Goaltending and the Sabres: Big Problem

LGR4GM

We allowed the most goals (280) since 1992/93 (292). Our goaltending was atrocious this season. It is a major problem and I don't believe it was all the defenses fault. Lehner and Johnson were garbage at times. I guess we finally reached goalie hell.

So who do you want back? Is Ullmark ready (the AHL playoffs made me doubtful)? Is there someone in UFA that we could get? 

We allowed the most goals (280) since 1992/93 (292). Our goaltending was atrocious this season. It is a major problem and I don't believe it was all the defenses fault. Lehner and Johnson were garbage at times. I guess we finally reached goalie hell.

So who do you want back? Is Ullmark ready (the AHL playoffs made me doubtful)? Is there someone in UFA that we could get?

Haven't really seen who's available this offseason. Finding a way to snag one half of the Caps tandem would probably be the best available upgrade; but doubt they want to lose bodies to upgrade between the pipes. Still believe their hope was that Ullmark & Johnson would be good enough & that's why Ullmark was brought up for the last 9 games - to see if that tandem would be good enough while Linus acclimated to the NHL next season.

Between concussions & a baby blowing up the end-of-season plan, Johnson being horrible at the end, & Linus being horrible in the playoffs; there's no way to expect them not bringing in a vet from outside the organization. Ullmark will be given a shot to win the job, but expect that the new guy will win the job out of the gate.

Does Ullmark's performance make them think twice about walking from Lehner?

I'm not advocating for it, I just wonder if they are now considering if they'd be better of with Lehner and a new face who will actually compete with him than with the current plan, which seems to be Ullmark and a really good mentoring backup.

Haven't really seen who's available this offseason. Finding a way to snag one half of the Caps tandem would probably be the best available upgrade; but doubt they want to lose bodies to upgrade between the pipes. Still believe their hope was that Ullmark & Johnson would be good enough & that's why Ullmark was brought up for the last 9 games - to see if that tandem would be good enough while Linus acclimated to the NHL next season.

Between concussions & a baby blowing up the end-of-season plan, Johnson being horrible at the end, & Linus being horrible in the playoffs; there's no way to expect them not bringing in a vet from outside the organization. Ullmark will be given a shot to win the job, but expect that the new guy will win the job out of the gate.

I wonder if the Caps would be looking to move Holtby as a cap dump as a way to free up space to retain Carlson. I'd much rather just add Carlson than helping the Caps retain him, of course, but if they're going to find a way to retain him anyway, I wouldn't hate having Holtby to lean on while Ullmark continues to develop.

I'm not advocating for it, I just wonder if they are now considering if they'd be better of with Lehner and a new face who will actually compete with him than with the current plan, which seems to be Ullmark and a really good mentoring backup.

I sure hope not. It was three games. Three atrocious games, yes, but still only three. For a goalie, no less. If this enters Botterill's thought process, then he's not as sharp as I'm hoping he is.

I wonder if the Caps would be looking to move Holtby as a cap dump as a way to free up space to retain Carlson. I'd much rather just add Carlson than helping the Caps retain him, of course, but if they're going to find a way to retain him anyway, I wouldn't hate having Holtby to lean on while Ullmark continues to develop.

I sure hope not. It was three games. Three atrocious games, yes, but still only three. For a goalie, no less. If this enters Botterill's thought process, then he's not as sharp as I'm hoping he is.

They're not keeping both him and Grubauer, that's for sure.

I don't think the Amerks playoffs woes are going to change the course much. Lehner is out and Ullmark is in. They just aren't going to qualify Lehner. Too expensive.

I want to run from Lehner.

278 this season and 297 in 92-93.. sorry to be that guy.

As doubtful as the AHL playoffs made you, be equally as hopeful that his nhl stats this season were .935 2.00GAA. Both small samples, don't read too much into either.

Debating wether it's the defense or goalie is very similar to the NYI this season. Most GF and GA. Now Halak and Greiss is no surefire combo, their defense played very weak, often. So is it the chicken or the egg that came first?

If I was GM, I'd take a long look at our roster, seeing all of the issues, I'd probably make defence my 1st priority. Not saying we don't need a goaltending upgrade, but acquiring one would cost us assets we can't afford to move for a goalie (unless we traded a goalie for goalie?). The point I'm trying to make is, undoubtedly glaring holes on the blue line, if those get filled is Ullmark Lehner a good enough tandem to get us into the playoffs?

Trying to stay on topic but I keep getting into out other issues and erasing it haha. I'd put the goaltending on the back burner, if we have time and assets to address it, then fantastic. If not, we had better address our defensive and scoring issues to a T.

Edited by LikeEich

It’s not the three games, it’s how he majorly dumped in such a big moment - three consecutive games, after a second half that was inferior to his first. It’s not enough to sour anyone on him as a prospect, but if you were on the fence with him as your starter, it might push you off.

278 this season and 297 in 92-93.. sorry to be that guy.

As doubtful as the AHL playoffs made you, be equally as hopeful that his nhl stats this season were .935 2.00GAA. Both small samples, don't read too much into either.

Debating wether it's the defense or goalie is very similar to the NYI this season. Most GF and GA. Now Halak and Greiss is no surefire combo, their defense played very weak, often. So is it the chicken or the egg that came first?

If I was GM, I'd take a long look at our roster, seeing all of the issues, I'd probably make defence my 1st priority. Not saying we don't need a goaltending upgrade, but acquiring one would cost us assets we can't afford to move for a goalie (unless we traded a goalie for goalie?). The point I'm trying to make is, undoubtedly glaring holes on the blue line, if those get filled is Ullmark Lehner a good enough tandem to get us into the playoffs?

Trying to stay on topic but I keep getting into out other issues and erasing it haha. I'd put the goaltending on the back burner, if we have time and assets to address it, then fantastic. If not, we had better address our defensive and scoring issues to a T.

There is literally only one goalie under contract for next season. The two FA's are bad. Another one is going to have to come from somewhere.

There is literally only one goalie under contract for next season. The two FA's are bad. Another one is going to have to come from somewhere.

If be very surprised and disappointed if buffalo let Lehner walk without tendering a qualifying offer. Would show terrible asset management. We will retain he rights and most likely sign him. So I really stick to what I said

If be very surprised and disappointed if buffalo let Lehner walk without tendering a qualifying offer. Would show terrible asset management. We will retain he rights and most likely sign him. So I really stick to what I said

We're going to have to agree to disagree, but the worst case scenario is Lehner signing a qualifying offer. You'll get something comparable, if not better, cheaper on the UFA market. And Flagg might be right, something out of left field is also a possibility.

I seriously doubt Lehner winds up anywhere near an NHL roster next year. But I suppose we shall see.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, but the worst case scenario is Lehner signing a qualifying offer. You'll get something comparable, if not better, cheaper on the UFA market. And Flagg might be right, something out of left field is also a possibility.

I seriously doubt Lehner winds up anywhere near an NHL roster next year. But I suppose we shall see.

He'll be in the NHL. But will be surprised if he doesn't take at least a 30% pay cut.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.