"The Sabres are going to be VERY good"

SabresFanInRochester

Puck luck meets structured work. Im not buyingit over a season series with two of the leagues elite teams.

Same. But I think my point is that it has improved relative to where it was on balance over the first 20 or so games, even if we shouldn't necessarily expect to be a team that can regularly beat the Bruins and Tampa. I think that's what I'm saying. I'm lightheaded from watching too much youtube too late last night so that might not have been where my posts were going. 

It's time to maintain the improved effort level and apparent structure, build on both, add talent, and then do it for real from the start next year. 

Rochester, this article in the Hockey News should make you somewhat happy. It also reinforces my disgust with TM and his unwillingness to draft D and his overall incompetence as a GM.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-which-rebuilding-team-will-return-to-glory-fastest

THN thinks Mittelstud is the among their top prospects in the NHL and they think he’ll be in Buffalo next fall. They compare him to Matt Barzal.

No idea.  I'm not proposing it as fact.  But I'm not discounting the idea either.  It's not unlike those glorious runs to 9th place.

ETA- Boston and Tampa are a level of magnitude more deeply talented than Buffalo.  What other theories shall we propose for why they lost to us several times this season?  I'm hard pressed to believe that the makeup of our team is somehow accidentally a poor match up for those two.

I think it's just favorable conditions more than anything.  I don't think other teams are playing down to Buffalo and that's why Buffalo is winning.  I can look at GDTs on here and see a lot of people posting "who is this team?".  That's the eye test in action.  We're seeing an improved game style out of this team.  They still have their moments.  Boston had Buffalo players on the ice for as long as 4 minutes in one stretch and no goals OR penalties were taken.  That's unusual but it happened. 

My opposition was to your theory that there is this "garbage time" and that teams just lose to the Sabres because they aren't trying as hard.  I don't buy into garbage time.  The Lightning and Bruins and others are all battling for playoff spots and home ice, etc.  It's not insignificant by any means.  Losing points to Buffalo can't sit well with them.  Especially Boston who lost 2 points to the Sabres.  The Lightning only lost 1 in the last game.

I dont like calling these wins 'Garbage Time' 60 minute efforts are not garbage time. Garbage time is when the team is down 6-0 and score 3 goals to make the score closer.

The team is showing signs of improvement and that is what we have to build on. 18 games to go. Say the Sabres finish 9-9, that would be 18-16-2, including that 9-7-2 run since the "Dallas Afternoon Massacre" which covers almost half the season. I think we would all sign up for that now. Would clearly show us that the franchise is truly taking the turn for the better.

Edited by (E5)

I dont like calling these wins 'Garbage Time' 60 minute efforts are not garbage time. Garbage time is when the team is down 6-0 and score 3 goals to make the score closer.

The team is showing signs of improvement and that is what we have to build on. 18 games to go. Say the Sabres finish 9-9, that would be 18-16-2, including that 9-7-2 run since the "Dallas Afternoon Massacre" which covers almost half the season. I think we would all sign up for that now. Would clearly show us that the franchise is truly taking the turn for the better.

This is a good point - while they don't matter FOR US, teams like Boston and Tampa are definitely fighting for home ice and should be viewing especially easy opponents as games they have to have, not games to gloss over. These games matter far more to those teams than they did in November.

I believe the 'garbage time' here refers to the 'garbage time' of this season.

Am I right?

That is true but I just look at the totality of an 82 game season. if a team is 9 points out and playing bad with 20 games to go and wins 18 of 20 to close the season and miraculously make the playoffs, and face some backup goalies, noone would call that garbage time

I agree. I'm also suspicious of the claim that teams like Tampa and Boston are playing down to us. Those teams are trying to get things straightened out with their rosters before the playoffs. They're not resting their starters, and I bet they wouldn't like to skid into the off-season losing a bunch of games against bad teams. This isn't resting your starters in week 17 like they do in football.

That is true but I just look at the totality of an 82 game season. if a team is 9 points out and playing bad with 20 games to go and wins 18 of 20 to close the season and miraculously make the playoffs, and face some backup goalies, noone would call that garbage time

I still think that many don't take much stock in  these late season (ie ... garbage time of this season, as there is no way to make the playoffs) victories and would rather have losses.  Maybe I am projecting and reading too much into this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.