All-Time Lineup

Tondas

Very bored and can't sleep.  I didn't find a thread like this (though there's likely to be one with this group), so I thought what a good time to revel in Sabres past glory.  With all the uninspiring players on the team now, I thought I'd give my picks on the best All-Time Sabres line up.  I've been watching since 1970, so I've seen them all.  There were some really good times.

Forwards
7 - Rick Martin  11 - Gilbert Perreault  14 - Rene Robert
89 - Alexander Mogilny  16 - Pat LaFontaine   18 - Danny Gare (A)
25 - Dave Andreychuk   23 - Chris Drury   17 - Mike Foligno
10 - Craig Ramsay (A)  46 - Daniel Briere – 26 - Thomas Vanek

20 - Don Luce

81 - Miroslav Satan

Defensemen
5 - Mike Ramsey  24 - Bill Hajt
6 - Jim Schoenfeld ©  6a - Phil Housley
51 - Brian Campbell  38 - Jay McKee

27 - Teppo Numminen

Goaltenders
39 - Dominik Hasek
30 - Tom Barasso

General Manager

Punch Imlach

Head Coach
Lindy Ruff

Assistant Coaches
Craig Ramsay
Scott Arniel

PBP – Rick Jeanneret (for those of us that heard Ted Darling, this choice was hard)

Color – Jim Lorentz (for those of us that heard Pat Hannigan, this choice was easy)

Anthem – Doug Allen

Organist – Norm Wullem

PA – Milt Ellis

Very bored and can't sleep.  I didn't find a thread like this (though there's likely to be one with this group), so I thought what a good time to revel in Sabres past glory.  With all the uninspiring players on the team now, I thought I'd give my picks on the best All-Time Sabres line up.  I've been watching since 1970, so I've seen them all.  There were some really good times.

Forwards

7 - Rick Martin  11 - Gilbert Perreault  14 - Rene Robert

89 - Alexander Mogilny  16 - Pat LaFontaine   18 - Danny Gare (A)

25 - Dave Andreychuk   23 - Chris Drury   17 - Mike Foligno

10 - Craig Ramsay (A)  46 - Daniel Briere – 26 - Thomas Vanek

20 - Don Luce

81 - Miroslav Satan

Defensemen

5 - Mike Ramsey  24 - Bill Hajt

6 - Jim Schoenfeld ©  6a - Phil Housley

51 - Brian Campbell  38 - Jay McKee

27 - Teppo Numminen

Goaltenders

39 - Dominik Hasek

30 - Tom Barasso

General Manager

Punch Imlach

Head Coach

Lindy Ruff

Assistant Coaches

Craig Ramsay

Scott Arniel

PBP – Rick Jeanneret (for those of us that heard Ted Darling, this choice was hard)

Color – Jim Lorentz (for those of us that heard Pat Hannigan, this choice was easy)

Anthem – Doug Allen

Organist – Norm Wullem

PA – Milt Ellis

you pretty much nailed it....but i would make these slight adjustments...Dale Hawerchuk replaces Thomas Vanek...And Jerry  King Kong Korab has to be in the lineup somewhere.

He struck fear into  opponents anytime they were anywhere near the boards.

Now if you're really bored and tired try to do that with a salary cap based on what those guys would command in today's market...........gonna have to think about adding crazy Spinner Spencer if you do that ;)

Mike Peca should be on the roster and I think Don Luce deserves more consideration. Him and Ramsey were among the best penalty killers/defensive duos in the league. Satan doesn't deserve to be there. 

Also, despite current issues, no way is Jack Eichel not better than Vanek and several others. 

Hawechuk - 342gms 110g -275a = 385 pts

Drury - 234gms 85g - 104a = 189pts

Briere - 225gms 92g - 138a = 230 pts

Hawerchuk is the no. 3 center on the all time team

Eichel - in another year or two he’ll make this list.

Also Doug Bodger needs to be considered over Cambell and McKee as does Korab

Hawechuk - 342gms 110g -275a = 385 pts

Drury - 234gms 85g - 104a = 189pts

Briere - 225gms 92g - 138a = 230 pts

Hawerchuk is the no. 3 center on the all time team

Eichel - in another year or two he’ll make this list.

Also Doug Bodger needs to be considered over Cambell and McKee as does Korab

Agree on Hawerchuk (obviously).  Where is Zhitnik on this list?  Satan is Top 10 in a bunch of categories I think (too lazy to look up the accuracy of that claim right now).  No love for late 90's Sabres.  I'd take Peca over Briere as well, but that's just my personal flavor, nothing against Danny.

As mentioned, Hawerchuck is the 3rd center.  And I'm inclined to put Peca in over Drury and Briere.  I don't think I'd have Briere in a center spot at all on that roster.

And, I agree that Luce deserves 4th line center consideration.  If you aren't sure, look where he stands in Sabres all time points leaders.

Edited by We've

Luce was perhaps the best penalty killer the team ever had.  

And I'm not putting Campbell on an all-time best team.  McKee, I will, but he's one of my favorites so I'm biased.  I'll take Fogolin instead.  If you need an offensive-minded defenseman there, I'll put Zhithead in.

Miller was far and away a better goaltender than Barasso.  He's the second string.  There cannot be a serious question about this.

McKee wore 74 and not 38.  Maybe he wore 38 as a Simonick number, but he wore 74.

Satan can ###### right off.  I'd rather have Sanderson or Afinogenov if that's the role we're trying to fill, and if we're not trying to fill the "speedster" role, I'd rather have Peca.

And on edit:  Hawerchuk is in over a lot of those guys.

As mentioned, Hawerchuck is the 3rd center.  And I'm inclined to put Peca in over Drury and Briere.  I don't think I'd have Briere in a center spot at all on that roster.

And, I agree that Luce deserves 4th line center consideration.  If you aren't sure, look where he stands in Sabres all time points leaders.

Briere, hanging out just to the left of the net (as we see it; it would be the goalie's right), was ###### deadly.  I'd rather him over Drury, because Luce needs to be in.

Edited by Eleven

If we were building a real team as oppose to an all-star team

Drury Perreault Martin

Mogilny Lafontaine O’Reilly

Gare Hawerchuk Eichel

Foligno Peca Ramsay

Schoenfeld Ramsey

Housley McKee

Campbell Zhitnik

Hasek

Miller

Spares: Luce, Hajt

Would flip Hajt & Housley & the W's seem consistently off wing. But that isn't too far from the Sabres ideal. :beer:

Would also point out for any youngins here that you were referring to MIKE Foligno, not his kid. ;)

• 1 month later...

Would flip Hajt & Housley & the W's seem consistently off wing. But that isn't too far from the Sabres ideal. :beer:

Would also point out for any youngins here that you were referring to MIKE Foligno, not his kid. ;)

ugh the fact you needed to say Mike Foligno just dates us!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.