Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I am confusion. Really?

I'm asking.

Maybe I'm too influenced by the NFL, where it seems like you could have a 4th year RB who just went for 1500 total yards, but you can only get like a conditional 4th rounder for him.

Yeah, NFL is different. Top 5/10 picks are gold, and players get nothing. In the NHL those established players are worth the real investment, and picks RAPIDLY drop off in value.

Trade value for the 3rd overall pick is probably around ROR, but if you look at the last 20 players taken at 3rd, I would only argue that 4 of them became better players than ROR is right now, so I think it'd be a dumb trade to make, especially in a draft where, instead of talent like Marner/one of Jones/Drouin/Barkov being available at that spot, nobody has any idea who will or should go 3rd. 

Trade value for the 3rd overall pick is probably around ROR, but if you look at the last 20 players taken at 3rd, I would only argue that 4 of them became better players than ROR is right now, so I think it'd be a dumb trade to make, especially in a draft where, instead of talent like Marner/one of Jones/Drouin/Barkov being available at that spot, nobody has any idea who will or should go 3rd. 

I thought Zadina was basically the consensus no?  I thought the only reason it may not be is because Bergevin.

Oliver Wahlstrom.  :flirt:

But you are right. Anyone going 3rd could be a lesser player than ROR. I would hesitate to trade for just the 3rd overall pick. 

Actually there is some rumblings that Zadina will go in the 4-6 range. 

But is that because he isn't the 3rd best talent or because Montreal is so devoid in centremen that their specific team will take the C?  Around the draft lottery I thought it was pretty consensus who was going 1, 2 and 3.

I am confusion. Really?

I'm asking.

Maybe I'm too influenced by the NFL, where it seems like you could have a 4th year RB who just went for 1500 total yards, but you can only get like a conditional 4th rounder for him.

You are not confusion.

I will guarantee that if ROR is traded, the return is less than the #3 pick.

From LeBrun

From making some calls around the league, here are some teams that I’m told have shown interest in the 27-year-old O’Reilly:

Montreal Canadiens: Well, duh. Given that Tavares seems like a long shot for the center-starved Habs, O’Reilly makes so much sense. And believe me, they’ve talked to Buffalo. Pending UFA Paul Stastny would also make sense for them. Neither O’Reilly nor Stastny are No. 1 centers in my book, but both are quality No. 2s and frankly, the Canadiens can use any upgrade at that position, period. Here’s where it gets tricky. My belief is that the Sabres would want Montreal’s No. 3 overall pick in Friday night’s first round as part of the deal for O’Reilly. Pretty sure that’s not something Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin would want to do. He does have four second-round picks, however. Can he put together a package for O’Reilly that involves other assets that the Sabres could live with? Montreal also has a ton of cap space. Could Bergevin use that as a tool in this deal, perhaps offer to take Matt Moulson and the remaining $3 million in salary ($5 million cap hit) off the Sabres’ books? Not to mention be willing to pay O’Reilly’s July 1 signing bonus? I would note here that the Sabres aren’t making Moulson any kind of stipulation, they have deep pockets. I think the priority for Sabres GM Jason Botterill, with ownership backing, is getting the best possible return for O’Reilly and not worry about the money. Still, if you’re Bergevin, I would throw that carrot out there.

Carolina Hurricanes: No way the Hurricanes trade the No. 2 overall pick in an O’Reilly deal, so that’s off the table, but Carolina absolutely has had talks with the Sabres about the center. There are certainly some young players on the Carolina roster that would fit the mold of what the Sabres are looking for. Could they try for defenseman Noah Hanifin (RFA) or forward Elias Lindhom (RFA) if the Hurricanes believe they can’t sign one of them? Or do the Sabres dig deeper in Carolina’s prospect pool? One thing’s for sure, if talks evolve more meaningfully between these two teams on O’Reilly, budget-conscious Carolina would definitely want the Sabres to pick up that $7.5 million signing bonus, so any trade would have to wait until July 2, I think.

St. Louis Blues: Makes sense that the Blues would have at least inquired on O’Reilly — and I believe they have — in order to fill the spot Stastny’s late-season trade created. What I’m hearing is that Blues GM Doug Armstrong is willing to move the first-round pick he got from Winnipeg for Stastny, which sits at No. 29 overall. But the Sabres would need more than that, obviously. The Blues have some enticing prospects. There’s potential here for a deal. Now, no question the Blues’ No. 1 target would be pending UFA center Tavares, but again, who knows if he indeed hits the market or if the Blues can beat out the massive competition. So it makes sense to be looking at other options, and O’Reilly is a good one.

Philadelphia Flyers: The Flyers have two first-round picks Friday, 14 overall (from the Blues) and 19 overall (their own). That could be part of a deal, or one of the picks anyway, to entice the Sabres, but I suspect what really has Buffalo intrigued by Philly is their very deep pool of young players throughout their organization. No surprise that Flyers GM Ron Hextall might be looking at O’Reilly, he would fit the type of guy that organization wants.

And again, it’s worth pointing out that, if nobody steps up to the level the Sabres feel is worth a trade for O’Reilly, Buffalo is fine having him at training camp. There’s no gun to their head on this one. He’s available but the Sabres aren’t desperate to trade him.

From Pierre LeBrun, today in the Athletic:

But the discussions with the Sabres continue and have picked up steam.

From making some calls around the league, here are some teams that I’m told have shown interest in the 27-year-old O’Reilly:

Montreal Canadiens:  My belief is that the Sabres would want Montreal’s No. 3 overall pick in Friday night’s first round as part of the deal for O’Reilly. Pretty sure that’s not something Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin would want to do.

Carolina Hurricanes: No way the Hurricanes trade the No. 2 overall pick in an O’Reilly deal, so that’s off the table,

St. Louis Blues:  What I’m hearing is that Blues GM Doug Armstrong is willing to move the first-round pick he got from Winnipeg for Stastny, which sits at No. 29 overall. But the Sabres would need more than that, obviously.

Philadelphia Flyers: The Flyers have two first-round picks Friday, 14 overall (from the Blues) and 19 overall (their own). That could be part of a deal, or one of the picks anyway, to entice the Sabres, but I suspect what really has Buffalo intrigued by Philly is their very deep pool of young players throughout their organization.

And again, it’s worth pointing out that, if nobody steps up to the level the Sabres feel is worth a trade for O’Reilly, Buffalo is fine having him at training camp. There’s no gun to their head on this one. He’s available but the Sabres aren’t desperate to trade him.

I mentioned this on hf and got decimated, I guess everyone knows how quietly good he is :lol:

Rakell is very underrated and Risto IMO overrated. Id make that deal in a second

Do not trade O'Reilly for draft picks.

Agree completely. Sabres need players that can help win now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.