Breakout Candidates 2018-19

GASabresIUFAN

Who will breakout (take their game to another level) next season and can we get any of them?

Most of these guys are 23-25 years old and because of a departure on their team or commonly a trade to another team, their role increases and their career takes off.

I think ERod is one such candidate. If he wins a job as Jacks LW, I can see him hitting 50 pts next year.

Thoughts?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

But who on other teams and do you think they could be acquired for a reasonable price?  In various threads guys like Tobias Rieder, Rust, and Sheahan have been mentioned.  Tampa can't keep everyone, could they make Adam Erne available?  Jake Virtanen Can't quite make an impact with the Nucks, think they might trade him to us for Nylander and Larsson? 

Potential breakout candidates around the league imho would include but not be limited to, and in no particular order: anders Bjork boston, Daniel Sprong Pitty, Milano and Bjorkstrand from clb, donato boston. Guys that I think are less likely to achieve 50 points but establish themselves as useful nhl players with potential: Ottawa Colin White, Kevin Roy Ana, tolvanen Nsh, Dal Colle Nyi, Dylan strome Ari, ty Rattie stl. there's a ton in this category I could update with more if anyone is interested- same goes for defense.

Our team expecting a good year from Mitts should hit 45-50 pts, while I expect steps from most of our young guys a dark horse for me would be CJ Smith, I could see him having an impact.

I'd say CJ Smith could potentially get 14 goals and 23 assists if he played all 82 games with Buffalo next year. Would be good 3rd line scoring. 

Mittelstadt would be in line to get roughly 14 goals as well unless he starts shooting a lot more. He is technically on pace for 54 assists if he maintained his rate from last year. Note that a sample size of 6 games is weak sauce. 

Alex Nylander, I don't currently believe in. He has too much float in his game and you can't coach that out. Either you attack the puck or you don't. If he comes up and plays all 82 games, 8 goals and 28a. He gets those assists because he is playing with either Eichel or Mittelstadt and they will make him look better then he is. 

I thought OJ was out already anyway.

Back to the topic. Are any of the possible breakout players expendable by their current club?

I keep looking at TB and see they have to re-sign JT Miller this year and then next year Kucherov and Point plus replace 4 aging D including McDonagh. Would they trade Miller or maybe Erne (also a RFA)?

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/07/bucky-gleason-any-chance-nhl-can-hold-expansion-draft-for-buffalo/

As usual Bucky doesn't get it.  I'm rooting for Vegas because of what they accomplished.  Bucky is right about one thing, LV is a bunch of blue collar guys that Buffalo fans would embrace.  

The way McPhee built the Knights is why I started this thread.  Why can't our GMs (DR, TM, Jbot) find those bargain players that aren't being properly utilized by other organizations and just need a chance to show what they could do?  Jbot tried with Baloo and although it hasn't worked out so far, I'm not going to criticize him for trying.  Frankly we need more such attempts. 

Where is our Marchessault or Colin Miller or William Karlsson?

What 3rd liner for some another team can become a top 6 winger for us?  They happen every year.   

If this rebuild is ever going to work we are going to need to find some players that outperform their paycheck beside kids on their ELCs.  

I don't care about blue collar. Almost no hockey player is blue collar. I want good hockey players and I don't get this weird Blue Collar Buffalo mantra that doesn't apply to the city anymore. The biggest companies in Erie County are what? UB, Deleware North maybe, Independent Health, Kaleida Health, Wegmans, Roswell Park, Geico... I mean I guess the ford plant would be blue collar but the rest certainly aren't. What non agricultural manual labor jobs are in Buffalo making it a blue collar city? Hard working city, sure. Blue Collar, not for 20 years. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.