Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

As an example of other GM's being obtuse - an NHL GM actually "bet his house" that Lou was going to offer sheet Nylander this summer. 

I predict he gets 11 million and signs sometime before training camp of the season that his contract actually doesn't cover. It is completely fair, considering Jack got 10 million for a 56 point season and a 76 pace season with no awards. Matthews has an award, has the 2nd best goal scoring rate of all NHL players over his first two seasons, one of which was a teenage season, and has experienced far more team success. He had a 69 point season and then paced for like 84. He's won them a playoff game before. 11 million would be completely fair if it were to be inked right this second, and he has an opportunity to increase that value. It would be reasonable, if he played a key result in a playoff run and won a Hart, Richard, or Rocket, to maybe even match McDavid's number. It depends on what happens and when he signs. 

I agree that $11m is fair value.    I just don't think he's going to accept anything less than $12m.   

34 minutes ago, sabills said:

Couldn't that 2020 first belong to the Sabres if the Sharks win the lotto? Not that I'm expecting it.

Not anymore.  Seems that SJ has made its decision.

Update:

This is all making me conditionally crazy, however, because the Senators website says this, which may as well be the same thing?

Dm_wA_GWsAEgvCG.jpg

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Peter Fish, Eichel's Boston-based agent, said Tuesday night in an email to The Buffalo News. "To be perfectly honest, we had advised Jack to play out the year because we feel that there is a greater potential for more money at the end of this season.  But it was important for Jack to get a deal done that was friendly for both sides and it would not hamstring the Sabres going forward. He wants to help the Sabres win a championship someday."

...meanwhile, in Toronto, AM is demanding at least $12.5/yr... because that's what's important to him. 

Image result for nodding yes gif

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This TOR situation is a powder keg.    Nylander is holding out, AM wants McDavid money, and Babcock is an old school coach who is already starting with the snarky comments.  

There is definitely at least a modicum of truth, here. 

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

That Blue and Gold wearing goaltender had better not be some 1999 reference (yes I know the Sabres were wearing the goatheads back then).

I think it may very well be. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Very surprised Seguin accepted less than Eichel.

It's 78.5 million over 8 years vs 80 million over 8. $1.5 total difference. It's nothing. 

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe he values winning a Cup more than a few extra dollars? ....unlike some other guys *cough* *cough*.   

See above. If anything, it makes Jack's contract look better as he's younger than Seguin, who probably represents Jack's floor. 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Today in off-ice testing, Ottawa's JG Pageau, he of the 4 goal playoff game and stellar defensive play, injured his achilles tendon and might be out 4-6 months. 

My god

This has to be one of the best days to be an Avs fan since Roy retired.

If not THE best day since then.

39 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The Leaves have stricken their ban on facial hair.

This is hilarious.  I can grow a beard more quickly than most of those players.  (Those who have met me know what I mean.)

So they finally make the playoffs in back to back years for (pretty sure) the 1st time this century & suddenly care about playoff beards?  Interesting.