GDT Toronto at Buffalo 7:30pm 3-5-18, NBCSN GR

Brawndo

I have to say that is the saddest message board ever.  

I did love that they posted the rules for in the crease contact when Larsson was out of the crease , but oh well.

It's not the player, it's the goalie in the crease that matters. 

Reinhart is finally blossoming into the player we hope we drafted.

Seems like he blooms every spring.

This is great.  Any time the Sabres win it's great.  All those sad faces in the Aud (or whatever it's called now) was the cherry on top.  Sorry, millbank.

And Kadri on the Pville goal ...  :w00t: .  Kadri is such a ... opps Ramadan is coming soon.

Their current building was never called the Aud.

My question is what was Babcock saying to the ref after Larsson's goal was ruled a good one? Of course he was angry but at one point, he was rubbing his thumb and index finger together in the ref's direction. To me, that implies that there was some money or payoff involved? I wonder. If so, it would be interesting to see what the league says or how it responds. Anyone else see this?

My question is what was Babcock saying to the ref after Larsson's goal was ruled a good one? Of course he was angry but at one point, he was rubbing his thumb and index finger together in the ref's direction. To me, that implies that there was some money or payoff involved? I wonder. If so, it would be interesting to see what the league says or how it responds. Anyone else see this?

You think the head coach of a major sports franchise was openly reminding an official that they paid him off during a game?

You could see it at 7:45 of this recap.

That was pretty clearly a “come here and explain the decision” signal to me.

But thanks for posting the recap! I only saw highlights of the goals (blacked out on NHL.tv, couldn’t find a reliable stream). Some crazy sequences in that game.

But thanks for posting the recap! I only saw highlights of the goals (blacked out on NHL.tv, couldn’t find a reliable stream). Some crazy sequences in that game.

You can always get any replay on youtube the next day. Type in the teams and the year. 

Agreed. I think his come hither motion was a bit askew due to holding a pen but it didn't look like an undisputed $$$ sign.

Anyone else notice how the Sabres puck luck has been swinging in their direction quite prolifically the last couple of weeks. This team was never as bad as the lowest part of the season indicated. Everyone's shooting percentage was way below career averages and no bounces ever seemed to be going their way. Now pucks are just landing on their sticks in front of the opposing goalie.

Edited by inkman

I didn’t get to watch.

Looks like Sabres were outshot by a lot.

Score effects?

"The what now?" --Terry Pegula

This isn’t meant as a smart remark: Andersen really did look a lot like Lehner.

Johnson sure has turned his game around lately.

Guhle looked in over his head most of the time out there.

Saw the bad Beaulieu more than a few times. But also saw the rare good Beaulieu a few times as well.

I’ve decided I really like Marco Scandella.

I’m agreeing with the Wilson love - lot of speed, lot of smarts; Girgensons had that kind of game tonight too.

Nazem Kadri remains the league’s biggest douche.

How long does Sam Reinhart have to play like this before we start calling him a legitimate first-liner?

I think we saw the rare Beaulieu period. I don't recall his being unleashed like that. He was a wild, unbridled stallion out there. I kind of dug it.

I could almost read his lips: YOU WERE BOUGHT! YOU WERE BOUGHT!

Man that was a fun game last night.

Sabres now 5-0 in their last five against Boston, Tampa and Toronto. Now 6-1-1 in their last 8 games against Atlantic teams. Team is now 10-8-2 over their last 20 games since the blowout against Dallas. Are they turning the corner? Starting to really understand Housley's system. Maybe Housley is a good coach after all? Would be nice to see them continue this stretch of play over the remaining 15+ games. The team doesn't appear to be as desolate as once thought in my eyes.

I don't think you can judge this team until they play at least one meaningful game.

They play carefree and for absolutely nothing right now. There are so many factors that play into why they are beating some good teams and I don't think that Buffalo being the better team is one of them.

I don't think you can judge this team until they play at least one meaningful game.

They play carefree and for absolutely nothing right now. There are so many factors that play into why they are beating some good teams and I don't think that Buffalo being the better team is one of them.

Can we enjoy the wins?

Anyone else notice how the Sabres puck luck has been swinging in their direction quite prolifically the last couple of weeks. This team was never as bad as the lowest part of the season indicated. Everyone's shooting percentage was way below career averages and no bounces ever seemed to be going their way. Now pucks are just landing on their sticks in front of the opposing goalie.

It was bound to change.  But it's changing for all the right reasons.  Look at the Larsson goal:  under DDB's system, or even earlier in the year, no way Nolan gets that puck and dishes to Pommer, and Larsson would have been already skating up ice to backcheck.  Instead, a little hustle by Nolan and Larsson hangs around to pick up a juicy rebound.  They simply didn't expect continued O zone time previously and were never there for the rebounds as a result.  (All you Nolan haters, he showed he does, in fact, have a decent set of hands on that goal.)

There were several sequences where the Sabres used their creativity to keep the puck alive.  Creativity was all but drubbed out of them by the likes of Rolston and Bylsma.  Like a dog that's been hit too many times (reference every ROR interview through the fist 60 games if you don't know what I mean), they shied away when a creative play might have led to a scoring opportunity.  It's taken over half a season, but I think they're no longer wincing under Housley.  They are starting to forget about failure and starting to learn success.  This is one reason I think the late-season-surge-not-continuing-to-the-following-season trend is over.  There will probably be some significant turnover on the roster this off-season, but the players that remain are buying into HCPH's system and they will actually understand the system at the beginning of the season next year.

One last point:  SAMSON REINHART IS FINE.

Of course he did.  Housley threw him into the deep end.  And... he didn't drown.  Maybe all he did was tread water, but he didn't drown.  When he was up previously, the team as a unit was playing a lot slower.  He's going to have to get used to the speed of the NHL... not just the other teams but the Sabres too.

Yes, maybe one game we got some lucky breaks. Over 20 games now we're near a playoff pace. Still needs to be much better but if the team still looks similar to you over the past month and a half vs the start of the year then I don't know what to tell you.

This isn’t meant as a smart remark: Andersen really did look a lot like Lehner.

Johnson sure has turned his game around lately.

Saw the bad Beaulieu more than a few times. But also saw the rare good Beaulieu a few times as well.

I’ve decided I really like Marco Scandella.

I’m agreeing with the Wilson love - lot of speed, lot of smarts; Girgensons had that kind of game tonight too.

Nazem Kadri remains the league’s biggest douche.

How long does Sam Reinhart have to play like this before we start calling him a legitimate first-liner?

#SamsonsFlow

:thumbsup:

We got so many bounces last night.

It was very refreshing.

Yeah.

I see the SA at 65/40, and their SV% at sub .800.

Fun is good, though.

PDO (I think I'm doing this right):

Sabres: 113.5 (gaudy)

Leafs: 86.5 (putrid)

The range from the top to bottom teams in the league right now is ~98-102. Puck luck is real.

I think there already is a name for it. It's just one of those dadgum fancy stats terms. 

PDO is one of my favorite fancy stats!

Here are the "luckiest" players so far this season. A glitch in the system omits Vegas from this list. They have several guys posting unreal PDOs. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/ppbp_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&rookie=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&situation_id=ev&pos=S&c1stat=games_played&c1comp=gt&c1val=40&order_by=games_played

Note- you have to sort by PDO. The list defaults to games played even though I copied the correct link :P

PDO is one of my favorite fancy stats!

Here are the "luckiest" players so far this season. A glitch in the system omits Vegas from this list. They have several guys posting unreal PDOs.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/ppbp_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2018&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&rookie=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&situation_id=ev&pos=S&c1stat=games_played&c1comp=gt&c1val=40&order_by=games_played

Note- you have to sort by PDO. The list defaults to games played even though I copied the correct link :P

PDO is interesting because I look at this list and think "these guys have to be generating their own luck to some extent".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.