GDT - The Very Sharp Sabres @ The Very, Very Frightening (NOT!!) Lightning of Tampa - November 29, 2018 - 7:30 PM (EST) - 8:30 PM (NS time)

Sabres Fan in NS

5 hours ago, inkman said:

It's almost like they aren't the best team in hockey.  

Can we stop with the hokey GDT stuff. Reading titles like "The super most bestest pointy swords of the almighty King vs the naughty heathens from our dastardly rival city" is getting a little annoying. 

No one will like this but the winning was bringing out the worst on some of y'all. The Sabres have a loooooooooong way to go to garner the type of cache many here we're bestowing upon them. 

They're a good young team. Enjoy the ride but let's pump the brakes with the ideology that this team has made it to the promise Land or something. Lots of work to do. Good young players are on the way. 

Don’t you just hate people getting excited about their team winning 10 straight after years of being awful? It’s the worst!

Edited by bg17
Being tech challenged
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Can we stop with the hokey GDT stuff. Reading titles like "The super most bestest pointy swords of the almighty King vs the naughty heathens from our dastardly rival city" is getting a little annoying. 

No one will like this but the winning was bringing out the worst on some of y'all. The Sabres have a loooooooooong way to go to garner the type of cache many here we're bestowing upon them. 

They're a good young team. Enjoy the ride but let's pump the brakes with the ideology that this team has made it to the promise Land or something. Lots of work to do. Good young players are on the way. 

Are we not allowed to analyze a game, in a game day thread anymore? That would annoy me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well, no one expected that they would win them all.  

They played pretty well.  Certainly well enough to lose to a great team on a goal late in the third.  It seems that for the first time in the 10 game WS the goalie did not come to their rescue, but that could not continue.

We will get them next time.

I look forward to the next winning streak.

A dose of reality is good.  

And chz and Inky ... message received.

Hope you told them where to stick it... common that was nit picking.

4 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

Driving home I ask the wife if she wants me to wait until she comes back from the kid’s gymnastics to watch the game (replay). She makes a sour face and says “ it was a good game” in a defeated tone. 

Then she tells me her sister was watching it while they were Facetimeing. The one thing I was looking forward to. Game 11 of the streak and this is how I find out they lost.?

Have you considered trading her in?

3 hours ago, bg17 said:

Don’t you just hate people getting excited about their team winning 10 straight after years of being awful? It’s the worst!

You won't find anything in my post about not celebrating your teams success. I'm just trying to caution some about the braggadocios behavior and unrealistic expectations. I still think this team is a borderline playoff team. I suspect they will hit some ruts with some losing streaks and they will equilibriate back to 5th or 6th in the conference. 

@Randall Flagg -- I agree that Sobotka doesn't create much offense, and that ideally a guy who plays 13-16 min per game would create more.  But you've repeatedly made pretty extreme assertions about how bad he is (perhaps not in this thread, but that is really neither here nor there) -- those are what I'm pushing back on.  He's a smart player who plays with a bit of an edge and is pretty much always in the right position. 

As for his fancystats -- as you point out, he's played quite a bit with Reino, and when he does his offensive stats are solid -- but I'd expect that playing with Reino probably impairs his d-zone stats.  And I'd expect that playing with a running-on-fumes Pommer the last few games has hurt both his O-zone and D-zone stats (with the periodically shaky ERod also hurting his d-zone stats).

There's a reason Howie trusts him in crunch time. 

I'll explain more over lunch.

• Like (+1) 2

Learning experience for the boys.  In a 4 game stretch they'll have played the best, 2nd best, & then (sadly) arguably the 3rd best (though their D & goaltending are suspect & probably not as good as Winnipeg due to that, & until knocked out the Caps have to get consideration) teams in the league.  They just lost to the best team in a 1 goal game missing IMHO their best D-man this season for 2 periods, their 4th/5th best D-man, their 2nd best LW (like what Thompson's been doing, but he needs to do it longer to supplant Sheary), & their top checking RW.  And as if that weren't enough adversity, their goalie that had been lights out was just good, their rookie phenom D-man reminded us he's a rookie, & the top LW had his worst game since the season opener.

I wasn't as down on their play as most were.  They battled hard against the top team in the league & that top team had 2 chips on their shoulders (the earlier loss in Buffalo & the loss to Anaheim at home - didn't see that game but might the Bolts have been looking past them thinking about the Sabres?).  As had been mentioned earlier by others if Skinner were 90% of what we've seen typically, they almost definitely get at least a point tonight.  (How is it that TB isn't reveling in that? ;) (Don't worry TB, we do understand why. :beer:)

Dahlin had a tough night, but he seems to bounce back well.  Not worried about him tonight, but if McCabe &/or Scandella aren't back by Nashville; that could be another long night for him.

They need to not look past the Swamp Cats, & I'd be shocked if they do.  I expect them to play hard tonight & maybe even a little chippy having just played their 1st playoff style game in 1/2 a decade.

I know it is not popular around here, but I'd really like to see Reinhart stay on Eichel's wing for at least 2 more games.  Pominville would not have had either of those 2 goals.  He couldn't have been to either spot in time to score them.  Skinner will adjust to playing with Reinhart & understanding how he plays.  When he does, I expect that line to be getting close to 2/game.  Get another 1/ game from the Mittelstadt line or D (probably 0.6/0.4 each) & then have one of the other 2 lines chip in a goal every other game & you're looking at 3.5/game which with this goaltending is plenty good enough to win a majority of their games.

When Olafsson eventually comes up, I'd give him a look with Eichel, partly to see what could happen giving Eichel a finisher on either side & also to see if Reinhart could rejuvenate the 3rd line.  But until then, I'd still like Sam to spend most of his time with Jack.  They can always flip him & Pominville midgame if Jason is on the 3rd line as a change up.

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Hope you told them where to stick it... common that was nit picking.

No.  That's not my style and not worth the effort.  The reaction you all saw in the thread was it.  Nothing more.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The only part of my post directed at you was the part about the Sabres not being the best team in hockey. Analyze your dick off. 

I understand and appreciate your posting style Inky, but that last point is over the line, IMO, and not needed. 

You are a veteran of this place and have a lot of good to give and you have, but this was not your finest hour, again IMO.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
sticky keboard ...

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

Paquette is on my list now. I'm placing a bounty. 

What a punk. ***** that guy.

(Damn it’s nice to care enough to hate again.)

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sam's second goal was by far the most intelligent thing any Sabre did tonight. It was awesome. 

Paul Hamilton was calling it lucky. What a joke.

First of all, gaining the blueline, driving outside and the pass by Jack were sublime - skill used to create space.

Secondly, Sam drove hard to the net, was effectively checked, and smartly (and legally) used his skates to score because it was the only play available to him. It was directed, not a bounce.

This is exactly how you score in this league and what coaches have been telling deaf and/or talentless Sabre forwards to do for years.

Also, if you track that goal back, you will see it happened because of a great defensive read by Sam, where he pulled back to the goal, broke up a scoring chance and quickly turned the ice around.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

NS you are too much of a gentleman and I appreciate that, good for you being the better man.  Always gets me in trouble like Baloos defense retaliation of hit on Bogo, I often end up with a 10 min misconduct when obseqiously riled.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Look I agree on Vlad... sorry you are dead wrong on Risto... PS he won us the game on a slap shot in OT... just saying and when his minutes are kept to around 20 I think he is great.

What does a slapshot have to do with getting the lumber in guy's faces with a protective ref nearby after the whistle? I'm not telling Risto to stop checking guys during play. That's when he's at his best. But I've seen other players literally laughing at his antics, effectively telling him "look at the scoreboard you goofball" 

It's irritating and all it does is remind me of when we were the most pathetically bad team the league had seen in ages

12 hours ago, darksabre said:

Paquette is on my list now. I'm placing a bounty. 

Yeah I thought that was Marchand out there but when the league allows that douchery others will follow.

It makes me wonder if because these guys are shorter/smaller on a skilled more prominent team they get more leeway.  I am not saying we didn't get away with a few things but I do not feel like the playing field has been even lately for obvious more dangerous infractions that have been allowed against the Sabres. 

Warning I do wear glasses although not real rose colored(blue) but could be Sabres biased     

• Like (+1) 1

Tampa was getting away with a lot of interference last night.  Part of it was they kept their feet moving while doing it. Also a lot of quick grabbing of sticks and bs behing the play.  Refs let them get away with a lot and it effected Sabres transition plays. PH is going to need to figure out ways to deal with that stuff because it happens a lot in the playoffs and Sabres are going need to figure out how to play thru it.  Good learning experience for this young team because Tampa showed them how its done.

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Now that somebody has said this, I don't feel bad for saying that y'all looking to give Pominville a new contract are cray, and his/Vlad/some of the other bottom sixers' spots need to be upgraded internally or externally next season, and hopefully even this one! 

I think this team is a couple forward replacements away from being a solid team capable of being a perennial contender. Pommers had a great start but is not a 1st liner and is now being exposed on a lower line - we need to find a replacement for him, Sobotka and another middle 6 center. The occasional bad shift from our weaker players made a big difference when you're playing a team of TB's caliber.

All that being said, the roster situation is significantly improved from the offseason when it was Jack and Sam and a bunch of ?? at forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's worth noting that the ice appeared to be dreadful last night. I have never seen Sam fall the way he did at the end there, and if Dahlin is whiffing on that many pucks, something is weird. Nobody could handle passes they've handled all season. I guess Tampa's players are used to it?

This was something I meant to bring up during the game but forgot. The ice looked dreadful. Our skaters looked like they were struggling to react and, as you mention, guys like Sam wiping out so much was quite out of character. I thought Skinner even looked slow at times. 

14 hours ago, inkman said:

They have graduated to being a good team, but I agree that the winning streak has got us all dreaming of lofty "bast in the league" thoughts. There are still lots of areas to improve in order to be in the echelon of teams like Tampa Bay.

But it has been fun :)

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I think this team is a couple forward replacements away from being a solid team capable of being a perennial contender. Pommers had a great start but is not a 1st liner and is now being exposed on a lower line - we need to find a replacement for him, Sobotka and another middle 6 center. The occasional bad shift from our weaker players made a big difference when you're playing a team of TB's caliber.

All that being said, the roster situation is significantly improved from the offseason when it was Jack and Sam and a bunch of ?? at forward. 

Right, I'm happy where we are. I didn't mean that to be a stomping my feet and crying type of statement (not saying you or anyone claimed it is), just, we're in a process and here's what I think the next steps of the process are.

Also, Kyle had comments that reflected what several posters have said in here. He said that it's the first time a lot of our players have played a game like that, as close to a playoff game you can get before the playoffs. 

Great experience. If we can hang on and get there in April, our guys will be more prepared for those games because of this one.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, Kyle had comments that reflected what several posters have said in here. He said that it's the first time a lot of our players have played a game like that, as close to a playoff game you can get before the playoffs. 

Great experience. If we can hang on and get there in April, our guys will be more prepared for those games because of this one.

And for perspective, if that was the first 'playoff atmosphere' style game that our youngin's experienced they seemed to have handled themselves rather well against that pressure. 5-4 is nothing to sneeze at, regardless of how we got there.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

And for perspective, if that was the first 'playoff atmosphere' style game that our youngin's experienced they seemed to have handled themselves rather well against that pressure. 5-4 is nothing to sneeze at, regardless of how we got there.

This is the right way to look at the loss last night, IMO.

The winning goal was scored with less than 6 minutes left in the third, IIRC.  The Sabres had the lead earlier in the third, but gave up the tie-er-up-er on a Stamkos PP slapper (?).  Not to shabby at all really.  On the road.  Against the best and most balanced team in the Conference, if not the League.

The Sabres went into Tampa and said ... bring it on.  The Lightning did and the Sabres very nearly came out of it with a win, or at least, a tie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.