜

I wouldn’t be surprised if they look at guys like him or Colton Dach in the second round. Big, physical wingers that hit, drop the gloves, have some offensive potential. I really think Adams wants that lunchpail mentality and identity back for the Sabres.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Where is he slotted in various publications?  Do you have an evaluation of where he should land.

2nd to 3rd round (most likely 2nd)

https://flyersnittygritty.com/with-our-second-round-selection-the-philadelphia-flyers-would-like-to-select-tyler-boucher-from-the-us-national-team/

https://thehockeywriters.com/tyler-boucher-2021-nhl-draft-prospect/

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Not having a pure consensus #1 (Power, Beneirs, Ecklund) makes me very uncomfortable with this draft. 

I wouldn't let it bother you much. The closest thing to consensus is Power at 1 but after that gets more murky. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't let it bother you much. The closest thing to consensus is Power at 1 but after that gets more murky. 

Seems like the Sabres have 1/3 shot at getting this right, and I don't trust them with that decision

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Seems like the Sabres have 1/3 shot at getting this right, and I don't trust them with that decision

Actually it is more like they can't technically get it wrong. Well not initially really. I suppose they could draft Edvinsson first overall but that's highly unlikely. 

Latest update.  Updated McKeens and added Wheeler from the Athletic.  Now have 15 rankings to work with. Waiting on McKenzie, FC Hockey, Morreale (NHL.com) and Draft prospects to update their April rankings and Dobber to update from March.  

I've run the spreadsheet using the April through June rankings and these are the results. 14 unanimous skaters plus Wallstadt the goalie (ISS doesn't rank goalies with skaters).  Tiers 1-6 all unanimous selections

Tier 1 - Power

Tier 2 - Berniers , Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, and Guenther

Tier 3 - Edvinsson, Johnson and Wallstadt

Gap

Tier 4 - McTavish, Lucius

Gap

Tier 5 - Lysell and Sillinger

Gap

Tier 6 - Lambos, and Raty

(13-14 ballots)

Tier 7 - Svechkov, Coronato, Chibrikov, Olausson and Robertsson

(11-12 ballots)

Tier 8  - Ceulemans, Bolduc, Cossa, Bourgault and Othmann

Tier 9 - Pinelli, Rosen, and L'Heureux

(9-10 ballots)

Tier 10 - Stankoven and Toumaala

Tier 11 - Chayka, Samoskevich, Dean

Others - Pastujov (7 ballots), Svozil (4), Behrens (4) and Martino (4)

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually it is more like they can't technically get it wrong. Well not initially really. I suppose they could draft Edvinsson first overall but that's highly unlikely. 

Initially maybe not, but there's the potential for a Bennet - Drysdal scenario (and yes I know Leon went before Sam). The point being the draft grades are similar but an overwhelmingly better player is the one the Sabres miss out on.

Edited by WildCard

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Latest update.  Updated McKeens and added Wheeler from the Athletic.  Now have 15 rankings to work with. Waiting on McKenzie, FC Hockey, Morreale (NHL.com) and Draft prospects to update their April rankings and Dobber to update from March.  

I've run the spreadsheet using the April through June rankings and these are the results. 14 unanimous skaters plus Wallstadt the goalie (ISS doesn't rank goalies with skaters).  Tiers 1-6 all unanimous selections

Tier 1 - Power

Tier 2 - Berniers , Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, and Guenther

Tier 3 - Edvinsson, Johnson and Wallstadt

Gap

Tier 4 - McTavish, Lucius

Gap

Tier 5 - Lysell and Sillinger

Gap

Tier 6 - Lambos, and Raty

(13-14 ballots)

Tier 7 - Svechkov, Coronato, Chibrikov, Olausson and Robertsson

(11-12 ballots)

Tier 8  - Ceulemans, Bolduc, Cossa, Bourgault and Othmann

Tier 9 - Pinelli, Rosen, and L'Heureux

(9-10 ballots)

Tier 10 - Stankoven and Toumaala

Tier 11 - Chayka, Samoskevich, Dean

Others - Pastujov (7 ballots), Svozil (4), Behrens (4) and Martino (4)

Elite Prospects has also released their stuff

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I checked earlier today, but their list still says May.  Please send a link if you can.

You will have to take my screenshot of their draft guide. Although I think they will probably update stuff today or tomorrow. 

EPRinkside_2021ranks.thumb.png.931377d8325abe538ab0eab06b02031c.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.