Eichel & the "Fix" for '18-'19 Season

Bluto

I don't want to trade him though. He's a point per game player on the lowest scoring team in the league that gives up close to the most goals against in the league. He's certainly not where I would be looking to make a change. But my god is the rest of this team just not getting it done. 

And there's an argument to be made for the futility of having a star player and nothing else. 

Edited by darksabre

It seems that this thread was just some kind of drive by random thing by a rookie around here.  

So, if it is a legit proposal and some thing else ...

After management decided to stick it to the fans and be absolutely terrible for 2+ years that has turned into 5+ and counting, if they trade the player that was the direct result of all that then they should anticipate rioting in the streets and the burning down of the arena.

That's all.

It seems that this thread was just some kind of drive by random thing by a rookie around here.  

So, if it is a legit proposal and some thing else ...

After management decided to stick it to the fans and be absolutely terrible for 2+ years that has turned into 5+ and counting, if they trade the player that was the direct result of all that then they should anticipate rioting in the streets and the burning down of the arena.

That's all.

For my part, if they trade Eichel I won't riot in the street, I will calmly and cooly become a fan of whatever team he goes to.

Except the Leafs, **** the Leafs.

If Lindros can get traded and the return be greater than the sum of what moved out, then the same is possible with Jack. There are very, very few scenarios whete that would work to our benefit, but I’m not making Jack untouchable because the possibility is there. The kind of trade that would need to happen is a trade that fundamentally changes the makeup of the team, in n multiple portions of the lineup.

There hasn’t been a blockbustet trade in many seasons, so does that mean there is no likelihood of a monster deal out there, or does it mean the league is due?

Jack ain’t a god. I don’t need him on ththe roster if the right mega deal is out there.

For my part, if they trade Eichel I won't riot in the street, I will calmly and cooly become a fan of whatever team he goes to.

Except the Leafs, **** the Leafs.

You must like Jack more than I do. He's good, but he's just another pro athlete to me.

If Lindros can get traded and the return be greater than the sum of what moved out, then the same is possible with Jack. There are very, very few scenarios whete that would work to our benefit, but I’m not making Jack untouchable because the possibility is there. The kind of trade that would need to happen is a trade that fundamentally changes the makeup of the team, in n multiple portions of the lineup.

There hasn’t been a blockbustet trade in many seasons, so does that mean there is no likelihood of a monster deal out there, or does it mean the league is due?

Jack ain’t a god. I don’t need him on ththe roster if the right mega deal is out there.

Word.

Right. It's about getting the right mix of guys around Jack and filling out the bottom of the roster. As things sit, we're in bad shape. We have Reinhart who seems to have chemistry with both Eichel and O'Reilly, which is wonderful. But he can't be on two lines at one time. So we need more guys who gel with Jack. Which is going to take time and some trial and error. Jack is good, but he'll be really special if we can ever get him with the right guys. Kinda like how Kane is a perfect fit for San Jose. He was good here, but he's perfect there.

There have to be some guys who are a perfect fit for Jack.

The question is, does it ever happen while he's a Sabre?

Once we find out where we're drafting and what Mittelstadt does we should be able to hash out a quality top 6 between Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Okposo, and whomever we draft with our first rounder. They could base the pairing on relative speed by putting the faster guys together (Eichel, Mittelstadt, and the first rounder on one line with O'Reilly, Reinhart, and Okposo on the other) or they could put mix it up and put fast guys on both lines to try to improve the pace and see how it goes.

I really do. He is the only good thing about this team to me. Part of me wants him to be traded so he can have teammates who are worth a damn.

His style of play annoys me which is why I struggle to get to that level of enjoyment with him where I would be super pissed if he was traded. There are guys out there in the league who I love to watch. I don't really enjoy Eichel very much, despite his point production. 

His style of play annoys me which is why I struggle to get to that level of enjoyment with him where I would be super pissed if he was traded. There are guys out there in the league who I love to watch. I don't really enjoy Eichel very much, despite his point production. 

Again, I've barely watched this year so maybe something has changed, but him smoothly skating down the wing with the puck is so pretty I've watched. And him ripping shots from the circle is great, too.

Again, I've barely watched this year so maybe something has changed, but him smoothly skating down the wing with the puck is so pretty I've watched. And him ripping shots from the circle is great, too.

He doesn't shoot nearly enough from the slot for my tastes. He makes the moves to get there, but then doesn't generate anything. He's always looking for a perfect shot or something. Which is frustrating. He's talented enough to just get it on net for rebound ops, but he doesn't do it. It always seems like his linemates are looking for those rebound ops. 

He also still has a habit of making soft plays at bad times. Situations where he should be bearing down on the puck to make goddamn sure it clears the defensive zone, or stays in deep in the o-zone to extend zone time. For someone who guarantees that we can even get into the o-zone, and then drives a lot of the possession there, he needs to be doing more to make sure that time spent is resulting in a scoring chance. Because a lot of times it just results in a seemingly avoidable turnover. 

I still think his stick is too long. 

Wow that’s a statement. Completely agree with his lack of shooting. He has a top 5 shot in the nhl IMO. He needs to shoot more. But damn I’ve had so much fun watching. Since his return I’ve only turned the game on to watch him.

As others have said I’m in the he’s not untouchable but would have to be a huge haul to trade camp.

We already got rid of Kane. We've wanted to trade Samson and O'Reilly. Now, the answer is trading our best player to get better. All this after being told we had to lose in order to win.

We truly are in the Upside Downside.

Edited by SwampD

We already got rid of Kane. We've wanted to trade Samson and O'Reilly. Now, the answer is trading our best player to get better. All this after being told we had to lose in order to win.

We truly are in the Upside Downside.

I blame Eleven.

Wow that’s a statement. Completely agree with his lack of shooting. He has a top 5 shot in the nhl IMO. He needs to shoot more. But damn I’ve had so much fun watching. Since his return I’ve only turned the game on to watch him.

As others have said I’m in the he’s not untouchable but would have to be a huge haul to trade camp.

I find myself saying "no don't do that" out loud a lot when I watch Jack. He makes puzzling choices. I don't know if he's just trying to do too much or what, but I wish he'd simplify things a bit sometimes.

I've been thinking about this. Is he so good people go to the arena to see him? Is there a Perreault hush or sense of excitement when he has the puck? Will kids say they saw him play?

For the record, these thoughts are much more an indictment of the state of the game and the state of the Sabres than of Eichel.

I've been thinking about this. Is he so good people go to the arena to see him? Is there a Perreault hush or sense of excitement when he has the puck? Will kids say they saw him play?

For the record, these thoughts are much more an indictment of the state of the game and the state of the Sabres than of Eichel.

Eichel would be a lot more fun to watch in 2006.

I was thinking the same thing reading through the posts. Forsberg alone was arguably better than Lindros, but I doubt there is a deal like that out there. Who would want him for that deal? Maybe Boston, but they're not going to give us McAvoy or anyone big, just picks and 3rd liners, Ranger maybe? Just going to be picks. Don't see it happening. If it was a Seguin type return it would be a huge mistake for us. Nope, he's our guy, like it or you'd best find a new team to save yourself the anguish.

Don't lose hope though, if we finally win a lottery and get Dahlin, maybe add a couple solid FAs, bring in Casey next season or the one after, this team could still be good. Eventually. 

I don't think so.  We didn't get the generational player that causes those fan reactions.  Those that do go just to see him..... I think the standards for what makes a Sabre worth going to the arena to see, regardless of the team, has dropped if Eichel is that guy.  He certainly doesn't excite the way 11 did.  And I don't think he excites the way 16 did either.

I don't think so. We didn't get the generational player that causes those fan reactions. Those that do go just to see him..... I think the standards for what makes a Sabre worth going to the arena to see, regardless of the team, has dropped if Eichel is that guy. He certainly doesn't excite the way 11 did. And I don't think he excites the way 16 did either.

I agree.

I agree.

Yup.

I don't think so.  We didn't get the generational player that causes those fan reactions.  Those that do go just to see him..... I think the standards for what makes a Sabre worth going to the arena to see, regardless of the team, has dropped if Eichel is that guy.  He certainly doesn't excite the way 11 did.  And I don't think he excites the way 16 did either.

Or, 39, up until he quite on the team.  Maybe even 89.  I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

now if only Eichel had Robert and Martin on his wings or maybe Mogliny and Anderchuck?  He is stuck with Pouliot and Pommenville.

now if only Eichel had Robert and Martin on his wings or maybe Mogliny and Anderchuck?  He is stuck with Pouliot and Pommenville.

I think that 11 was very exciting before he had Martin and Robert on his wings.  Patty was very exciting, but when he was teamed up with 89 it was magical that one year.

Man, that's one way to do it. Butcher the spelling enough so that the filter doesn't even change it.

:w00t:

You noticed that too, eh?

I think that 11 was very exciting before he had Martin and Robert on his wings.  Patty was very exciting, but when he was teamed up with 89 it was magical that one year.

:w00t:

You noticed that too, eh?

believe me, 11 is the reason why I'm a Sabres fan living near Toronto. Jack is just as exciting, he just doesn't have the line-mates and doesnt get to shoot against 5'8 goalies with very little padding. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.