Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

2 minutes ago, josie said:

I honestly don't see much wrong with it. Perspective and colors are fine, and I really enjoy a lot of the little detailed jokes worked into the players.

I see an either stylistic choice or a "we need this ambitious project ASAP' situation, meriting the kinda uncomfortable filter-over-photo technique for faces/trophies. The issue, speaking from an art-prof-crit standpoint is you have a much chunkier/simpler style for rendering uniforms/shoes and then photorealism for faces. It blends, fairly well, but has a touch of uncanny oof to it. But it's cute, and overall works pretty successfully.

But truth, I'm just happy to see illustration being used.

Maybe someday I'll get my shot!

You're too kind. This is why I'm your advocate lol

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Projected for a 10 point improvement here, for a 24th place finish. 

3 of the top 5 being in the Atlantic is rather annoying. MTL projected with the last playoff spot at 93 points. 

I think the video game NHL20 did their version and had Buffalo near the bottom with 82 points, Ducks were below them with 81

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You're too kind. This is why I'm your advocate lol

Well, it is how I feel, but I also know you don't make friends and connections by publicly tearing apart the work in the position you want to have haha 

If they contacted me and said "here's what we have in mind" I'd have to take a few big swigs of something fortifying because holy hell what an undertaking. 

I'd have a few concerns that would give me an ulcer until I got into it:

1- that's a LOT of likenesses to get dead on.

2- those jerseys are a veritable rainbow of colors that clash... and you have to put them all in the same environment and get them to work homogeneously enough to be believable/not stand out.

3- Eff that perspective- that's a hard angle with a curve no less (there are some definitely scaling issues in this one as it is but I bet there was a LOT of "ah shizz this ain't quite right" adjusting)

4- As much as I would love to make work for the NHL in some capacity- nothing is more vile than the comments people say on your work- good or bad- in a public forum. Takes thick skin. I remember the work I did for Dockers (they had a Big 10 college football line I did illustrations for) and how I still hold some of those evil responses too close to my heart. Oof. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, josie said:

Well, it is how I feel, but I also know you don't make friends and connections by publicly tearing apart the work in the position you want to have haha 

If they contacted me and said "here's what we have in mind" I'd have to take a few big swigs of something fortifying because holy hell what an undertaking. 

I'd have a few concerns that would give me an ulcer until I got into it:

1- that's a LOT of likenesses to get dead on.

2- those jerseys are a veritable rainbow of colors that clash... and you have to put them all in the same environment and get them to work homogeneously enough to be believable/not stand out.

3- Eff that perspective- that's a hard angle with a curve no less (there are some definitely scaling issues in this one as it is but I bet there was a LOT of "ah shizz this ain't quite right" adjusting)

4- As much as I would love to make work for the NHL in some capacity- nothing is more vile than the comments people say on your work- good or bad- in a public forum. Takes thick skin. I remember the work I did for Dockers (they had a Big 10 college football line I did illustrations for) and how I still hold some of those evil responses too close to my heart. Oof. 

Yup. It's a massive project that they probably started too late. I don't blame the artists too much, I'm sure they did their best.

It's the client (the NHL/their media team) that is the problem here.

Edited by darksabre

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Yup. It's a massive project that they probably started too late. I don't blame the artists too much, I'm sure they did their best.

It's the client (the NHL/their media team) that is the problem here.

...and the more I've seen and learned about working that job (or any art job), the less I've actively pursued it. I feel I'd only really be proud of my portraits, but they're not looking for that. 

It's often what the art directors/higher ups want, the deadlines need, and what the budget can afford.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, rakish said:

The problem for me on this one is that no one is sitting outside the frame when the frame cuts through the middle of the classroom.

I zoomed in more and there's a lot of goofy proportions in foreshortening/arms.... you can tell the artist grabbed photos from getty for the faces but had to make up the limbs.

But yeah, the part that annoys me most is the scaling of Doc Emrick there... he's huge for where he is in the composition and the rim highlight makes him look like a cardboard cutout... 

ok ok I'm done back to work 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Coyotes just gave their backup (to a very good goalie) Darcy Kuemper a two year extension, which is fine. 

But it's 4.5 AAV. 

That's really high, isn't it?

The money suggests that the starter and backup designations are reversed.  Interesting.  It'll be worth keeping an eye on that to see if it changes.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

The money suggests that the starter and backup designations are reversed.  Interesting.  It'll be worth keeping an eye on that to see if it changes.

Raanta is always hurt, so I guess Kuemper is effectively at least a 1b, and you're right that Raanta is cheap enough to make it not matter. 

Edit: NVM, the salary listed in the google search is way out of date

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Coyotes just gave their backup (to a very good goalie) Darcy Kuemper a two year extension, which is fine. 

But it's 4.5 AAV. 

That's really high, isn't it?

That's really high given that they're both under contract next season for a total of 8.75 mil 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Raanta is always hurt, so I guess Kuemper is effectively at least a 1b, and you're right that Raanta is cheap enough to make it not matter. 

Ahhh, I misread the situation.  Kuemper's new deal hadn't been added to the payroll I was looking at.  The deal doesn't kick in until next year, so it really doesn't matter as of today.  But next year when they're both making 4+?  My guess is that one of them gets moved prior to that.

1 hour ago, josie said:

I zoomed in more and there's a lot of goofy proportions in foreshortening/arms.... you can tell the artist grabbed photos from getty for the faces but had to make up the limbs.

But yeah, the part that annoys me most is the scaling of Doc Emrick there... he's huge for where he is in the composition and the rim highlight makes him look like a cardboard cutout... 

ok ok I'm done back to work 

Wait a sec.  Are you trying to say in real life Emerick DOESN'T look like a cardboard cutout?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wait a sec.  Are you trying to say in real life Emerick DOESN'T look like a cardboard cutout?

Is his face warped onto a skull-like shape? Yes? oh. well, he's a replicant. That answers everything. These broadcasts will be lost like tears in rain. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.