Eichel & the "Fix" for '18-'19 Season

Bluto

Trade the kid!  He can't make this team any better with a few new players around him next season.  He IS NOT that guy!

Just do it, cut bait and begin the 'start over' process. 

People are calling me a ROOKIE on here - - I don't post much on web sites! 

I'm really not a "rookie" at all.  I followed the Buffalo Bison's of the AHL in the 50's & 60's and went to the first Sabres game vs. Montreal in 1970.  If I'm a rookie - I'm an old rookie.  Jack is NOT the guy to build around.   He's the best we have right now - but - -watch him give up on so many plays and dog-it regularly.  Maybe some of the problem comes from him - maybe?  Don't trade him for draft picks - - get a few SOLID NHL players and dump the fakers on the roster.  GO SABRES!

Edited by Bluto

It's not crazy. But what we have to do as fans is overrate and justify. It's how we got to Miller as "elite." Jack's fine. He's probably a top line center on a Cup team, but he's not generational. I don't see how the Sabres can possibly put enough around him.

Tell me the return.

It's not crazy. But what we have to do as fans is overrate and justify. It's how we got to Miller as "elite." Jack's fine. He's probably a top line center on a Cup team, but he's not generational. I don't see how the Sabres can possibly put enough around him.

Tell me the return.

There is no return that a team would actually give up that could be worth it. It just doesn't exist. Every draft pick, every prospect you get is hoping one of those guys turns out to be 75% of what Eichel is. 

There is no return that a team would actually give up that could be worth it. It just doesn't exist. Every draft pick, every prospect you get is hoping one of those guys turns out to be 75% of what Eichel is. 

What if one of the players in the return is 110% of what Eichel is now?

I guess I haven't bought into Jack yet to the point where I wouldn't consider trading him. It would have to be a haul.

I guess I haven't bought into Jack yet to the point where I wouldn't consider trading him. It would have to be a haul.

I have no allegiance to any player on this team. You put enough good stuff in the wheelbarrow and I'll trade anyone. 

I have no allegiance to any player on this team. You put enough good stuff in the wheelbarrow and I'll trade anyone. 

I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't trade him (ok, maybe I wouldn't, but I could understand if the team did theoretically), I'm saying that wheelbarrow would have to be so full in order to be worth it that a team wouldn't pay it. What's your price here? 2 starters, 3 firsts (non-protected), 2 A level prospects? Does that actually make your team better anytime sooner? And would anyone pay it?

Edited by sabelvilhelm

I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't trade him (ok, maybe I wouldn't, but I could understand if the team did theoretically), I'm saying that wheelbarrow would have to be so full in order to be worth it that a team wouldn't pay it. What's your price here? 2 starters, 3 firsts (non-protected), 2 A level prospects? Does that actually make your team better anytime sooner? And would anyone pay it?

The Bruins traded Seguin to Dallas, and one of those teams is in the playoffs and the other isn't...

Of course, the Habs traded Subban to Nashville and one of those teams is in the playoffs and the other isn't...

Do we have our guy in Jack? Does it matter? Ask the Islanders. Ask the Stars. Ask the Canucks. Ask Minnesota. Ask Ottawa. Ask San Jose. 

It's all kind of a crapshoot isn't it?

The Bruins traded Seguin to Dallas, and one of those teams is in the playoffs and the other isn't...

Of course, the Habs traded Subban to Nashville and one of those teams is in the playoffs and the other isn't...

Do we have our guy in Jack? Does it matter? Ask the Islanders. Ask the Stars. Ask the Canucks. Ask Minnesota. Ask Ottawa. Ask San Jose. 

It's all kind of a crapshoot isn't it?

You can't tell me you think Boston won out on that Seguin trade.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/four-years-later-the-bruins-officially-have-nothing-left-from-the-seguin-trade

And yet, here we are. It didn't sink them, did it? 

Darcy won a lot of trades. For whatever that was worth. 

Thats a false positive though. "Well I threw $1000 over a bridge 5 years ago, but here I am, not living in a gutter!" Half the NHL makes the playoffs, its not really an accomplishment.(The Sabres suck so bad that I haven't paid any attention to the NHL this year, so I had no idea the Bruins were doing so well. My other points stand, however)

Trading Eichel for picks and prospects is essentially this:

Edited by sabelvilhelm

Thats a false positive though. "Well I threw $1000 over a bridge 5 years ago, but here I am, not living in a gutter!" Half the NHL makes the playoffs, its not really an accomplishment.

Trading Eichel for picks and prospects is essentially this:

Tanking to get Eichel was also kind of a mystery box. He's obviously talented, but I think we're still trying to figure out what exactly Eichel is and how he fits on this team.

I agree with this in theory, but I don't like the idea of trading our dollar bill for a bunch of pocket change that we hope will add up to more than a dollar. That's fine when a guy's contract is expiring or the person doesn't fit with your future plans, but after waiting almost 10 years to replace 48 and 23, I'd rather not go back to the days where we don't have quality centers. Eichel is young, locked up for the foreseeable future, and he has the speed and talent to play in mostly whatever system would be asked of him.

That being said, I'd listen to any offers, just in case a team is willing to severely overpay.

I agree with this in theory, but I don't like the idea of trading our dollar bill for a bunch of pocket change that we hope will add up to more than a dollar. That's fine when a guy's contract is expiring or the person doesn't fit with your future plans, but after waiting almost 10 years to replace 48 and 23, I'd rather not go back to the days where we don't have quality centers. Eichel is young, locked up for the foreseeable future, and he has the speed and talent to play in mostly whatever system would be asked of him.

That being said, I'd listen to any offers, just in case a team is willing to severely overpay.

Right, that's basically it. You can't say you wouldn't trade him. No one can really say that.

I don't want to go back to having no one at center. I don't want to be Ottawa destroying its fanbase by trading their best player.

But...

Eichel was the mystery box if the first option was that pair of comedy club tickets.

Sure, but we sold the house to take a crack at either. We could easily not have gotten Eichel or McDavid...

Right, that's basically it. You can't say you wouldn't trade him. No one can really say that.

I don't want to go back to having no one at center. I don't want to be Ottawa destroying its fanbase by trading their best player.

But...

Sure, but we sold the house to take a crack at either. We could easily not have gotten Eichel or McDavid...

1) I still agree with this, my point is that the price that would make considering it worth it to me is A) more than what Boston got for Seguin, and therefore B) more than any team is willing to pay

2)That house had severe cracks in the foundation, termites, and was currently on fire. The problem with the tank wasn't getting to the bottom, that was easy, we were practically there already. The problem was that Murray had no idea to rebuild the damn thing afterwards.

Edited by sabelvilhelm

1) I still agree with this, my point is that the price that would make considering it worth it to me is A) more than what Boston got for Seguin, and therefore B) more than any team is willing to pay

2)That house had severe cracks in the foundation, termites, and was currently on fire. The problem with the tank wasn't getting to the bottom, that was easy, we were practically there already. The problem was that Murray had no idea to rebuild the damn thing afterwards.

Right. It's about getting the right mix of guys around Jack and filling out the bottom of the roster. As things sit, we're in bad shape. We have Reinhart who seems to have chemistry with both Eichel and O'Reilly, which is wonderful. But he can't be on two lines at one time. So we need more guys who gel with Jack. Which is going to take time and some trial and error. Jack is good, but he'll be really special if we can ever get him with the right guys. Kinda like how Kane is a perfect fit for San Jose. He was good here, but he's perfect there.

There have to be some guys who are a perfect fit for Jack.

The question is, does it ever happen while he's a Sabre? 

Right. It's about getting the right mix of guys around Jack and filling out the bottom of the roster. As things sit, we're in bad shape. We have Reinhart who seems to have chemistry with both Eichel and O'Reilly, which is wonderful. But he can't be on two lines at one time. So we need more guys who gel with Jack. Which is going to take time and some trial and error. Jack is good, but he'll be really special if we can ever get him with the right guys. Kinda like how Kane is a perfect fit for San Jose. He was good here, but he's perfect there.

There have to be some guys who are a perfect fit for Jack.

The question is, does it ever happen while he's a Sabre? 

The question we're asking here is "does trading Jack make the Sabres better" and for me it's a hard no.

Care to put some names to that 110% Eichel player? Can you also work out a non-nonstarter trade to get the other team to offer that player?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.