TSN: Sabres 2018 Game Plan

WildCard

Would anyone be interested in taking a flyer on Brandon Saad, had his worst year of his career last year but is still younger than ROR and can play LW. Plus he has 2 cup rings. 

I did Bailey and Beaulieu for Saad since we take on 3x6mil but I'm really unsure of his value at this time.

Would anyone be interested in taking a flyer on Brandon Saad, had his worst year of his career last year but is still younger than ROR and can play LW. Plus he has 2 cup rings.

I did Bailey and Beaulieu for Saad since we take on 3x6mil but I'm really unsure of his value at this time.

Besides cap relief, why would Chicago make this deal? They gave up Panarin to get him back. Why would they want two AAAA players who can’t even make the worst team in the NHL? Chicago needs to get some cap relief and to rebuild their defense, but trading us one of their top 6 forwards for junk isn’t going to accomplish that. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Besides cap relief, why would Chicago make this deal? They gave up Panarin to get him back. Why would they want two AAAA forwards who can’t even make the worst team in the NHL? Chicago needs to get some cap relief and to rebuild their defense, but trading us one of their top 6 forwards for junk isn’t going to accomplish that.

...Nylander + 32nd?

Maybe they take a flyer on Nylander as a young skilled forward to slot into their line up

...Nylander + 32nd?

Maybe they take a flyer on Nylander as a young skilled forward to slot into their line up

No, now you are giving to much.

McCabe and Nylander could get it down if they were interested in trading Saad, which they probably aren’t.

I went and read 3 Hawks off-season game plan articles, and none say trade Saad. Trade Anisimov. Trade Seabrook or Hossa’s contract. Most still think this group has another Cup run in them.

I wonder if Vesey is regretting his decision to sign with the Rangers. The guys has basically been the same each of his two NHL seasons, 17g 11a. He’s an RFA. I wonder if the Rags might be willing to trade him now that they are in rebuild mode. Girgensons and a 4th feels about right. Maybe a 2019 2nd and Fasching.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Brodin's a guy that costs a big piece, not a bunch of crap. 

I wouldn't say Nylander, McCabe, and a 2019 2nd are crap, and neither is the cap space.

We may be down on Nylander but he was the 8th overall pick 2 years ago and his value is still high to some teams I'd imagine based on his bloodline alone.

Plus I based it off a trade I saw elsewhere just with Spurgeon instead of Brodin. 

Why do I want Jonas Brodin? Serious question. We have more LHD than I can shake a stick at. From what is now being said Dahlin might play on his natural side as well. 

Dahlin

Pilut

Scandella

Guhle

McCabe

I we move Dahlin to right we still have 4 guys that all have or are second pairing or better players. Scandella we know. McCabe we know. Guhle looking great. Pilut just lit up the SHL and has a lot of potential. There just isn't a big need to trade for Brodin especially when it will involve multiple pieces. I am willing to give Nylander 1 more year to figure it out. Between the Cal O'Reilly and the groin injury, I think he is poised to either boom or bust this season. I am not a big fan of trading McCabe (who i like) and a 2nd round pick simply because we need all of that to build depth. 

I wouldn't say Nylander, McCabe, and a 2019 2nd are crap, and neither is the cap space.

We may be down on Nylander but he was the 8th overall pick 2 years ago and his value is still high to some teams I'd imagine based on his bloodline alone.

Plus I based it off a trade I saw elsewhere just with Spurgeon instead of Brodin.

Nylander is a bad prospect, McCabe is a bad player, and a 2nd has like a 10% chance of playing a full NHL season. Brodin is a legit 3D and a 2D on many teams, and would cost Reinhart + something notable, or ROR, or something of that nature.

Nylander is a bad prospect, McCabe is a bad player, and a 2nd has like a 10% chance of playing a full NHL season. Brodin is a legit 3D and a 2D on many teams, and would cost Reinhart + something notable, or ROR, or something of that nature.

Well if that is the price, hard pass. Actually, f##k no. 

Well if that is the price, hard pass. Actually, f##k no. 

You seem shocked that a hockey trade would require hockey pieces.

They'd probably have to add a bit if they were getting ROR. Maybe a second and a meh prospect. 

But yeah, it generally hurts if you're asking for a core piece on another team

Brodin actually had a pretty bad year this year, but they're as likely to sell low on him as we are to sell low on any core piece with a bad season, which is not likely

If they want ROR they are going to have to add a 2nd and Jordan Greenway to Brodin to keep me from laughing and hanging up. This has to do with the fact I am not high on Brodin as others seems to be. I might actually ask for a 1st, Greenway and Brodin for ROR. 

Basically a #2 60pt center is more important to me and my team than a #3 defender that plays the left side where I have another 5 players already fighting for spots. I guess Brodin is Swedish so he's got that going for him. 

If they want ROR they are going to have to add a 2nd and Jordan Greenway to Brodin to keep me from laughing and hanging up. This has to do with the fact I am not high on Brodin as others seems to be. I might actually ask for a 1st, Greenway and Brodin for ROR. 

Basically a #2 60pt center is more important to me and my team than a #3 defender that plays the left side where I have another 5 players already fighting for spots. I guess Brodin is Swedish so he's got that going for him. 

I agree that I would ask for something like that, but they feel the same way about their guy. It's why the "trade speculation" forum on hfboards is as nasty as it is. 

Brodin isn't a 2D on any team we want to be. I'd even argue he's not a 3 on a good team (he can skate on my 2nd pair any day, but if he's the best player on that pair, that's less than ideal). He has high defensive value, but he brings literally nothing else.

Montreal Fans are suggesting Pacioretty and a 2nd for ROR, not happening

Sign me up for Patches and a draft pick. Assuming, of course, that draft pick is their #3 overall.

Brodin isn't a 2D on any team we want to be. I'd even argue he's not a 3 on a good team (he can skate on my 2nd pair any day, but if he's the best player on that pair, that's less than ideal). He has high defensive value, but he brings literally nothing else.

He's been a 3 on a good Minnesota team for a while, as Dumba only broke out this season, and he's better than Scandella. 

I'd like to be better than Minnesota.

Can you imagine some of those Minnesota teams with a Jack Eichel up front of what they had, and Casey Mittelstadt heading into the start of his career? 

And they were still not-being-in-Chicago's-division away from a couple Western Conference Finals IMO. 

I have no interest in bringing in Brodin, but his placement on their D roster when their D has been one of the best of the last 7-8 years is not why they've not gotten over the hump, it's the only thing that kept them winning playoff games rather than being the 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

He's been a 3 on a good Minnesota team for a while, as Dumba only broke out this season, and he's better than Scandella.

I’d say he’s a 3/4 and around equal to Scandella to be honest. Borodin is a great dman but brings very little outside of dzone play whereas Scandella is a bit more well rounded.

Hence my offer, I’m looking for him more to be Dahlin or Risto’s defensively minded partner. He’s a better Pysyk

I’d say he’s a 3/4 and around equal to Scandella to be honest. Borodin is a great dman but brings very little outside of dzone play whereas Scandella is a bit more well rounded.

Hence my offer, I’m looking for him more to be Dahlin or Risto’s defensively minded partner. He’s a better Pysyk

They are virtually identical offensively, and Brodin is slightly better at defense. I have no reason to believe we wouldn't think just the opposite had we traded for Brodin rather than Scandella last summer, because that's what we fans do. 

But we didn't, because the price was higher for Brodin than it was for Scandella.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.