GDT - Bruins @ Sabres - December 29, 2018 - 7:00 PM - MSG-B; NESN

Sabres Fan in NS

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

Exactly this. Reinhart is just as important to that lines success as the other two. If you want a hot take how about that Skinner barely touches the puck in the zone on some shifts then magically is in the right spot to finish with the goal

Skinner is just a born-goal scorer.  The Sabres either need a legit 2nd line center, or they need another Skinner to team with Casey. 

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

More like delusional. They got out shot severely, out played in the 3rd and beyond, the PP is meh and to top it off they are have won 4 games in the last how many now...…...

Some of this is on Jbot too.  We will find out.  Red hot Islanders next.  Florida whom we never beat.  Then Boston again.  Not to mention we have a long western road trip coming up.  By the end of January we could be 4-5 points out of a playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Skinner is just a born-goal scorer.  The Sabres either need a legit 2nd line center, or they need another Skinner to team with Casey. 

KO needs to start scoring.  He's getting into Leino territory.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

That was supposed to be Nylander. Y'know the top 10 sniper that we drafted and had done squat so far

You’re kinda late to the “Tim Murray was a terrible GM” squad but welcome aboard. ?

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Agree we should split up Eichel and Skinner and see if we can get 2 lines going. It’s worth a shot. We’ve lost 10 of our last 14. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

More like delusional. They got out shot severely, out played in the 3rd and beyond, the PP is meh and to top it off they are have won 4 games in the last how many now...…...

The PP and PK specials teams have been putrid since he got here.  At least Disco Dan's team had a strong PP with less talent.  It like what Rex Ryan did to destroy the Bill's defense when he took over.  Reinhart's butt should be camped out in front of the goalie period on the PP....that's something he's good at, so use him there.  Tonight it feels like they went complete defensive shell in the 3rd.  Housley is delusional, but it would be bad optics to try and replace him with Q.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest issue I saw is that this team is no longer playing at the pace they were playing with earlier in the season.  Boston can't keep with that pace, but we don't use it anymore.  Why?

The second biggest is that we have way too much talent for the powerplay to be going so poorly.  Their entries are dead slow and the passing too deliberate.  They aren't forcing the short handed team to move with speed. 

And I really need to see Jack back more on that winning goal.  He needs O'Reilly's work ethic when the puck turns over.

And one more item.  JBott, get us a second line center before Mitts is ruined.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Tondas said:

It may be time to break up the Skinner-Jack-Rhino line?  Move Rhino to line 2 with Mitts and Sheary.

I'd try Reino at center with Sheary and Okposo, IF I'm breaking up that line.  Pominville-Eichel-Skinner was successful early; maybe it can be again.  Mittelstadt can work at 3C for a while and build his skills.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I'd try Reino at center with Sheary and Okposo, IF I'm breaking up that line.  Pominville-Eichel-Skinner was successful early; maybe it can be again.  Mittelstadt can work at 3C for a while and build his skills.

good call... Sheary could be like the Skinner of our second line IF he has a decent playmaking center there 

Reinhart needs a better shooter on that line and also somebody with more speed.  KO on that line would guarantee another failed experiment.  I'd rather see them try Oloffson (sp?).

The problem is that if you want to distribute scoring, the guys to break up on that line are Eichel and Skinner.  If you want a playmaker/scorer combo, then the move should be something like Eichel/Reinhart and Mittelstadt/Skinner.

And, at this point, that's just a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The problem is that if you want to distribute scoring, the guys to break up on that line are Eichel and Skinner.  If you want a playmaker/scorer combo, then the move should be something like Eichel/Reinhart and Mittelstadt/Skinner.

And, at this point, that's just a bad idea.

I'm not sure this is right.  But it would be a horrible idea to break them up.

Bos player shoots the puck. One Sabre does not slow him down. Another doesn’t clear the rebound. Hutton overplaying the shot. 

GTG. Bos player carries to the top of the point  and the box doesn’t move, at all. Screen is uncontested. 

The next team video review should be D3 The Mighty Ducks. Clear the trash. 

Mitts will be an awesome player someday, not today. Same for TT. 

ERod I doubt is with the team in two years if they continue to progress.

If JBott is serious about the playoffs and I think he should be, we need to look at moving some middle pieces for a 2C. That 2C and Sheary would be the lesser Jack and Skinner. Right now we have a FL1 and FL4 with some straight garbage in between.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure this is right.  But it would be a horrible idea to break them up.

Eichel and Skinner have 35% of the Sabres total goals.  If you want to distribute scoring on the current roster, those are the guys to move.  It is a horrible idea, and that's why JBots has got to make some moves to fix the rest of the roster.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Nice charts, not sure what unblocked shot rate for and against really tells you in a team sport.  I assume the other 4 players, and the 5 opponents also drive the data. 

I just heard Housley say Pilot did not have a good game against St Louis.  I would agree with that  but no one did.  

I dont see the problem with letting Pilut sit a game.    I also think Beaulieu has played good this year, better than Scandella has. Of course I’m fully aware Beaulieu can self destruct at any time.  

Actually that’s exactly what the charts show, that the Sabres have more offense when Pilut is on the ice compared to Beaulieu and Scandella. 

Scandella has consistently been on the ice for the most shots against the Sabres since he came back from Injury. Sure Pilut had a bad game versus St Louis, but statistically Scandy was worse.  If anyone was going to sit for a game it should have been him. 

Even with his two points, he still was on the ice for the most shots against. (Blind Squirrel Finds Nut Analogy Here) 

And you are absolutely right Beaulieu has been much better then Scandella 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Ugh, just ugh.....

Waive Ellie when possible

Sit Okposo when Wilson returns

Bring up some young blood

I still will never put Reinhart at center though

Skinner - Eichel - CJ Smith

Sheary - Sobotka - Reinhart

Mitts - ERod - Pominville

Girgs/Ellie - Larsson - Okposo

Those middle two lines would be no better than what they have now, and the first line wouldn't be as good as it is now.

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Ugh, just ugh.....

Waive Ellie when possible

Sit Okposo when Wilson returns

Bring up some young blood

I still will never put Reinhart at center though

Skinner - Eichel - CJ Smith

Sheary - Sobotka - Reinhart

Mitts - ERod - Pominville

Girgs/Ellie - Larsson - Okposo

Just now, jad1 said:

Those middle two lines would be no better than what they have now, and the first line wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Yes they would. Sheary has good hands and Sam has the vision. Sobotka is the one who doesn’t necessarily belong on FL2. The intent is Sam and Sheary together creating.

Third line consists of two wingers who are ok in their own end but can both score, Pommers in the dirty area. Although I’m off the ERod train he works hard. Makes me think of Girgs taking the third line center spot.

FL2 has increased skill. FL3 would/could have energy and experience (with Girgs).

Removing KO from a scoring position is addition by subtraction.

52 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Apparently to get our only shot of the OT   

Jiack needs a rest.  Did you you see how lousy 37 played?  

52 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

At least he wasn't on the ice when the B's scored the OT goal....some of our best players were on the ice instead.  I'd rather see Sobotka than some of the other liabilities we have on the roster (KO, Mitts, etc.)

51 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Because he was probably one of the few guys skating tonight.

So we are all going to forget his terrible clearing attempt on the PK that ended up in the back of the net for the tying goal a few seconds later?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.