Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

But what I'm asking is important - asking for a young rostered player, a prospect, and a first as reported is significantly different from a first, a second, and a prospect as felt by Lebrun.

The distinction is important because either Botterill is an acceptable or an unacceptable general manager, and I'm serious. If he's pushing to trade ROR for the former then fine. If he pulls the trigger on the latter, and worse, is seeking it, then I firmly believe it's time to fire him because he has no idea what he's doing.

I'm not digging at Lebrun or anything, I need to know if he is speculating or if he has heard that.

The quote came from a larger article focused mostly on the Canadiens search for a centre.

My take on the quote is that no one told Lebrun that directly, but based on what he has been told he believes that is reasonable take.

He did say Montreal attempted to get another first to flip to the Sabres.

I agree with this. I don't want O'Reilly traded at all, but if he is traded before the season starts somebody who will actually lace up skates for Buffalo better be coming back or he's essentially writing off another season and needs to be fired. If that's the toxic environment he wants to welcome Dahlin to the NHL with then Pugsley can go pound sand. I hope he's not that stupid.

The article also stated the Sabres intent is to back fill behind O’Reilly, ie another trade or free agent signing. Edited by dudacek

The quote came from a larger article focused mostly on the Canadiens search for a centre.

My take on the quote is that no one told Lebrun that directly, but based on what he has been told he believes that is reasonable take.

He did say Montreal attempted to get another first to flip to the Sabres.

The article also stated the Sabres intent is to back fill behind O’Reilly, ie another trade or free agent signing.

Well, I didn't see us on the visit list for Tavares so we're going to down grade from O'Reilly if we move him. A 31st place team trading their second best player for futures and downgrades is stupid and I hope he gets fired if he's dumb enough to do it. 

Mike Richards, a very close comparable for ROR, fetched Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn. I expect a similar return or JBOT shout hag up the phone.

Don't forget that both were projects at the time, no one expected Simmonds to work out as well at the time and Schenn didn't have double digit games in the NHL yet. That first they received also included getting Carter in that trade.

But what I'm asking is important - asking for a young rostered player, a prospect, and a first as reported is significantly different from a first, a second, and a prospect as felt by Lebrun. 

The distinction is important because either Botterill is an acceptable or an unacceptable general manager, and I'm serious. If he's pushing to trade ROR for the former then fine. If he pulls the trigger on the latter, and worse, is seeking it, then I firmly believe it's time to fire him because he has no idea what he's doing. 

I'm not digging at Lebrun or anything, I need to know if he is speculating or if he has heard that. 

The way I read what LeBrun wrote, JBOTs pretty much shut up shop once #3 came off the table, and Bergevin then tried to make another deal hoping to then make another offer on O'Riley.  Nowhere in there can it be fairly read that JBOTs was at any point willing to take the second deal, or even considering it.

The way I read what LeBrun wrote, JBOTs pretty much shut up shop once #3 came off the table, and Bergevin then tried to make another deal hoping to then make another offer on O'Riley.  Nowhere in there can it be fairly read that JBOTs was at any point willing to take the second deal, or even considering it.

from what I had read they never mention Montreals 3rd in a deal, only a 1st from the Islanders and the deal was set to go until the Islanders backed out cause they wanted the players that dropped to them that they took. Otherwise this deal makes no sense because the reason Montreal sends Pac to the Isles is so they can send one of their 1st to Buffalo.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this, but most here aren't overrating his trade value with respect to what we think he'll actually return. There's a reason trading him isn't super popular on this board, and it's because his expected trade value doesn't match his on-ice value.

It's not thay we *think* he'll return a massive haul, it's that that's the only way we'd move him.

I think they are overvaluing what they think the Sabres will settle on in a deal for ROR. I think that the big haul they end up accepting is not going to be as big as what fans are valuing what he will get in a trade. Hopefully the intent if they get picks and prospects is then to flip some for NHL ready players instead of stock piling the farm some more

from what I had read they never mention Montreals 3rd in a deal, only a 1st from the Islanders and the deal was set to go until the Islanders backed out cause they wanted the players that dropped to them that they took. Otherwise this deal makes no sense because the reason Montreal sends Pac to the Isles is so they can send one of their 1st to Buffalo.

I think they are overvaluing what they think the Sabres will settle on in a deal for ROR. I think that the big haul they end up accepting is not going to be as big as what fans are valuing what he will get in a trade. Hopefully the intent if they get picks and prospects is then to flip some for NHL ready players instead of stock piling the farm some more

Honestly, I think most people are expecting to dislike the return in an O'Reilly trade. We don't expect to actually get what we personally would require in order to pull the trigger.

Jeremy White saying to stay tuned this afternoon. He's not usually SOURCES guy (though he's had more of it lately) so I'm paying attention.

Jeremy WhiteVerified account @JeremyWGR 1m1 minute ago

[snip]

The sense is that another "cap-clearing" deal might becoming through.

Also

Jeremy WhiteVerified account @JeremyWGR 2m2 minutes ago

That said, my confidence that the ROR deal has already been agreed to is high. One of those things where after it’s done the GMs say “Yeah this goes back a few weeks”. We shall see.

Edited by sabills

But we don't need to clear cap. If we were in on Tavares I would understand that. 

Unless whoever we're getting for RoR is significant. But even then, you'd think the shed of RoR alone would be enough to cover whatever cap is coming in

Edited by WildCard

What if O'Reilly trade has a lot of salary coming back. Multiple players, maybe a really good one? Minnesota?

Possible. I am thinking of St Louis honestly. 

Still nothing official from the #Sabres This is just me speculating, but it makes me wonder......

Edited by Skurk Liger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.