Pick #31 Ryan Johnson Defenseman

Brawndo

Yeh, have to agree with Liger, Sabres need O, this pick is not that... so very disappointed and really dont see the need v O talent still out there.  Sabres dont have another pick til 3 round... meh half cocked , in pain, and ill humored so dont screw with me rrrrrr.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I was hoping for Bobby Brink, but the Sabres Staff knows more than I do obviously 

Well, this pretty much sums it up.  I don't see how you can praise JBotts for his previous draft results and evalautions and then wholeheartedly dismiss a pick as dumb, lazy, insert negative descriptor here.  These guys are experienced pros that do this everyday for a living. And they have a helluva lot more information than a hobbyist, no matter how serious the hobby, could ever want to have.

Let's see how this one pans out before dismissing it.

Edited by Weave
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

This team needs secondary scoring more than defensive prospects.  If you don't obtain fUture scoring talent by way of the draft then it is asking a lot to do it by other means.  Terrible pick!

You don't draft for need at the end of the first. We'll be lucky to see him in Sabres gear in 4 years. 

4 hours ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

It sounds like they drafted a less talented Mark Pysyk 2.0

How did that work out for Buffalo?

Pysyk is a NHL defenseman. Not sure where he plays or how he got there matters in this discussion. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh, have to agree with Liger, Sabres need O, this pick is not that... so very disappointed and really dont see the need v O talent still out there.  Sabres dont have another pick til 3 round... meh half cocked , in pain, and ill humored so dont screw with me rrrrrr.

chances are we are still going to be able to pick one of the 4 forwards mentioned in this thread earlier.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

chances are we are still going to be able to pick one of the 4 forwards mentioned in this thread earlier.

They don't have a 2nd round pick, innit?  That 31 pick was basically their 2nd round pick.

5 hours ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

It sounds like they drafted a less talented Mark Pysyk 2.0

How did that work out for Buffalo?

That’s actually a halfway decent comparison, even though it was meant as an insult.  Also a late 1st round pick.  I would say that Johnson is a better skater (almost elite really) and a better stick handler, but not as good of a passer compared to Pysyk.  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Isn’t one of the most pressing needs for the Sabres system defenceman who can defend?

Last year we took one who does it very well with his size and reach. Today we took one who does it very well with his feet.

The knee jerk reactions are quite commical considering the odds of a 31 OA making and the very limit into the vast majority of people are going off of.  Have your opinion sure.  But to be that upset over 31?  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

You don't draft for need at the end of the first. We'll be lucky to see him in Sabres gear in 4 years. 

This statement applies to literally any prospect you would have taken here.  Late first round /early second take a few years to develop.  That is not specific to who was picked.

just adding to your point as I think that’s what you were saying.

Edited by Derrico

Just now, Derrico said:

It’s too bad he shoots left.  If he maxes out potential he sounds like a fast shutdown type d.  Those are the exact traits I want for whoever pairs with Dahlin.  I’ll be interested in watching his development.

sesame street idk GIF

True dat

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just a lazy pick

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

I disagree with the pick but I also disagree with this. Obviously they’ve done a fair share of scouting, enough to trust their own evaluations over those of many other scouts. A lazy pick would have been grabbing the highest rates CSS* ranked player and calling it a day. 

*insert preferred rankings here 

8 hours ago, shrader said:

Thank you to the people who are now trying to throw information out there about the actual player as opposed to flaunting their own fake ratings

It's lazy because it was there default. Dumb pick and again that isn't because Johnson is bad just there were better options. 

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Did you see their board? What do you mean by default? 

Sorry I dislike a pick when I felt there was more talent on the board. Next year I'll just not post anything about prospects and my fake ratings. 

They default to defense. 

More specifically I think they default and over rank ushl and foreign defenders. 

That’s your opinion. If if was worth more value you would be paid professionally to give it. You have no knowledge of their draft board or what was going on in their war room. 

As i've said multiple times. I like the player but think there were better options. 

Since no one wants my fake rankings or opinions. Goodnight. Enjoy day 2. 

And that's it. 

There comes a point every year where you seem to start ***** a bit too much. Your insight into prospects is valuable and appreciated, but what seems to be personal offense in obnoxious. 

8 hours ago, SDS said:

The problem is your reaction to any pick that doesn’t fall inline with your philosophy is unnecessarily over the top and loaded with unprovable statements. None of which are just simply that they had a different opinion than you. 

I’ve enjoyed almost all your draft commentary. I don’t think the opinions expressed in your disappointment are as well justified. 

I don’t like the pick, but I understand there’s things going on I don’t know about so I’m not going to pout about it. 

I don’t like the RoR trade, but I understand there’s things going on I don’t know about so I’m not going to pout about it. 

Complaining is one thing. I complained about the pick. Being reactionary is one thing. The first post I made about it was booooooo.  But having all the answers for everything and then having things go the other way and criticizing in vague, non-constructive ways is obnoxious. Doesn’t matter if it’s about KP, RoR, or pick #31. 

Storming off is what was obnoxious. People wanted him to elaborate on the vague lazy comment and when he did and was challenged on it, he left saying he wouldn’t contribute to the draft anymore. I think he just takes himself too seriously in this respect. 

You didn't challenge the "lazy" comment. "If it was worth value you'd be paid professionally " is one of the most obnoxious posts impo. 

At no point in this thread do I personally attack anyone yet I quoted what happened for ease of reading. I'm called obnoxious for not responding to a post in a complete enough manner. Then I am called it again for walking away from a conversation. 

I think the pick was lazy and dumb. It was lazy because it was their default to run back to the USHL and pick a defender. They've done it a few times. That's why I think it's lazy because I think it was a low risk safe option. They overvalue non chl defenders.  There were bigger rewards for teams. Maybe lazy is a poor word choice but I never got that far last night because who wants to stick around after all that? 

I think it was dumb because the draft is all about maximizing value of the pick you have. I don't think they maximized value. Again as I've said a ton, Johnson is a good prospect. 

As demonstrated by the quoted comments, my opinion of such is not wanted or welcomed. I find it interesting that I'm getting called out for "unproven statements" which is 75-90% of what goes on here. And I'm apparently "obnoxious" for calling the pick lazy and not appreciating being told my opinion is worthless. I didn't "flaunt" my rankings, I have my opinion based on them which I shared. 

So thank you for the personal attacks. Some will read this post as me yelling but I'm actually quite calm and was last night. I wasn't angry, I was disappointed. I said it multiple times that I like the player taken but would have rather taken someone else. Johnson is a fine prospect though and i've maintained that. Sadly, that got lost in the pile on. 

Enjoy the rest of the draft. I hope Buffalo takes Maxim Cajkovik or Ethan Keppen in the 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.