Svechnikov vs. Dahlin; Not as clear cut as it seems???

Onceagain

To me it comes down to position. Franchise D are much more valuable than a franchise w.

This quote: "There have been 13 defensemen out of the maximum 30 possible finalists for the last 10 Norris trophies (2008-2018). " shows how a top notch defenseman can sustain dominance over many years seeing as so many receive repeat nominations for the Norris.

The only winger to receive more than 1 hart nomination is Ovi. The rest cashed on the best season of truly outstanding careers.

Unless Svech projects as overchkin and you think Dahlin maxes out at letang, phaneuf or suter, you have to take the D man.

Edited by Stu

Just some food for thought. I thought this was an interesting read. Sounds like Svechnikov is this year's Eichel. Curious to all your thoughts on this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-rasmus-dahlin-andrei-svechnikov-prospect-rankings-best-players-grades/1bu390eqzo3821r9va411nmkf9

Even if he's Eichel we seem slated to get the McDavid of the draft.....

Read this guy’s rationale elsewhere; he’s basically saying Svechnikov is scoring goals at unheard-of rates for draft-eligible players and hasn’t been getting the hype he deserves. He has him ranked first, but says it’s more of a salute to him, than a knock on Dahlin, who he thinks will be a star. He also thinks that the Sabres should take Dahlin.

Svechnikov is a step above everyone, except Dahlin. The only knock on him is that he is still learning the defensive side of the game but he wants to learn it and has shown improvement there. He reminds me a little of Laine except Svechnikov doesn't have as good of a shot. He scores some gritty goals though and is really smart offensively. 

Franchise D are so few and far between when you have the chance at one (not saying he will be one, but the feeling is that it is very probable that he will be) you have to take it.

Whoever is drafting 2nd (I forget who ... Carolina, I think) will very likely have their franchise winger.  Poor Montreal ... always a brides maid brides maid and never a brides maid, or a bride.

Franchise D are so few and far between when you have the chance at one (not saying he will be one, but the feeling is that it is very probable that he will be) you have to take it.

Whoever is drafting 2nd (I forget who ... Carolina, I think) will very likely have their franchise winger.  Poor Montreal ... always a brides maid brides maid and never a brides maid, or a bride.

Not true, Ek has them trading for Toews, they'll be fine

How can we be sure of any sort of chemistry upgrade? No two players in our organization have as much chemistry as ROR does with Reinhart.

I was talking locker room - mopey Ryan for the GREATEST LEADER SINCE MESSIER! ????

Edited by dudacek

I was talking locker room - mopey Ryan for the GREATEST LEADER SINCE MESSIER!

Ah. 

As much as I dislike Toews (relative to other super stars, and his treatment by media, I have no actual ill will towards Toews the person or player), "leadership" is going to be a focal point of the offseason, and if there is an NHL player that embodies that, it's Toews. 

Obviously, that contract is just about impossible to add.

Getting back on topic, there is no way the Sabres draft anyone but Dahlin 1st overall (barring meteor strike or other horrific event).

Could somebody else end up w/ a better career? Yeah. But there are much longer odds of somebody else being this draft's best player than there are that it's Rasmus. And, if there is a future HoFer in this class (which is in no way a given), the chances are greatest that it's the left shooting RD.

Getting back on topic, there is no way the Sabres draft anyone but Dahlin 1st overall (barring meteor strike or other horrific event).

Could somebody else end up w/ a better career? Yeah. But there are much longer odds of somebody else being this draft's best player than there are that it's Rasmus. And, if there is a future HoFer in this class (which is in no way a given), the chances are greatest that it's the left shooting RD.

And that is why it IS as clear cut as it seems.

Yep.

And with words like Hedman, Doughty, and even Lidstrom being used, Svech would have to literally be Ovechkin and then you still might take Dahlin.

I've repeatedly read these names as comparisons. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Borje Salming? Any reason other than age?

To me it comes down to position. Franchise D are much more valuable than a franchise w.

This quote: "There have been 13 defensemen out of the maximum 30 possible finalists for the last 10 Norris trophies (2008-2018). " shows how a top notch defenseman can sustain dominance over many years seeing as so many receive repeat nominations for the Norris.

The only winger to receive more than 1 hart nomination is Ovi. The rest cashed on the best season of truly outstanding careers.

Unless Svech projects as overchkin and you think Dahlin maxes out at letang, phaneuf or suter, you have to take the D man.

Absolutely...and not only is he electric offensively he is also pretty good defensively as well

This is part of the normal flow of pre-draft hype, right? It seems like (almost) every year people start to scrutinize the likely top picks and someone always writes about how the consensus #2-3 pick might be as good as #1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.