2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

You shouldn't assume they couldn't or didn't.  Aho has to choose whose offer to sign.  But my guess is that the massive immediate payout was not something the Sabres wanted to contend with.

Sabres would have to have upped the AAV over $10.5MM/yr due to lacking the 3rd.  That bump wouldn't have been "marginal."

Just now, Taro T said:

Sabres would have to have upped the AAV over $10.5MM/yr due to lacking the 3rd.  That bump wouldn't have been "marginal."

You might be operating a bit too linearly.  Just because the Habs offer sheet was accepted after the Sabres acquired Vesey does not mean the Sabres didn't know what the offer would be that they would have to beat.

In fact, they may have decided that they did not want to go that route when Montreal stepped up and then decided to go get Vesey.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Gah, I was trying to get that into the post but was failing.  It's classic though.  I need to retrain myself on the embedding tweets... 

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

OK, so take Aho off the board.  Assume, for a minute, that Carolina matches and swallows that huge cash layout.  Let's be opportunistic.  Who on their club is due the most in actual cash this year?

According to Cap friendly it looks like the following

Teravainen - 6.25M

Hamilton - 6M

Staal - 6M NMC

Faulk - 6M M-NTC (15 team list)

Neiderreiter - 5.85M

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Neiderreiter please.

3 years left.  Perfect.

Gets his most remaining cash this season's and it's ~600k over his cap hit.  Movable for a cash strapped team.

Oh hell yes

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

You might be operating a bit too linearly.  Just because the Habs offer sheet was accepted after the Sabres acquired Vesey does not mean the Sabres didn't know what the offer would be that they would have to beat.

In fact, they may have decided that they did not want to go that route when Montreal stepped up and then decided to go get Vesey.

Gah, I was trying to get that into the post but was failing.  It's classic though.  I need to retrain myself on the embedding tweets... 

No.  The Sabres gave away the '21 3rd for Vesey.  They made Aho unmatchable by trading for a different Cane last year.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They made it a freaking twitter pole? What a tone deaf move

Edit: Well nvm, I can't see the tweet on my computer for some reason, but the options on the poll are 

1. Yes

2. Oui

Edited by WildCard

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

TSN said he turned down a 2 year offer from the Isles. Probably saw that as a slap in the face.

Probably less money, he said before that he just wanted to deal with them and stay there, but they seemed to have no interest in keeping him unless it was cheap. The Islanders seemed to have had more interest in swapping out their guys for other guys. Sounds like resigning Lee was a plan B if they didn't get Panarin, and they weren't sold on Lehner yet

47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Lehner one year 5 Million from Chicago 

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

TSN said he turned down a 2 year offer from the Isles. Probably saw that as a slap in the face.

Well, though it did cost him $5MM of guaranteed money, it also guarantees he only has to play in Barclay's Center once this year.  That has to be worth something, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I've been slapped in the face for less than $10 million over 2 years.  I think Robin overplayed his hand.  Which is not a good thing since his wife will be pissed that he left $5 mil on the table.  He's gonna need that hand.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Probably less money, he said before that he just wanted to deal with them and stay there, but they seemed to have no interest in keeping him unless it was cheap. The Islanders seemed to have had more interest in swapping out their guys for other guys. Sounds like resigning Lee was a plan B if they didn't get Panarin, and they weren't sold on Lehner yet

That makes sense- Lehner didn't really do that much better than their other goalie, did he?

I predict he cools off substantially in CHI

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Lehner one year 5 Million from Chicago 

Good for him. I would assume he didn't want to sign with the Islanders then get exposed in the expansion draft with no control over where he ended up. Doing a one year with Chicago gives him more flexibility. 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Wait... wait. Your Vezina-finalist goalie from last season is worth... half this to you?

Agree.  There has to be more to this story.  They know Lehner.  Is that the hangup?

24 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Agree.  There has to be more to this story.  They know Lehner.  Is that the hangup?

I think it has more to do with Varlamov having a better track record then Lehner having a career year. Varlamov has shown he is a good goalie, Lehner has to show last year wasn't a fluke and that he can stay clean. It's probably why he took the one year from Chicago cause it allows him to try again next offseason if he puts up good numbers again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.