GDT:Blue Jackets at Sabres 3/31/19 6pm MSG

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It's hard to argue.

People will point to Rochester but much of that team actually bears Murray's fingerprints. Olofsson, Nylander, Asplund, CJ Smith. Botterill added Redmond and O'Regan but I'd chalk their core and therefore success more up to Murray overall. 

Right. How many of Botterill's acquisitions in Rochester are likely to be NHL players? 

• Like (+1) 1

I would do a complete overhaul of the hockey department. If you are gonna get this team back on the right track they have and I mean they have to start hitting on these draft picks. Who in their right mind would want to play for this team. They are just like the Bills. Play through your initial contracts and then leave as fast as you can. Look at the front office of the Islanders they lose their franchise player but get new coach and Lou and look this team makes the playoffs. Even Carolina has sped ahead of us.

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

It further emphasizes how bad the O'Reilly and Kane trades were.   Not getting NHL-ready prospects in return for top 6 fowards adds years to a rebuild that Botterill himself sabatoged.

The Sabres do not have a potential 2C for next season currently in their pipeline.  Botterill traded a first rounder he acquired in his doomed trades for Montour.  Montour is a good player, but he hasn't helped the overall team defense, and he doesn't fill the top 6 forwards gap.

There's no urgency in Botterill's plan, and it's going to cost him.

I think the Kane trade was OK --- he was going to test free agency so we ensured we got something. The Montour trade... I soured a bit on Guhle, but that 1st is a steep extra. Maybe a 2nd?

But now with the hindsight-mobile. This ROR deal is getting worse all the time.

Putting ROR back in the lineup and taking out Sobotka, Berglund, and Thompson.... then go and get a veteran 3/4C last offseason to help do the grunt work...  there are a handful of those Jay Beagle-esque guys out there each offseason. Go get one for a 3-year contract.... Sigh.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Those of you who want PH gone, given Pegulas respect for ex Sabres at the helm with PH & JBots, do you think they'd look at bringing Ruff back to coach?

And #1 would you want Ruff back here & do you think Lindy would accept the job?

Ruff may not be a great x's & o's guy, but he wasn't a mannequin behind the bench & his teams always seemed to be disciplined with regards to the system & played hard. Even though i think the game has passed him by at this point. Btw it just goes to show how bad things have gotten here to even consider it.

I'm just thinking of who i'd want here to coach. I'm not a big fan of most of the available coaches out there. Maybe Quennville since he's an intense guy or Rikard Gronborg who's the coach of the Swedish National team since we have so many swedes here lol.

Just curious what you guys thought as a replacement, those of you who want to go that route.

Ruff will be coming back as assistant coach if AV is hired. AV picked him for his staff on the Rangers a few years ago, he’d most likely want to do it again. And Pegula would LOVE it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think the Kane trade was OK --- he was going to test free agency so we ensured we got something. The Montour trade... I soured a bit on Guhle, but that 1st is a steep extra. Maybe a 2nd?

But now with the hindsight-mobile. This ROR deal is getting worse all the time.

Putting ROR back in the lineup and taking out Sobotka, Berglund, and Thompson.... then go and get a veteran 3/4C last offseason to help do the grunt work...  there are a handful of those Jay Beagle-esque guys out there each offseason. Go get one for a 3-year contract.... Sigh.

The 1st we traded has the same likelihood of producing an NHL player as our 2nd rounder would. Once you hit pick ~20 you're basically in a really long second round. 

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Taking two teams to the playoffs doesn't change your opinion?

No, what he did 20 years ago means nothing to me. And it shouldn't to anyone else. And his continued unemployment should be evidence enough he's not NHL caliber in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Why fans think McCabe or any player is gonna throw the coach or another player under the bus, or cause drama and strife in the locker room is beyond me ...

Because people need something to yell about. If nothing else, everyone saw what good being honest did O'Reilly with the fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Please, Ted Nolan is not an NHL coach. 

Hehehe. I concur with that statement, but he was here for the tank and that was simply an AHL roster. I wasn't going to use Byslma for comparison....  Or that one guy that replaced Ruff --- you know... the USDP teacher guy where we'd have an academy of hockey?

Ruff would bash Eichel's head in with a stick too many times though.... so maybe it's not the best solution.

All in all -- it's too back Murray didn't have people skills, because I liked his overall gathering of players. Coaching decisions... questionable. But the roster construction appeared to be underway to me. (enormous overpays to get his guys.... but for the most part I liked the makeup of his guys.) But, the league went small/speed --- and our owners like the soup du jour so in comes Botterill to go speed/small. It'll take time for those players to come up. And here we are.

46 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It further emphasizes how bad the O'Reilly and Kane trades were.   Not getting NHL-ready prospects in return for top 6 fowards adds years to a rebuild that Botterill himself sabatoged.

The Sabres do not have a potential 2C for next season currently in their pipeline.  Botterill traded a first rounder he acquired in his doomed trades for Montour.  Montour is a good player, but he hasn't helped the overall team defense, and he doesn't fill the top 6 forwards gap.

There's no urgency in Botterill's plan, and it's going to cost him.

I’m not sure he could have got more for Kane, he waited until the deadline and the market was not good. To trade that pick for Montour?  We shall see but so far I think Kane is a much better player and a more rare combination of size and skill   

The ROR trade was bad.  We got a lot of junk plus a pick for a top tier center.  Terrible. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cheektorado said:

Phil in his presser on WGR.

He likes how the guys fought to the end.

Need to score more goals.

More goals would imply that they scored some goals.  Come on, Phil.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hehehe. I concur with that statement, but he was here for the tank and that was simply an AHL roster. I wasn't going to use Byslma for comparison....  Or that one guy that replaced Ruff --- you know... the USDP teacher guy where we'd have an academy of hockey?

Ruff would bash Eichel's head in with a stick too many times though.... so maybe it's not the best solution.

All in all -- it's too back Murray didn't have people skills, because I liked his overall gathering of players. Coaching decisions... questionable. But the roster construction appeared to be underway to me. (enormous overpays to get his guys.... but for the most part I liked the makeup of his guys.) But, the league went small/speed --- and our owners like the soup du jour so in comes Botterill to go speed/small. It'll take time for those players to come up. And here we are.

I'm certainly happy that Murray saddled us with Okposo...

Murray's tenure wasn't as bad as his worst detractors would argue, but let's not go pretending there weren't major problems with the roster he was assembling. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The 1st we traded has the same likelihood of producing an NHL player as our 2nd rounder would. Once you hit pick ~20 you're basically in a really long second round. 

And at this point (our complete nosedive the last 4 months) it's only a going to be about a 10-pick difference. But I like the sound of 3 first-round picks. And maybe we pair two of them to jump up a bit during the draft.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm certainly happy that Murray saddled us with Okposo...

Murray's tenure wasn't as bad as his worst detractors would argue, but let's not go pretending there weren't major problems with the roster he was assembling. 

Would have been nice to see what LaFontaine, Craig Patrick, and Murray would have done running the hockey department

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

And at this point (our complete nosedive the last 4 months) it's only a going to be about a 10-pick difference. But I like the sound of 3 first-round picks. And maybe we pair two of them to jump up a bit during the draft.

I'd always rather have the higher pick, of course. But I'm not gonna really judge a trade worse because we gave up pick 24 instead of 34, ya know? It's whatever. I'm much more concerned about Botterill's trades that send actual players away than those that have brought players in. For example, he did quite well in the Sheary/Skinner/Montour trades. O'Reilly and Kane? Less so. 

1 minute ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Would have been nice to see what LaFontaine, Craig Patrick, and Murray would have done running the hockey department

Probably the exact same thing Murray alone did. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.