2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

With Eklund being a projected winger, the Quinn pick looks even worse in hindsight as we are about to trade our 2 best centres, and (apparently) pick 2 wingers with KAs first two 1st round picks at 1 and 8 overall. 

It would be weird to come away with something like (just spitballing):

Eichel for Hughes, Comtois, prospect, cap dump 

Reinhart for Tkachuk 

and KA’s 1st/2nd last year and 1st overall this year exchanged for 3 wingers. 

Well first we won't be trading Reinhart for Tkachuk. 

But more importantly. I think William Eklund can play center in the NHL. I don't know if he will but he has the puck distribution and skating to do it. If Eklund were 2 inches taller I don't think it would be much of a question. He has to refine his defensive game but at 18 in a men's league that isn't surprising. 

I will pull this from the Pronman article: 

“His skating is dynamic. His cutbacks and edgework are major assets in this draft class. He has great skill and hockey sense. He looked like a difference-maker versus men.”

“This guy has an ‘it’ factor that not many in this draft have. He pops on the ice playing at a very high level of competition.”

“The lack of elite speed at his size concerns me for where we’re talking about taking him.”

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well first we won't be trading Reinhart for Tkachuk. 

But more importantly. I think William Eklund can play center in the NHL. I don't know if he will but he has the puck distribution and skating to do it. If Eklund were 2 inches taller I don't think it would be much of a question. He has to refine his defensive game but at 18 in a men's league that isn't surprising. 

I will pull this from the Pronman article: 

I suppose it's possible but it's almost universal at least from what I've read that he's projected to end up at wing. I could be wrong

Edit - looks like it's a bit more debatable than I thought 

Edited by Thorny

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I suppose it's possible but it's almost universal at least from what I've read that he's projected to end up at wing. I could be wrong

Edit - looks like it's a bit more debatable than I thought 

It is a little debatable but I'd say a majority project him to wing. For me, there is just so much deception and outrageously clever manipulations of the defense to put him at wing. You give him the puck and then draft a guy like Guenther at 3 (if we got 3) and then let them go. It speaks volumes that he centered Holtz and was the better player in the SHL. I think if his skating speed improves by 10% it will be another lethal tool as he is already quick. I think his skating was actually better at the end of the year, he seemed to have stronger legs which seemed to tighten up his stride and make him a little less gangly in his stride. 

If he had another 15-20lbs of muscle his ability to win board battles will improve although again, he was 18 playing against men so losing some battles makes sense (he still won a lot of them).  The fact he could carry the puck and make all the quick turns and passes he does was something to see. I also see his shot as underrated as he can snap it off lightning quick. 

If the kid was 6' instead of 5'10" I think he would be the top pick and be projected at center. 

• Like (+1) 1

The ONLY player that was 23 or younger and produced more primary points per 60 in the SHL this past season was 20yr old Jonatan Berggren who only scored 1 more goal than Eklund. 

There are only 2 players 23 or younger who produced more p1/pg than Eklund, Berggren and 21 year old Jack Drury. That is better than guys like Lundkvist, Holtz, Raymond, Hollander, Hoglander, Veleno, Gunler. 

The only thing and it is noted is that he got lost in his own end defending at times as he over-pursued the puck and if you look at his even strength goals for % it is just below 50 meaning he has to clean it up in his own end. The good news is the work ethic is there, it is about reading the play and trusting your teammates more. Really it is just about maturing. 

Edited by LGR4GM

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is a little debatable but I'd say a majority project him to wing. For me, there is just so much deception and outrageously clever manipulations of the defense to put him at wing. You give him the puck and then draft a guy like Guenther at 3 (if we got 3) and then let them go. It speaks volumes that he centered Holtz and was the better player in the SHL. I think if his skating speed improves by 10% it will be another lethal tool as he is already quick. I think his skating was actually better at the end of the year, he seemed to have stronger legs which seemed to tighten up his stride and make him a little less gangly in his stride. 

If he had another 15-20lbs of muscle his ability to win board battles will improve although again, he was 18 playing against men so losing some battles makes sense (he still won a lot of them).  The fact he could carry the puck and make all the quick turns and passes he does was something to see. I also see his shot as underrated as he can snap it off lightning quick. 

If the kid was 6' instead of 5'10" I think he would be the top pick and be projected at center. 

I’d be quite happy with him as the pick - he could easily end up the best player in this draft, and I’d rather take a forward, too. 

Was originally just pointing out we are going to have to do something about our weak (see: barren) C pipeline and soon to be weak NHL centre spine. Doesn’t seem like Eklund specifically addresses that and I’d still take him, but they’ll need to do something 

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The ONLY player that was 23 or younger and produced more primary points per 60 in the SHL this past season was 20yr old Jonatan Berggren who only scored 1 more goal than Eklund. 

There are only 2 players 23 or younger who produced more p1/pg than Eklund, Berggren and 21 year old Jack Drury. That is better than guys like Lundkvist, Holtz, Raymond, Hollander, Hoglander, Veleno, Gunler. 

The only thing and it is noted is that he got lost in his own end defending at times as he over-pursued the puck and if you look at his even strength goals for % it is just below 50 meaning he has to clean it up in his own end. The good news is the work ethic is there, it is about reading the play and trusting your teammates more. Really it is just about maturing. 

What was his “Wants to be a Buffalo Sabre” rating out of 100? 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I’d be quite happy with him as the pick - he could easily end up the best player in this draft, and I’d rather take a forward, too. 

Was originally just pointing out we are going to have to do something about our weak (see: barren) C pipeline and soon to be weak NHL centre spine. Doesn’t seem like Eklund specifically addresses that and I’d still take him, but they’ll need to do something 

Agreed. I like Eklund, but I'd rather have another solution to our C issue than moving him over from wing.

Either we do have Eichel, and have a 1C, or we are getting a prospective 1C (hopefully) from trading him and don't have one. Regardless I'd like to keep Eklund where he has played; I understand it's not the same situation but it brings serious Leino flashbacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Agreed. I like Eklund, but I'd rather have another solution to our C issue than moving him over from wing.

Either we do have Eichel, and have a 1C, or we are getting a prospective 1C (hopefully) from trading him and don't have one. Regardless I'd like to keep Eklund where he has played; I understand it's not the same situation but it brings serious Leino flashbacks. 

And if Eklund is our first pick (sweet), and, say, the biggest piece from the Eichel deal is 3OA and we get Hughes, I’ll have a hard time stomaching losing a true 1C like Jack and not even bringing in a solid potential 1C replacement in the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don’t know if he would be best at C or W, but he played C at lower levels.  It’s only this season in the SHL that he has been at W.  So placing him back at C would be more like returning him to his “natural” position.

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And if Eklund is our first pick (sweet), and, say, the biggest piece from the Eichel deal is 3OA and we get Hughes, I’ll have a hard time stomaching losing a true 1C like Jack and not even bringing in a solid potential 1C replacement in the process. 

I should add - unless it’s addressed through other means. But if our most valuable asset by far doesn’t result in a potential 1C in return in one way or another, I don’t see how we’d stand a chance of getting one otherwise

TL;DR: We should get Zegras in return  

Edited by Thorny

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What was his “Wants to be a Buffalo Sabre” rating out of 100? 

Not sure what you mean? (I assume this is a joke but it went over my head and I am sorry)

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Eklund was going to play C at the WJC20 b4 he got Covid. 

Eklund played center up until going to the SHL and he played some center there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure what you mean? (I assume this is a joke but it went over my head and I am sorry)

Thanks. Do we know why he switched? Was it a case of him simply being the best player at a lower level, so they put him at C, and when he moved up they realized his skillset is better for W? i.e. Reinhart 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I should add - unless it’s addressed through other means. But if our most valuable asset by far doesn’t result in a potential 1C in return in one way or another, I don’t see how we’d stand a chance of getting one otherwise

TL;DR: We should get Zegras in return  

Which was the reason for tanking in the first place, getting a top level C because you can't win without one. 

I think you can win without one but you have to have really good 2c's to make up for it. The thing about Eklund is he will drive the line regardless of his position so it takes away from him needing to be a C a little in my mind. The reason you need that top end center is because they drive the play (Eichel does) and that is a major factor. If you get a winger who will do that and can effectively it just gives you a different look. If you put Eklund and Beniers on the ice at the same time... good lord. 

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Thanks. Do we know why he switched? Was it a case of him simply being the best player at a lower level, so they put him at C, and when he moved up they realized his skillset is better for W? i.e. Reinhart 

More like he was an 18yr old playing in a mens league and they broke him in at wing. I am fairly certain Lundell started his draft year at wing and then moved over as the year progressed. I also know he needs to be better at faceoffs which teams put value on for centers. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams said the thing he looks for most is that they want to be a Buffalo Sabre. Failed joke 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Which was the reason for tanking in the first place, getting a top level C because you can't win without one. 

I think you can win without one but you have to have really good 2c's to make up for it. The thing about Eklund is he will drive the line regardless of his position so it takes away from him needing to be a C a little in my mind. The reason you need that top end center is because they drive the play (Eichel does) and that is a major factor. If you get a winger who will do that and can effectively it just gives you a different look. If you put Eklund and Beniers on the ice at the same time... good lord. 

More like he was an 18yr old playing in a mens league and they broke him in at wing. I am fairly certain Lundell started his draft year at wing and then moved over as the year progressed. I also know he needs to be better at faceoffs which teams put value on for centers. 

Ya like I said I’d take him. But we can’t enter into next season with centre depth consisting, on the roster and system, of Mittelstadt, Cozens, Asplund, Girgensons, 2nd round pick, Pekar 

..which is a very real possibility depending on the Reinhart return if Eichel is traded for a 3rd that becomes Hughes, Comtois, Gibson, Perrault, and we take Eklund. 

Even with Eklund, Quinn, Comtois, Perrault, Peterka in the wing ranks I couldn’t be comfortable with that. You still build through the middle and pinning it all on Cozens and Mittelstadt would be unwise, especially considering the level of asset we are parting with. 

They can’t trade all they are likely going to trade and have the amount of high picks we’ll likely have over two years and it result in a return that doesn’t yield a single prospective 1C. 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m also really interested to see in this draft if they continue to avoid the CHL like the plague, or if Karmanos switches that up. 

Russians too.

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Russians too.

That to me is less likely to change as it’s something a fair few teams choose to do, as far as I know. The Sabres strict avoidance of the CHL rounds 2-7 for the last 4 years is unique. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That to me is less likely to change as it’s something a fair few teams choose to do, as far as I know. The Sabres strict avoidance of the CHL rounds 2-7 for the last 4 years is unique. 

I think you mean stupid. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams said the thing he looks for most is that they want to be a Buffalo Sabre. Failed joke 

Ya like I said I’d take him. But we can’t enter into next season with centre depth consisting, on the roster and system, of Mittelstadt, Cozens, Asplund, Girgensons, 2nd round pick, Pekar 

..which is a very real possibility depending on the Reinhart return if Eichel is traded for a 3rd that becomes Hughes, Comtois, Gibson, Perrault, and we take Eklund. 

Even with Eklund, Quinn, Comtois, Perrault, Peterka in the wing ranks I couldn’t be comfortable with that. You still build through the middle and pinning it all on Cozens and Mittelstadt would be unwise, especially considering the level of asset we are parting with. 

They can’t trade all they are likely going to trade and have the amount of high picks we’ll likely have over two years and it result in a return that doesn’t yield a single prospective 1C. 

Idk with that wing depth I could probably make Zemgus a good center. Eklund and Quinn can both drive lines from the wing. Peterka is a fireball so he will be interesting. 

We do need centers but I would not hesitate to draft Eklund because he might be a winger. In my perfect world we get Beniers, Eklund, and Zegras but idk if that happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Behold, the future!

Eklund - Cozens - Quinn

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Thompson 

Comtois - Asplund - Peterka 

Dahlin - Borgen

Hughes - Jokiharhi 

Gibson  

It's why you don't draft Hughes. That and other reasons. 

We could also see

Eklund - Cozens - Quinn

Skinner - Beniers - Peterka

Comtois - Mitts - Thompson

Dahlin - Borgen

Johnson - Jokiharju

either way that lineup is 2 years away so I will worry about it then. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.