Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

Yes, maybe I'm being optimistic, but then I look to see what we have to replace them and I don't see anything. Hey, if we bring in the Caps Carlson, sure throw those two aside. Until then, they are the horses we ride

Carlson would be a great fit as we need a RD, but he is already 28 and I doubt Wash can afford to let him leave town. De Haan would also be a fit, except he is a LD, but we could use his steady play. Aside from those two top 2 UFAs and getting lucky on Dahlin, any thoughts on who may be available in trade or free agency that Jbot could find like the Scandella? Pateryn is an interesting late developing D, but Dallas will likely re-sign him.

I did quick a look for some possible cap casualties and some blocked prospects.

1) Emelim - more of a physical, stay at home D, but has decent wheels at 31 we can probably get him om a reasonable 2 year deal to help bridge the team as Guhle and Borgen mature.

2) Blocked prospects - Sam Morin (philly), Jacob Larsson (Ana) and Jack Dougherty (Nsh). Obviously Larsson is the best of this bunch, but with Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Montour locked in long term, plus the development of Marcus Petterson, I think they could be convinced to trade Larsson.

3) Ryan Murphy - another late developing D. Minn has to re-sign this summer Zucker and Dumba, will there be any money to keep Murphy?

4) other?

Would you trade Nylander for Joulevi?

Carlson would be a great fit as we need a RD, but he is already 28 and I doubt Wash can afford to let him leave town. De Haan would also be a fit, except he is a LD, but we could use his steady play. Aside from those two top 2 UFAs and getting lucky on Dahlin, any thoughts on who may be available in trade or free agency that Jbot could find like the Scandella? Pateryn is an interesting late developing D, but Dallas will likely re-sign him.

I did quick a look for some possible cap casualties and some blocked prospects.

1) Emelim - more of a physical, stay at home D, but has decent wheels at 31 we can probably get him om a reasonable 2 year deal to help bridge the team as Guhle and Borgen mature.

2) Blocked prospects - Sam Morin (philly), Jacob Larsson (Ana) and Jack Dougherty (Nsh). Obviously Larsson is the best of this bunch, but with Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Montour locked in long term, plus the development of Marcus Petterson, I think they could be convinced to trade Larsson.

3) Ryan Murphy - another late developing D. Minn has to re-sign this summer Zucker and Dumba, will there be any money to keep Murphy?

4) other?

Would you trade Nylander for Joulevi?

I don't think Vancouver makes that trade. They picked Juolevi 3 picks ahead of Nylander, so if Vancouver wanted Nylander they would have just taken him instead and that doesn't even take into account the fact that Nylander's development has been a disappointment to date since he was drafted. Has Juolevi's development disappointed as well? That's the only thing I can think that could possibly make them even consider it.

I don't think Vancouver makes that trade. They picked Juolevi 3 picks ahead of Nylander, so if Vancouver wanted Nylander they would have just taken him instead and that doesn't even take into account the fact that Nylander's development has been a disappointment to date since he was drafted. Has Juolevi's development disappointed as well? That's the only thing I can think that could possibly make them even consider it.

Yes, Joulevi has disappointed somewhat as well.  I agree that Nylander for Joulevi straight up may not work, but you'd only need a small incentive to get the job done.

here's the D I want to see.

Dahlin, Scandella, Risto, Guhle, new guy, new guy, Nelson #7.  

Anything less than that will be a problem/weakness. 

McCabe is likeyl to still be here.  Also Bettman will never allow the Sabres to get Dahlin.  Mon or Det are getting the 1st overall pick.  

Scandella and Risto are a given.

Guhle looks ready for an NHL role.

Nelson (UFA) and Antipin (RFA) are showing improvement and easily could be in the mix next season.

McCabe is a steady cheap D who was playing good hockey before he got hurt.

Bogo, aka Mr. Glass, is still under contract for 2 more years and Baloo, aka Mr Turnover, is also under contract for next season.  

Is that our 8 for next season? I still think it's missing a true game breaker, but that doesn't look terrible.

Obviously three major factors

1) Do we get Dahlin in the draft?  I'm not playing these odds, but stranger things have happened and the hockey gods owe us one.

2) Do we get a hot D prospect back in the Kane deal?

3) Who will be available in free agency?

Scandella, Risto, Guhle, Nelson are the only GTD.  Maybe McCabe.   Everyone else needs to go.

Scandella and Risto are a given.

Guhle looks ready for an NHL role.

Nelson (UFA) and Antipin (RFA) are showing improvement and easily could be in the mix next season.

McCabe is a steady cheap D who was playing good hockey before he got hurt.

Bogo, aka Mr. Glass, is still under contract for 2 more years and Baloo, aka Mr Turnover, is also under contract for next season.  

Is that our 8 for next season? I still think it's missing a true game breaker, but that doesn't look terrible.

Obviously three major factors

1) Do we get Dahlin in the draft?  I'm not playing these odds, but stranger things have happened and the hockey gods owe us one.

2) Do we get a hot D prospect back in the Kane deal?

3) Who will be available in free agency?

IMO, Guhle, Risto and Scandella are going to be here. The other 4 spots, who knows. 

Draft Dahlin or Brouchard, sign Carlson of the Capitals, defense fixed.

That would eventually put Risto and Scandella on the 2nd pair and Guhle-Nelson on the 3rd.

Defense fixed, hope Borgen develops also

1st, one of these things is not like the other.

2nd, Bouchard is not a first pairing defender in the NHL. He's probably a solid #3 or a #4 with good PP skills. He just isn't dynamic enough for the top pair and owes some of his second half success to having Robert Thomas traded to London. I currently have 4 defenders ranked above Bouchard. Solid contributor but not top 4 worthy. 

1st, one of these things is not like the other.

2nd, Bouchard is not a first pairing defender in the NHL. He's probably a solid #3 or a #4 with good PP skills. He just isn't dynamic enough for the top pair and owes some of his second half success to having Robert Thomas traded to London. I currently have 4 defenders ranked above Bouchard. Solid contributor but not top 4 worthy. 

Just guessing but if you have Hughes and Boqvist ahead of him, I think they may be a bit small to dominate in the NHL, but we'll see, I also think Bouchard can make the jump next year.

According to Hoppe at Buffalohockeybeat.com Bogo says his surgery went well and he’ll be healthy next fall. Noooooooooo.

Buyout coming?

Well if my math serves me correctly, it's $5 mill on the cap to keep him the next 2 seasons and it would be $3 million on the cap for the next 4 years if bought out. I don't think it would make sense to buy him out yet.

According to capfriendly, the buyout cap hit for Bogo is 1.142, 1.142, 2 & 2. We’ll actually save $4mill per year for the first two years.

This is because his salary is $6 mill per season for the next 2 years. Buyout is therefore $8 mill over 4 years in actual $. We therefore save $4 mill in salary in years 1 & 2, this savings get deducted from the actual cap hit leaving us with the cap hits outlined above.

According to capfriendly, the buyout cap hit for Bogo is 1.142, 1.142, 2 & 2. We’ll actually save $4mill per year for the first two years.

This is because his salary is $6 mill per season for the next 2 years. Buyout is therefore $8 mill over 4 years in actual $. We therefore save $4 mill in salary in years 1 & 2, this savings get deducted from the actual cap hit leaving us with the cap hits outlined above.

Your signature may no longer be viable 

If he can play half the season without getting hurt then fine. 

But he can't

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.