Jump to content
Tondas

OT - Classic Rock All Star Band

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Jimmy Page as Rhythm Guitarist?  Surely you jest.  In my book he’s alone as the top Lead Guitarist..

No jest.  I have seen Terry Kath live. Incredible and awe inspiring. .  It's like he invented the guitar.   He rarely looks at it..  It's like he was born with a guitar in his hand.   If you're  not exhausted and satisfied after his solo. I don't know how.

 

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why in heaven's name would we try to reinvent the wheel when the world has already given us the Traveling Wilbury's, Crosby Stlls Nash and Young, and Cream?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Why in heaven's name would we try to reinvent the wheel when the world has already given us the Traveling Wilbury's, Crosby Stlls Nash and Young, and Cream?

And Blind Faith

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

No jest.  I have seen Terry Kath live. Incredible and awe inspiring. .  It's like he invented the guitar.   He rarely looks at it..  It's like he was born with a guitar in his hand.   If you're  not exhausted and satisfied after his solo. I don't know how.

 

I watch this 3 or 4 times a month. Some great songs in that concert. 

Guitars...Jimi, Kath and Knopfler.

Vocals...Rodgers and Plant

Bass...McCartney

Drums...Moon

Keys...Preston

Producer...Jack Douglas

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Jimmy Page as Rhythm Guitarist?  Surely you jest.  In my book he’s alone as the top Lead Guitarist..

His rhythm is way under-rated. And Alex solos like Ornette Coleman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

And Traffic

 

The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vocals:  Mama Cass, Meat Loaf

Guitar:  Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bass:  Geddy Lee

Keyboards:  Billy Joel

Drums:  John Bonham

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Vocals:  Mama Cass, Meat Loaf

Guitar:  Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bass:  Geddy Lee

Keyboards:  Billy Joel

Drums:  John Bonham

Mama Cass, Meat Loaf sounds like a recipe.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Mama Cass, Meat Loaf sounds like a recipe.

Recipe to join weight watchers

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list of “Best Not Yet Mentioned”

 

Keyboard/Piano, Vocals - Warren Zevon

Guitar, Vocals - Neil Young

Guitar, Vocals - Bruce Springsteen 

Bass Guitar - John Entwistle

Drums, Vocals - Levon Helm

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curt said:

My list of “Best Not Yet Mentioned”

Guitar, Vocals - Bruce Springsteen 

Bass Guitar - John Entwistle

I was torn and was going to say Entwistle but since I already picked Moon, well, I didn't want to just rebuild the Who. 

Another part of me also wanted to be a smartass and just say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for the whole thing and call it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was torn and was going to say Entwistle but since I already picked Moon, well, I didn't want to just rebuild the Who. 

Another part of me also wanted to be a smartass and just say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for the whole thing and call it at that.

I have the same feelings about Rush, ELP, The Who, CSNY (as pointed out, already a supergroup), The Beatles, and The Allman Brothers Band. Would I really substitute anyone else into one of those slots? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is quite revealing. Most of the posters are showing their age - and expertise.

I have to be in the right mood to get into Classic Rock, or any other musical genre for that matter.

Having said that, I couldn't believe it when I heard that Caress of Steel nearly killed Rush as a band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 4:51 PM, tom webster said:

How is Paul Rodgers or Roy Orbison not mentioned.

 

Truth is, if he wanted to, Prince could have been the best on all instruments.

 

But, since I decided to post, I will modify the question with those I’ve seen.

 

Justin Hayward

Eric Clapton

Joe Strummer

Billy Sheehan

Carl Palmer

Producer Todd Rundgren

 

Love the Billy Sheehan vote!

Takes me back to the days of hanging out at Stage One before Harvey was infamous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this new band be one of those overstocked acts with two drummers, four guitarists, a percussionist, some keyboard players, a keytar synth player, a backing vocal section, and horn section and string quartet on occasional numbers? And does this band write its own material?

Edited by DarthEbriate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Love the Billy Sheehan vote!

Takes me back to the days of hanging out at Stage One before Harvey was infamous

Yeah, went to school with ole Harv. Can’t tell people that much anymore.

 

Better story about Stage One, I ran in their one night to grab some Mighty’s and about 50 people were in their listening to some new band doing maybe their tenth Anerican show. I think their lead singer went by Sting......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Love the Billy Sheehan vote!

Takes me back to the days of hanging out at Stage One before Harvey was infamous

It was only last year that I learned that the Harvey in Harvey and Corky Productions was Weinstein.  As a proud UB alumni, it pissed me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tondas said:

It was only last year that I learned that the Harvey in Harvey and Corky Productions was Weinstein.  As a proud UB alumni, it pissed me off.

Yep, he hooked me up with tickets a couple times but usually he made me wait in line like everyone else. 
 

Corky has a good Stage One story as well. His wife was there playing pong with Bono the night John Lennon was killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many to choose from but...

Lead vocals: Freddie Mercury

Lead guitar: Eddie Van Halen

Rhythm Guitar: Malcolm Young

Drums: Neil Peart 

Bass: John Entwistle

Keyboards and backup vocals: Burton Cummings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tondas said:

It was only last year that I learned that the Harvey in Harvey and Corky Productions was Weinstein.  As a proud UB alumni, it pissed me off.

Same here. I had no idea that I had met "the Harvey Weinstein" until it came out that he got his start as 1/2 of "Harvey & Corky Productions"   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tom webster said:

Yeah, went to school with ole Harv. Can’t tell people that much anymore.

 

Better story about Stage One, I ran in their one night to grab some Mighty’s and about 50 people were in their listening to some new band doing maybe their tenth Anerican show. I think their lead singer went by Sting......

I was one of those 50 or so. Spring 1979, a couple months before HS graduation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I was one of those 50 or so. Spring 1979, a couple months before HS graduation.

That’s awesome. No one ever believes when I tell them Mighty Taco was right in the bar.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy Band????? Boy Band 🤔🤔 When whatever you listen to can match these classics, I'll listen to you

 

Song originally by 3 different lead singers and 3 different song writers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I was one of those 50 or so. Spring 1979, a couple months before HS graduation.

I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing.  I saw The Police at UB’s Main Street campus in the old gymnasium.  The gym had that old school, high school style, layout with an elevated wooden stage at one end.  I had my arms crossed, tilted upward, with my upper arms resting on the stage lip.  Sting and the band were a few feet away.  My memory has this happening Nov Dec of 1980 ... perhaps a tour 18 months after your sighting.  I was hooked.

Later that school year, same “seat”, and The Stray Cats.  What a magical time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...