The Athletic Buffalo

Brawndo

I subscribed last night. $42 for the 1st year ($30 for college students). Very good content (including 2 of the best hockey writers I’ve seen in Eric Duhatschek and James Mirtle), with plenty of #fancystats, a customizable feed and a good app.

Just seen on Facebook that it's 1/2 off presently at $2.50 a month. Are they scamming potential Buffalo members?? I realize that's not a big difference BUT!!!

I subscribed last night. $42 for the 1st year ($30 for college students). Very good content (including 2 of the best hockey writers I’ve seen in Eric Duhatschek and James Mirtle), with plenty of #fancystats, a customizable feed and a good app.

Ah, that’s where Duhatschek went.

I’m probably going to give this a shot.

Id do it if Tim G wasnt there. He’s an insufferable prick. Still may consider.

Helluva writer.

His DB level has progressed to the point where I am sometimes conscious of it when I read his stuff.

But it never seems to permeate his storytelling, just his public interactions.

• 2 weeks later...

I took advantage of their 50% off deal for college students (I've been out of college for a while now but as long as you have a .edu email it will take the discount) and it has been worth every penny so far. I wasn't sure how much content they were going to produce just starting up in Buffalo, but even if it was just for the Buffalo related articles I would say it's worth the price of admission. 

I am pretty torn about this in principle.

I want newspapers to survive in whatever form that may be. We need real journalists serving the public and reporting on government and corporate activities. We can not survive in an informational vacuum.

I think this just takes another profit center from them.

I am pretty torn about this in principle.

I want newspapers to survive in whatever form that may be. We need real journalists serving the public and reporting on government and corporate activities. We can not survive in an informational vacuum.

I think this just takes another profit center from them.

I agree with you, that’s why I subscribe to both The Athletic and continue to get daily delivery of The Buffalo News

Is there a reason that the real journalists cannot do the same thing that the apparently non-real sports journalists are doing?

Couldn't The Atlantic hire local reporters to provide a focus on Buffalo politics and corporate activities?

Newspapers are a dying medium.  The ability to be a reporter is still a useful and desired skill.  It just has to be delivered differently.

Is there a reason that the real journalists cannot do the same thing that the apparently non-real sports journalists are doing?

Couldn't The Atlantic hire local reporters to provide a focus on Buffalo politics and corporate activities?

Newspapers are a dying medium.  The ability to be a reporter is still a useful and desired skill.  It just has to be delivered differently.

People have been suggesting this model for years where you subscribe to one online paper but get them all (or some large portion). That's where legacy models get in the way. TA was able to start fresh and take advantage of laid off talent.

All I can say is that the Athletic's Sabres coverage over the last week or so has been excellent -- including a new Kris Baker piece on the developmental camp -- and far superior to TBN's coverage.

I will say that Harrington appears to be trying harder.

I will say that Harrington appears to be trying harder.

He definitely is trying harder on social media.

And poor Amy Moritz!  One day last week, she had three articles on the front sports page and another inside.  That's a lot of work.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, North Buffalo said:

Id do it if Tim G wasnt there. He’s an insufferable prick. Still may consider.

Like him or hate him, whatever, but his story in the Athletic on Andrew Oglevie was outstanding.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:53 PM, Brawndo said:

I agree with you, that’s why I subscribe to both The Athletic and continue to get daily delivery of The Buffalo News

Same, i'm a subscriber to both.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.