GDT:Blue Jackets at Sabres 3/31/19 6pm MSG

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's hard to argue.

People will point to Rochester but much of that team actually bears Murray's fingerprints. Olofsson, Nylander, Asplund, CJ Smith. Botterill added Redmond and O'Regan but I'd chalk their core and therefore success more up to Murray overall. 

Botterill has said on many occasions Murray left some good prospects in the cupboard. One major difference is part of GMTM ZFG Attitude extended to Rochester in terms of building the Amerks. Look at the feelings of Amerks Twitter when Murray was in charge of the team, compared to now.  Under Murray there was not a set development plan for any prospects, Exhibit A, Alex Nylander. 

Under Botterill there is a dedicated GM for the Amerks in Randy Sexton unlike with GMTM who had both roles. 

Also compare the coaching/development staffs in Rochester between the two regimes.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Right. How many of Botterill's acquisitions in Rochester are likely to be NHL players? 

Pilut for one right now.

Pekar and UPL will be arriving in Rochester as soon as Sudbury’s Playoff Run is over. 

Jacob Bryson should be joining the Amerks for the Playoffs. 

2 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I would do a complete overhaul of the hockey department. If you are gonna get this team back on the right track they have and I mean they have to start hitting on these draft picks. Who in their right mind would want to play for this team. They are just like the Bills. Play through your initial contracts and then leave as fast as you can. Look at the front office of the Islanders they lose their franchise player but get new coach and Lou and look this team makes the playoffs. Even Carolina has sped ahead of us.

Why? 

It usually takes a minimum of two to three seasons for late first and second round picks to make the NHL and it’s even longer for third round and later round picks to develop.

Now look at Botterill’s Draft from 2017: Mittelstadt, Davidsson, UPL, Laaksonen, Bryson and Weissbach should all be on ELCs within the next 18 Months. The middle three are spoken very highly of by prospect pundits, UPL is following Carter Hart’s Path, Bryson has been compared to Tory Krug. Even Jame, one of Botterill’s Biggest Detractors even said how much they love the 2017 class 

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

My report card:

Skinner trade- A+

Kane- C-

o Rielly- F

Montour- C-

Agree with the Skinner and ROR grades, even though it appears the Pegula’s refusal to pay the bonus severely hampered the trade market. 

Kane was an expiring UFA, with a bad reputation around the league, Botterill read the market as San Jose was a team that would possibly extend Kane and got the best deal he could 

Montour was a very good trade for the Sabres as he is a Top 4 Defenseman. The pick is an unknown commodity and Guhle was passed on the depth chart in Rochester 

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

Yeah, I think the point is that it's extremely difficult to acquire legitimate top 6 fowards in the NHL.  You can't be cavalier with these guys, because they're difficult to replace (case in point, losing Drury and Briere for nothing basically destroyed the Sabres franchise).

When Botterill realized that he wasn't going to be able to trade Kane for a top six foward, he should have tried to work a deal with Kane to keep him long term.  Despite Kane's shortcomings, not replacing his contributions on the ice has set the franchise back years.

Kane wasn’t going to re sign here and even if he wanted to do so supposedly the Pegulas had no interest in an extension with him

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

You can see what Murray was trying to do to quickly rebuild the team.  He drafted Eichel and Reinhart, traded for O'Reilly and Kane, and signed Okposo and Moulson as free agents.

In a couple of short years he tried to build the top six fowards.  It didn't work out, mainly due to Okposo and Moulson.

The Sabres need a GM better than Murray, but as a fan I appreciate Murray's urgency with his plan. 

Murray’s Urgency and bad deals set this franchise back unfortunately 

The ROR was a very good trade for the Sabres as they needed Center Depth. 

Otherwise patience and building depth the right way to do things, especially in 2015. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill has said on many occasions Murray left some good prospects in the cupboard. One major difference is part of GMTM ZFG Attitude extended to Rochester in terms of building the Amerks. Look at the feelings of Amerks Twitter when Murray was in charge of the team, compared to now.  Under Murray there was not a set development plan for any prospects, Exhibit A, Alex Nylander. 

Under Botterill there is a dedicated GM for the Amerks in Randy Sexton unlike with GMTM who had both roles. 

Also compare the coaching/development staffs in Rochester between the two regimes.

Pilut for one right now.

Pekar and UPL will be arriving in Rochester as soon as Sudbury’s Playoff Run is over. 

Why? 

It usually takes a minimum of two to three seasons for late first and second round picks to make the NHL and it’s even longer for third round and later round picks to develop.

Now look at Botterill’s Draft from 2017: Mittelstadt, Davidsson, UPL, Laaksonen, Bryson and Weissbach should all be on ELCs within the next 18 Months. The middle three are spoken very highly of by prospect pundits, UPL is following Carter Hart’s Path, Bryson has been compared to Tory Krug. Even Jame, one of Botterill’s Biggest Detractors even said how much they love the 2017 class 

Agree with the Skinner and ROR grades, even though it appears the Pegula’s refusal to pay the bonus severely hampered the trade market. 

Kane was an expiring UFA, with a bad reputation around the league, Botterill read the market as San Jose was a team that would possibly extend Kane and got the best deal he could 

Montour was a very good trade for the Sabres as he is a Top 4 Defenseman. The pick is an unknown commodity and Guhle was passed on the depth chart in Rochester 

Kane wasn’t going to re sign here and even if he wanted to do so supposedly the Pegulas had no interest in an extension with him

Otherwise patience and building depth the right way to do things, especially in 2015. 

I like reasoned, logical, even tempered thoughts that aren’t knee-jerk... 

well done! 

• SDS unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Why fans think McCabe or any player is gonna throw the coach or another player under the bus, or cause drama and strife in the locker room is beyond me ...

LOL.  It's almost like you didn't listen to any of ROR's post game comments in his final season with the Sabres.

11 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Me neither really. But in all the fire Phil threads & posts, rarely will you ever see anyone come up with a solution or replacement, hence why I was asking for other potential coaches we could bring in. Its one thing to fire Phil for the sakes of firing him, its another thing to bring in a quality coach who can take us to the promise land.

If anyone ever does name names, Coach Q is the name most spoken. Then McLellan or Vigneault  who I wouldn't want. And then you'll hear Sheldon Keafe once & awhile, who hasnt ever coached in the NHL before & i really dont think we need another rookie coach right now.

Just curious if anyones got a potential coaches name to hope for haha

Honestly I think the next coach Is Chris Taylor from the Amerks. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Indeed, GMTM is not without serious flaws. Oi.... Okposo. Good guy, but the ICU experience and concussions... yup. It's a garbage contract --- paid for what he'd done, not for what he'd do. McNabb and 2 seconds for Fasching and DLo, also was pretty rough. A probably second-pairing D and 2 seconds for two 3/4 wingers.... not so helpful (even if the 2nds aren't quaranteed of anything).

This needs repeating, not to mention the Lehner trade.

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Pilut for one right now.

Why? 

Murray's urgency saw the 17 1st and 2nd round picks we accumulated over the next 4 drafts that should have been the cornerstone of our rebuild whittle away to nothing

Edited by matter2003

On 3/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, Tondas said:

Disappointed JJ.  We're all frustrated but I didn't see you as a band-wagoneer.

Not a bandwagoner. Like I said in my last post. Just looking for a team that can entertain me. The Sabres haven't done that. The worst team in the league since the win streak. The Panthers are kicking ass and have heart. Raleigh is playoff bound. Sabres............. nothing, The entire coaching staff and upper management needs to go. Botterill got rid of O'Reilly and let Lehner go. Lehner probably won't win the Vezina but the Islanders are 2nd in the league in save percentage. Greiss and Lehner are damn near identical in stats. 

Sorry I piss you guys off by following other teams. I'm not trolling. I'm just following my home teams. My home team was Buffalo, then it was Florida because I spent almost 20 years there. Now I'm in North Carolina and by law, the Hurricanes are my home team. By law I mean the Canes are the TV station and not the Preds. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, freester said:

Why is Botteril’s job security not in question?  

A few reasons, mostly unrelated to job performance (lucky for him) but I'll venture to guess it's because

1. He came highly recommended by the league

2. He's a Sabres alumni

3. He supposedly communicates well by talking to Terry every day

Unfortunately none of those reasons have anything to do with the Sabres winning hockey games.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

Not a bandwagoner. Like I said in my last post. Just looking for a team that can entertain me. The Sabres haven't done that. The worst team in the league since the win streak. The Panthers are kicking ass and have heart. Raleigh is playoff bound. Sabres............. nothing, The entire coaching staff and upper management needs to go. Botterill got rid of O'Reilly and let Lehner go. Lehner probably won't win the Vezina but the Islanders are 2nd in the league in save percentage. Greiss and Lehner are damn near identical in stats. 

Sorry I piss you guys off by following other teams. I'm not trolling. I'm just following my home teams. My home team was Buffalo, then it was Florida because I spent almost 20 years there. Now I'm in North Carolina and by law, the Hurricanes are my home team. By law I mean the Canes are the TV station and not the Preds. 

Lol. 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

It’s cool with me if you want to follow and like other teams. Knock yourself out.

But it IS trolling (for a reaction) when you come into a Sabres forum and comment how any team is doing amazing and you love them and follow them, and the rest of us must be dumb to follow such a crappy team etc...

You’re smart. You know the difference between a small comment not meant to troll (for a reaction). And a comment that will garner reactions. Hence trolling. Enjoy your currently doing well team, respectfully, in a Sabres forum. Is that too much to ask?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.