Evander Kane, re-signs with SJ 7x7yrs

LGR4GM

Trading it elsewhere includes trading it to SJ for this year's 25th though.  I want players now.  Not when I'm 70.

You'll get more elsewhere than you will from SJ. i.e. use SJ pick to get a player now, not some late first this year. Or keep the pick as it will likely be better than 25 next year

Edited by WildCard

You'll get more elsewhere than you will from SJ. i.e. use SJ pick to get a player now, not some late first this year. Or keep the pick as it will likely be better than 25 next year

*Looks at Pacific Division* I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same next year, though I'll give you that it's not likely to get worse.

*Looks at Pacific Division* I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same next year, though I'll give you that it's not likely to get worse.

The Sharks are only getting older, and Edmonton/Calgary have to be better this year

John Vogl Retweeted John Vogl

As it stands now, the Sabres have seven selections in next month's NHL Draft, including the first overall pick, and eight picks in 2020, including six in the first four rounds.

What’s the difference in strength between this year’s draft compared to next? That also needs to be considered. This year has a large drop off after the top of the second round. Corey Pronman has only 21 players with first round grades.

Next years draft is deeper at forward I know that. Will take some time for us to really get a feel for how good it will be. 

So, the Sabres get the Sharks' 1st this year? Nice pick up in a good draft year. GMJB won't trade it. You can get a very good player in the first round regardless if it is 20 or 30. 

Wow, 49m for Kaner? Someone that hasn't ever scored more than 30 goals with his track record? He has only hit 50 points twice... Wow. Teams with short memories. Kaner will like it there though, a short chopper ride to Vegas, no? Three team trade list? Holy, who is his agent?

Having said that, I expect Kaner to do well into about his 2nd year before he starts acting up again. SJ will regret this contract. Chevy signed Scheifele to 6.125m and Kaner gets 7m? Wow.

Edited by Ducky

So, the Sabres get the Sharks' 1st this year? Nice pick up in a good draft year. GMJB won't trade it. You can get a very good player in the first round regardless if it is 20 or 30. 

Wow, 49m for Kaner? Someone that hasn't ever scored more than 30 goals with his track record? Wow. Teams with short memories. Kaner will like it there though, a short chopper ride to Vegas, no? Three team trade list? Holy, who is his agent?

Having said that, I expect Kaner to do well into about his 2nd year before he starts acting up again. SJ will regret this contract. Chevy signed Scheifele to 6.125m and Kaner gets 7m? Wow.

Yeah Scheifele is a freaking steal. Bergeron, Marchand, AND Pasternak all cost less than Kane too

Terrible, terrible contract for SJ to take

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun 4m4 minutes ago

More

The deal also includes a modified no-trade; Kane can pick 3 teams he's willing to be traded to

That's some pretty great protection for Kane and something the Sharks are almost certainly going to regret before the contract runs out.

Either San Jose is going to regret it when his body falls apart or Kane is going to regret it when San Jose starts a rebuild in two years.

• 1 month later...

Nice article in the Players tribune today

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/evander-kane-san-jose-sharks-nhl/

The trade to Buffalo was an opportunity to start fresh. I was only there for three years, but I really did enjoy my time as a Sabre. It was disappointing we couldn’t get the on-ice results to match the support we had from the fans. There are a lot of good people in that organization. From Jason down to the training staff, they want to right the ship. Leaving a place that wasn’t having success was difficult, because I wanted to be part of the fix. They have a great young leader in Jack Eichel, but the team was in a rebuild mode. I’m nine years into my career and I wanted to give myself the best opportunity to win, and I think San Jose gives me that opportunity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.