NHL Playoff bracket challenge

North Buffalo

For SwampD:

This is actually quite anticlimactic. Here is the shot-based bracket:

Possession.jpg

Here is the goal-differential-based bracket:

goal.jpg

They aren't very different and both seem plausible.

Also, random note - Winnipeg has been truly dominant this year. There was a 3 game stretch where their offensive zone time with possession was about 25 minutes, compared to 6 total for their opponents over those 3 games.

Are you using score-adjusted Corsi, or regular?

Are you using score-adjusted Corsi, or regular?

To be honest I used scoring chances for because, while Corsi against is a better predictor of shots against, scoring chances for does slightly better at future goals, so I flipped a coin between those two since each gather thousands of events throughout the season, when the main point of doing the bracket came from a discussion broadly about sample size noise which makes goals relatively unreliable as a prediction metric.

Plus Corsica was lagging, Natural Stat Trick wasn't, and Corsica is the place with adjusted Corsi I believe right?

To be honest I used scoring chances for because, while Corsi against is a better predictor of shots against, scoring chances for does slightly better at future goals, so I flipped a coin between those two since each gather thousands of events throughout the season, when the main point of doing the bracket came from a discussion broadly about sample size noise which makes goals relatively unreliable as a prediction metric.

Plus Corsica was lagging, Natural Stat Trick wasn't, and Corsica is the place with adjusted Corsi I believe right?

Fair enough, was just curious. Re: Corsica....when isn't that site lagging? I love the information there, but hot damn is it a mess performance-wise.

Nashville in 5

Winnipeg in 7

LA in 7

SJ in 6

TB in 5

Boston in 7

Columbus in 7

Pittsburgh in 4

Nashville in 6

LA in 6

TB in 6

Columbus in 6

Nashville in 7

TB in 6

Nashville in 7

Probably screwed. Favorites only go 4-4 at best in the 1st round.

Son of a,…

I just realized I predicted 4 goals would be scored in the final.

Was supposed to be 42.

attachicon.gifSwampD Bracket 2018.png

I was totally going to point this out to you, but then realized since I could see other peoples' brackets that meant there was no changing them at this point, and then my millennial 5 second attention span took me elsewhere

Kane with 2 goals in playoff debut

I was totally going to point this out to you, but then realized since I could see other peoples' brackets that meant there was no changing them at this point, and then my millennial 5 second attention span took me elsewhere

It was called hyper child when I was young then ADD, whatever label you guys wants is probably fine.

My bracket would have looked a heck of a lot better if Toronto had won. And I honestly don't remember picking Anaheim. I don't think it was an accident, I just have no idea what my reasoning was. I'm in a bracket contest with my family, and I always make them identical, and in that one I picked San Jose. *shrug*

My bracket would have looked a heck of a lot better if Toronto had won. And I honestly don't remember picking Anaheim. I don't think it was an accident, I just have no idea what my reasoning was. I'm in a bracket contest with my family, and I always make them identical, and in that one I picked San Jose. *shrug*

Anaheim was really hot coming into the playoffs. Plus SJ was without Thornton I believe.

Or I'm just making excuses because I picked them and the Kings

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.