Trotz resigns from Caps

GASabresIUFAN

All this finger pointing at Washington... I have not read what Trotz was asking for in a new contract.

If he wanted $5M per season it might explain things a bit right?

I don't want Trotz.. the man has FINALLY won a Stanley Cup and now everyone wants him.  No thanks.  Another new system, new thinking, new message... no, no, no.

There's nothing wrong with Phil Housley, not a single thing.

All this finger pointing at Washington... I have not read what Trotz was asking for in a new contract.

If he wanted $5M per season it might explain things a bit right?

I don't want Trotz.. the man has FINALLY won a Stanley Cup and now everyone wants him. No thanks. Another new system, new thinking, new message... no, no, no.

There's nothing wrong with Phil Housley, not a single thing.

Well, he did his damndest to sabotage our power play for what, about half the season?

Well, he did his damndest to sabotage our power play for what, about half the season?

What was the difference between the power play in the first part of the season and the second part of the season?  The entire team changed its course around December 2... even strength, power play, even giving up short handed goals.

There were adjustments made.

The team was not meant to win a lot of games last year.  It was meant to be evaluated... the entire season.  

If this season doesn't show signs of improvement, then I would begin questioning Housley.  That said, I still don't want Trotz.  There's this emphasis that a coach makes all the difference.  People were gonzo over Babcock and have since cooled considerably on him.  There's the story that he can't get along with the young players. The theory on GM's is very similar.  You get lucky and get a few good players and you look like a genius GM.  One player bombs on you, despite the fact the entire world would have picked the same player at the time, and you look like a failure.

A coach can help you win, but he won't make you win.  The players make you win.  A coach can certainly make you lose. 

Where is the proof for this? How is Trotz a top 5 coach in the league? 

He is second in active coaches in wins now that Hitch has retired.  He is one of 8 active coaches with a Cup win and has the same numbers of wins as Babcock.  In fact only Sullivan (2) and Quenneville (3) have more then one Cup win. 

He took an expansion team and help build them into one of the top franchises in league.  Then went to Washington and changed their mentality to play defense and helped them win their first President's trophy and Stanley Cup, all while winning .677 of his games in Washington including 3 division titles in arguably the toughest division in hockey and then won the Cup there with arguably his least talented but strongest defensive team.  Also Trotz's career pts % is 611 (same as Babcocks) after the initial expansion years in Nashville.  Trotz coached teams has made the playoff 11 of 14 Years and have had only 1 year where they were under 500 in the last 14.  

If I had to list my top 10 (plus 1)

1. Quenneville

2. Laviolette

3. Babcock

4. Trotz

5. Boudreau

6. Sullivan - He needs to show me what he can do without a stacked roster.

7. Tortorella

8. Vigneault

9. Julien

10. Cooper

11. Gallant - He impressed me this year with what he did in LV

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Coaches are like managers, business owners, etc.  You find the one that fits the situation of your team and can lead it during that phase.  If you need to change leadership to adjust with where the team is at, you do.

There are coaches who are good at developing young talent.  Overall they struggle to get a talented team to play to the next level.

There are coaches who cannot develop young talent but can get a talented group to play to that next level.

Some coaches will appear to be better in winning record, but it mostly comes from the team itself, not the coach.

Some coaches will win the Cup.

Edited by LTS

Trotz is an excellent coach. One of the top 5 in this league. He now has as many Cups as Babcock and has earned a long-term extension at top 5 $.

Trotz was 2 losses against CBJ in the first round from getting canned this past season.

How many years in a row now have many people expected the Caps to win it all? Yes, Pittsburgh. Excellent coaches overcome that roadblock.

Did Trotz make the Caps win this year? Or was it Ovi deciding this was the year it was going to happen and put the team on his back? I will credit Trotz (or someone on his staff) for seeing the weakness in the VGK transition game and making the adjustment to clog center ice and force everything outside.

Howie has to start the year at 2-18 before JBot will have to bow to the pressure to replace him. Howie has at least 3 seasons to show improvement (make the playoffs) and JBot has at least 5 years (and 2 coaches) to show improvement (win at least the first round of the playoffs). God forbid that we are looking at another coaching change anytime soon.

Trotz was 2 losses against CBJ in the first round from getting canned this past season.

How many years in a row now have many people expected the Caps to win it all? Yes, Pittsburgh. Excellent coaches overcome that roadblock.

Did Trotz make the Caps win this year? Or was it Ovi deciding this was the year it was going to happen and put the team on his back? I will credit Trotz (or someone on his staff) for seeing the weakness in the VGK transition game and making the adjustment to clog center ice and force everything outside.

Howie has to start the year at 2-18 before JBot will have to bow to the pressure to replace him. Howie has at least 3 seasons to show improvement (make the playoffs) and JBot has at least 5 years (and 2 coaches) to show improvement (win at least the first round of the playoffs). God forbid that we are looking at another coaching change anytime soon.

Right? I feel like this is all just because he finally got over the hump and won a Cup. He was this close to losing early in the playoffs, again, and the fact that he finally didn't, all of the sudden people are clamoring for him? Just a ton of recency bias 

Quenneville?!  The guy who couldn't do anything with an excellent St. Louis roster or a very good Colorado roster, but suddenly won some Cups once he had a team of Hall-of-Famers?  He's racked up his share of first-round losses in Chicago, too.

Quenneville?!  The guy who couldn't do anything with an excellent St. Louis roster or a very good Colorado roster, but suddenly won some Cups once he had a team of Hall-of-Famers?  He's racked up his share of first-round losses in Chicago, too.

I mean he racked up 3 Cups and a more Conference Finals appearances too. Little different 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.