Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Since that trade was on the table, though, something about what he knows is from outer space, apparently. 

And he's clear about "what he knows" - ROR hates Jack and Jack doesn't return the favor. The proof supplied is as follows: 

*fart noise*

:lol: 

Listen, I know we hate Hammy, but I think it might be reasonable to assume that there is more going on with O'Reilly than just what he brings on the ice. 

I've hinted before that we might see trades this off-season that are more about the locker room than anything that looks good on paper. And I think O'Reilly is at the top of the list of candidates for that kind of trade.

That hasn't leaked anywhere else? Seems highly unlikely. More likely he heard teams were reluctant to give up first round picks in this draft. 

There are things that reporters discuss off the record with players that we don't hear about. Stuff discussed between GMs and agents that never leaks. I think there are things that are universally regarded as off-limits by the media and even "sources". 

Listen, I know we hate Hammy, but I think it might be reasonable to assume that there is more going on with O'Reilly than just what he brings on the ice. 

I've hinted before that we might see trades this off-season that are more about the locker room than anything that looks good on paper. And I think O'Reilly is at the top of the list of candidates for that kind of trade.

There are things that reporters discuss off the record with players that we don't hear about. Stuff discussed between GMs and agents that never leaks. I think there are things that are universally regarded as off-limits by the media and even "sources". 

This makes sense, but I'm still going to rip on Hammy, because independent of what he knows that we don't on that matter, it still displays a horrible understanding of hockey value to be utterly floored that ROR might return a pick which historically, on average, turns into nothing. 

This makes sense, but I'm still going to rip on Hammy, because independent of what he knows that we don't on that matter, it still displays a horrible understanding of hockey value to be utterly floored that ROR might return a pick which historically, on average, turns into nothing. 

Right. I'm just playing devil's advocate for Hammy who might not be as wrong as we think he is. 

Was thinking about this last nite. Could be ROR after his Tim Horton’s run in got some help and it resulted in him stepping away from the young crowd. Throw in the fact that he and his wife just had a baby and could be his perspective just changed and real or not that could be perceived as him being judgemental of the younger crowd and less tolerant of their off ice antics. He works hard with talent he has and I like him. But could see him not wanting to put up with Jack’s Boston arrogance. May be better since Housley had his talk to Jack. And I am ok with a little angst in locker room, probably pushes both sides to grow up.

I just think it's interesting that we were "apparently" close to a deal where draft picks were the return... So either Jbot was high on on of the player's available and thought they could contribute immediately; or he thinks we are that far out of contention that were still after futures; or he thinks O'Reilly is part of the problem

Just because one GM says a deal was close, it doesn't mean that the other GM thought it was close.  Now add an additional GM to that equation and it gets even more murky.

I think ROR brings a lot on the ice but if he is traded then I think people will need to re-evaluate what kind of teammate and “leader” he is. It would be the second time in his career he would have been traded with concerns about how he coexisted with the teams star players. If he is the assets Botterill used to upgrade this team I’m all for it.

Paul Hamilton again displaying something about his hockey knowledge: "It's MIND BOGGLING that the Sabres could have received the 11th pick overall in the draft. I didn't think it was possible they could get any pick in the 1st round for him."

Ok I'll bite. Hamilton shows you who he is in every article and radio appearance. He doesn't require much evidence to begin a narrative that he will belabor for months. He also has trouble distinguishing events/facts with his own opinion. I feel for the other on air personnel that have to bite their lips during his segment.

Lebrun s latest on O’Reilly:

My sense of the Buffalo ask right now for O’Reilly is this: a first-round pick, a good prospect and a second-round pick. And they’d like to get it before the market opens Sunday, I think, so they can try to back-fill the void left by O’Reilly.

However, if teams are waiting until July 2, after the Sabres have paid that $7.5 million bonus, to put their best foot forward on O’Reilly, and my sense is there are 3-4 teams waiting on just that (including perhaps Carolina), then the Sabres are warning teams that the price goes up. And they seem serious.

My sense of the Buffalo ask right now for O’Reilly is this: a first-round pick, a good prospect and a second-round pick. And they’d like to get it before the market opens Sunday, I think, so they can try to back-fill the void left by O’Reilly.

However, if teams are waiting until July 2, after the Sabres have paid that $7.5 million bonus, to put their best foot forward on O’Reilly, and my sense is there are 3-4 teams waiting on just that (including perhaps Carolina), then the Sabres are warning teams that the price goes up. And they seem serious.

It would be mightily disheartening to learn that Botterill was viewing the coming season as basically another write-off. The thought of Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen suffering through yet another losing, miserable season, this time with Mittelstadt and Dahlin along for the ride, getting booed off the ice at intermissions by the disappointed fans who had clearly had enough LAST season, is a thought I don't like to ponder. 

This cannot be the case. It's time to start winning hockey games. 

But Thorny, it is the case. Every report and indication says it is; we're in for a longer rebuild than anyone here is thinking or hopes for

Hamilton certainly has been critical of ROR at times but frankly I think fans, and I'm one who wants to keep ROR, have him overrated in what his trade value really is. I feel he's very well apt to be more important on our team than what he's going to fetch in a trade.

Mike Richards, a very close comparable for ROR, fetched Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn. I expect a similar return or JBOT shout hag up the phone.

What is his sense? Wasn't an actual ask reported like 3 days ago? And it was different? Why doesn't he elaborate on what changed it?

Why do we want picks now, not when the draft happened? You'd think that 2nd would have been a 2nd a week ago and a player now, not vice versa.

If it's true Botts is a fool.

Good. I hope the price goes up enough that nobody bites. The Sabres are better off keeping O'Reilly if the return is just picks and prospects. If GMJB trades O'Reilly for futures before the season starts he deserves to be fired. This was the worst team in the league last year and if he trade his second best player for parts that can't even help the team this season then STH's should want his head on a goddamn pike and they'd be right to demand it.

What is his sense? Wasn't an actual ask reported like 3 days ago? And it was different? Why doesn't he elaborate on what changed it?

Why do we want picks now, not when the draft happened? You'd think that 2nd would have been a 2nd a week ago and a player now, not vice versa.

There's reports from guys that said we did want picks both when the draft happened, and now. Considering we traded for a SJ first in 2019, I don't see why this is hard to believe

Hamilton certainly has been critical of ROR at times but frankly I think fans, and I'm one who wants to keep ROR, have him overrated in what his trade value really is. I feel he's very well apt to be more important on our team than what he's going to fetch in a trade.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this, but most here aren't overrating his trade value with respect to what we think he'll actually return. There's a reason trading him isn't super popular on this board, and it's because his expected trade value doesn't match his on-ice value.

It's not thay we *think* he'll return a massive haul, it's that that's the only way we'd move him.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Good. I hope the price goes up enough that nobody bites. The Sabres are better off keeping O'Reilly if the return is just picks and prospects. If GMJB trades O'Reilly for futures before the season starts he deserves to be fired. This was the worst team in the league last year and if he trade his second best player for parts that can't even help the team this season then STH's should want his head on a goddamn pike and they'd be right to demand it.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this, but most here aren't overrating his trade value with respect to what we think he'll actually return. There's a reason trading him isn't super popular on this board, and it's because his expected trade value doesn't match his on-ice value.

It's not thay we *think* he'll return a massive haul, it's that that's the only way we'd move him.

Yeah at this point I really don't want to move him

I think we both said same thing.

What is his sense? Wasn't an actual ask reported like 3 days ago? And it was different? Why doesn't he elaborate on what changed it?Why do we want picks now, not when the draft happened? You'd think that 2nd would have been a 2nd a week ago and a player now, not vice versa.

I think Botterill may be more invested in trading ROR than he’s let on.

Exactly. I need to be wow'd to trade him. For example, I will take Paryako, Kyrou, and a 1st for ROR. Is that an overpayment, maybe but I need something that makes me actually want to do it. 

If he is then I'm thinking it's a problem not related to his on ice performance and I'm in no position to know those possible reasons.

Ok I'll bite. Hamilton shows you who he is in every article and radio appearance. He doesn't require much evidence to begin a narrative that he will belabor for months. He also has trouble distinguishing events/facts with his own opinion. I feel for the other on air personnel that have to bite their lips during his segment.

+1

I stopped listening to Pham several years ago.

Not only does the guy have an agenda, he is generally ill-informed

As for ROR, I doubt he has a bad rep within the league, he wouldn't be a Team Canada regular if that were the case

But what I'm asking is important - asking for a young rostered player, a prospect, and a first as reported is significantly different from a first, a second, and a prospect as felt by Lebrun. 

The distinction is important because either Botterill is an acceptable or an unacceptable general manager, and I'm serious. If he's pushing to trade ROR for the former then fine. If he pulls the trigger on the latter, and worse, is seeking it, then I firmly believe it's time to fire him because he has no idea what he's doing. 

I'm not digging at Lebrun or anything, I need to know if he is speculating or if he has heard that. 

But what I'm asking is important - asking for a young rostered player, a prospect, and a first as reported is significantly different from a first, a second, and a prospect as felt by Lebrun. 

The distinction is important because either Botterill is an acceptable or an unacceptable general manager, and I'm serious. If he's pushing to trade ROR for the former then fine. If he pulls the trigger on the latter, and worse, is seeking it, then I firmly believe it's time to fire him because he has no idea what he's doing. 

I'm not digging at Lebrun or anything, I need to know if he is speculating or if he has heard that. 

I agree with this. I don't want O'Reilly traded at all, but if he is traded before the season starts somebody who will actually lace up skates for Buffalo better be coming back or he's essentially writing off another season and needs to be fired. If that's the toxic environment he wants to welcome Dahlin to the NHL with then Pugsley can go pound sand. I hope he's not that stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.