Shootout alternative

PASabreFan

Coach's option as to who goes first. It's three on two with the puck pre-placed near "center point" and the two defenders have to be below the dots to start. You have 30 seconds to score. If the puck is cleared, the attempt is concluded.

If you score the other team gets a possession to try and tie. Otherwise, the game is over.

Gimmicky, but much closer to hockey than the shootout, that's for sure.

Edited by PASabreFan

What, I love watching Lehner in a shootout.  

He actually lucked into making a save last night.

Coach's option as to who goes first. It's three on two with the puck pre-placed near "center point" and the two defenders have to be below the dots to start. You have 30 seconds to score. If the puck is cleared, the attempt is concluded.

If you score the other team gets a possession to try and tie. Otherwise, the game is over.

Gimmicky, but much closer to hockey than the shootout, that's for sure.

So you're thinking more like the equivalent of the College Football option for overtime?

How about if OT ends in a tie, the refs just go to the scorekeeper and see who has the better possession stats?

:devil:

That's a great idea besides Jokertecken and Randall Flagg needs jobs don't they???

OT should be 5 a side. But make it like lacrosse, where only 3 can be in the offensive zone/defensive zone at any time. Gives the offensive ability of 3x3, but still has the feel of a real hockey game with the 5x5. Eliminate the offsides at the blue line and have one linesman camped out at the red line watching for too many men in a zone. Shift changes become tactical and play should open up without the breakaway 1 on 1 that is common now.  Biggest problem is the referees swallowing their whistles or getting suckered into seeing a dive as an interference call. It'll never fly, but it's better than the 3x3 and shootout. At least in my eyes.

Ties sucked from the standpoint of watching the last 5 minutes of play. 3-on-3 is fun. I bet the number of Shootouts would drop considerably if 3-on-3 ran for 10 minutes. I don't mind the shootout either; it's a regular season game so why not.

Edited by MattiPaj

Things will stay the same, and this is why: you don't get "punished" for being bad at 3-on-3, or the shootout. You get the same amount of points as a tie (1).

You do, however, get rewarded (extra pt) for being good at 3-on-3 or the shootout.

If they decided to replace an entire period with 3-on-3 (or a shootout- could you imagine?!), then I'd be against it.

But they've concluded that tie games are bad for hockey, and I don't disagree

Ties sucked from the standpoint of watching the last 5 minutes of play entire freaking third period. 3-on-3 is fun. I bet the number of Shootouts would drop considerably if 3-on-3 ran for 10 minutes. I don't mind the shootout either; it's a regular season game so why not.

Fixed.

How about if OT ends in a tie, the refs just go to the scorekeeper and see who has the better possession stats?

:devil:

Not good enough!  Forget goals, altogether.  Toss the nets and cut all the goaltenders.  Play 6-on-6 for 60 minutes and then see who best possession numbers at the end.  It would be like a giant game of keep away.  Use RFID chips in the pucks, sticks, players' gear, etc, and let a computer keep a running number.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.