Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

On 2/3/2019 at 3:44 PM, Brawndo said:

Per Saturday Night Headlines the asking price for Tyler Toffoli, Ryan Dzingel and Michael Ferland remains a 1st Round Pick 

Calgary, Winnipeg and Nashville appear to be the team’s most likely to part with theirs 

Also Winnipeg is interested in Kevin Hayes. 

Winnipeg is in an interesting spot. 

They are cemented in "win now" mode and don't have a strong 2C by cup contention standards, and seem to be in the mode of giving up assets each deadline for a rental 2C. Like last year with Stastny. I think it's the right move as they have the talent to win the cup, but I'm not sure how many times they can afford to make that transaction. They'll be up against the cap soon with the contracts they'll need to hand out and have an albatross Bryan Little contract interfering with things. As @Ducky mentioned they could be hoping Roslovic eventually grows into that 2C role, but he may be best suited to the wing. 

You'd think they'd consider a more long term hockey trade for a 2C due to their surplus of quality wingers.

TSN has the Jets' #1 pick listed at No. 5 on the Trade Bait board, I can't imagine they'd be looking to get into the business of dealing that pick every deadline for a temporary 2C.

Even with these things they are in prime position for cup runs this season and the next few. They have the assets to fill the one major hole I see and similar to Toronto their cap issues are of the "good problem to have" variety, for the most part. 

Edited by Thorny

My two proposed trades:

Toffoli and a conditional 4th (4th becomes a 3rd if Beaulieu resigns with LAK or he puts up 15 pts in the remaining games) 

for

Beaulieu and SJS's 1st

Coyle

2019 MIN's 3rd

for 

Nylander

2020 BUF's 2nd

2019 SJS's 4th

With those two trades, and based on today's changes to some degree

Skinner - Eichel - Okposo

Toffoli - Coyle - Reinhart

ERod - Mitts - Sheary

Larsson - Girgs - Thompson

I would say its a cup winner but it should at very least put us in the playoffs and neither player is a rental.

12 hours ago, inkman said:

So you hate Patrick Kaleta?

I know that the board has had discussions about him in the past and I am one of the very few that did not like Kaleta as a hockey player and did not want him on my team.  So, yes, as a hockey player, but off the ice from what I know he is a good guy.

11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

The kind of guy you want to see Marchand lick his face.

Now, Marchand I would take in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

They also have Reimer for two more years at $3.5M. And besides that, I can't imagine being comfortable giving Bobrovsky 8 years with how he's played this season. 

I completely misread his info.  I thought it had him listed as being in the final year.  But anyway, I'd imagine he'd wind up as a part of the package.  I don't know what Columbus has in system, but they'd have to throw someone in net, even if it's a temporary solution in Doug Reimer (and Florida probably eating some of his salary).

14 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

What this tells me is the Florida GM may look to extort the Canucks out of assets to keep Lu from retiring this year. If he retires this season, both teams take a hit but a manageable one. Otherwise Vancouver is ****ed

It's actually the opposite.  The earlier Luongo retires, it's probably better for Vancouver.  Sure they get a longer cap hit, but it's much smaller in amount.  Just picture him retiring in that last year.  It's only a 1 year hit, but at $8 million.  That would certainly railroad any plans they might have at that moment.

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

I completely misread his info.  I thought it had him listed as being in the final year.  But anyway, I'd imagine he'd wind up as a part of the package.  I don't know what Columbus has in system, but they'd have to throw someone in net, even if it's a temporary solution in Doug Reimer (and Florida probably eating some of his salary).

It's actually the opposite.  The earlier Luongo retires, it's probably better for Vancouver.  Sure they get a longer cap hit, but it's much smaller in amount.  Just picture him retiring in that last year.  It's only a 1 year hit, but at $8 million.  That would certainly railroad any plans they might have at that moment.

The weber one is the worst , Nashville could be really *****.

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Weber is now the Captain of Montreal, so Nashville is out from under that contact. I'm not sure if they would be on the hook for cap recapture? I'm not a capologist.

The team that signed the contract originally is on the hook. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The weber one is the worst , Nashville could be really *****.

No you're right.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The team that signed the contract originally is on the hook. 

Thanks.

Would Montreal have any cap recapture issues?

Seems like in the Luongo situation both Van City and the Panthers would have issues.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No you're right.

Thanks.

Would Montreal have any cap recapture issues?

Seems like in the Luongo situation both Van City and the Panthers would have issues.

Nashville is screwed eight ways from Sunday if he retires, Montreal much less so.  This article spells it out: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/the-salary-cap-implications-of-a-shea-weber-early-retirement/ar-AAzKrlW

I'd imagine he uses the Pronger loophole (assuming it remains available) and just rides it out on LTIR under suspicious circumstances when it's time.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I thought cap recapture was based on how much a team benefitted from the cap savings. How many seasons did Weber play in Nashville after signing?

He got 13mil in signing bonus's for the first 4 years on a cap hit of 7.8mil The trade occurred in 2016/2017 season when that bonus dropped to only 8mil. That means they got 6.2million in savings each of his first 4 years or 24.8 million in total. The contract itself is only for 68million. So in 4 years of a 14 year contract, Weber received 36% of his contract. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He got 13mil in signing bonus's for the first 4 years on a cap hit of 7.8mil The trade occurred in 2016/2017 season when that bonus dropped to only 8mil. That means they got 6.2million in savings each of his first 4 years or 24.8 million in total. The contract itself is only for 68million. So in 4 years of a 14 year contract, Weber received 36% of his contract. 

This. Montreal will have very little cap recapture from Weber because by the time they acquired him his actual salary was close to his cap hit. Nashville reaped the lions share of the benefits so they'll get the lions share of the cap recapture if he does retire early.

It likely won't matter though. They'll pull some Chicago type nonsense where Weber will claim some medical condition that means he can't play when he'll really just be allergic to playing for only $1 million per season or whatever his contract pays on the back end.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was just annual salary per year. I didn't realise they did signing bonus shenanigans also.

2 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was just annual salary per year. I didn't realise they did signing bonus shenanigans also.

Technically Nashville didn't do anything but match the offer sheet that Philly gave to Weber. They had no choice but to match it as written or take the 4 1st round pick compensation.

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts

10. Buffalo is like Montreal. The Sabres do not want to use their best assets on rentals. I could see them looking at someone like Carl Hagelin. He’d be a good fit.

Why the hell would we want a LW who doesn't contribute offense and is 30 years old? I will give them nothing for him and also not take him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.