Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

A whole bunch of blowback started. Dozens of people jumped all over him saying that, maybe even without realizing it, he went with something as strong as "laughable" because Kim's a woman. Harrington responded over and over again: It's not about her being a woman, it's about her being a person who is unqualified to oversee hockey ops. And then the rejoinders came that the scrutiny he was applying to this incoming businesswoman seemed ... far stricter and more exacting than that which is applied to non-hockey business men who serve as presidents.

Do you finally see the problem here? Mike is talking about a hockey president and others are talking about a business president. Until this is resolved, people are going to continue to talk past each other. (And you might have told your daughter something that's not been confirmed, namely that Kim as president is in charge of everything.)

There’s no issue, as I see it.

The Sabres have no president of business and no president of hockey. They have a president.

As a practical matter, JBOT is like a senior vp of hockey at this point.

Kim and Terry are in charge. Same as it ever was — or, at least, same as it’s been since February 2011.

Edited by That Aud Smell

There’s no issue, as I see it.

The Sabres have no president of business and no president of hockey. They have a president.

As a practical matter, JBOT is like a senior vp of hockey at this point.

Kim and Terry are in charge. Same as it ever was — or, at least, same as it’s been since February 2011.

So KIm isn't the new Russ Brandon/Ted Black? They also had the title of president but didn't encroach on hockey operations, as far as we know, other than the few areas that intersect, like scheduling.

I truly am confounded by all this. Why the need to give Kim a title? She was already overseeing the business side. She could have continued doing so without Brandon in the way, working with the various vice presidents. There's no hockey president above Botterill. The hockey side is overseen by Terry, who didn't name himself president.

Maybe it's all prelude to a succession plan for when Terry fracks the earth one final time.

Isn’t it as simple as rather than overseeing the business through Russ, Kim is going to operate it hands-on?

Through the various VPs... yes, you'd think so.

I don't think that's how it's being portrayed across the hockey world. That arrangement is hardly momentous -- Kim's essentially been doing it for years. It's really not that interesting. But a woman in "full operational control" of two professional sports teams is.

All the Sabres have to do is clarify what her role is. The last I heard and all I've heard is they'll have no further comment. Maybe they like the publicity.

Meanwhile, back at SS Ranch, anyone who wants to know if the Sabres suddenly have a hockey president has been consistently portrayed as a male chauvinist pig on the hunt for truffles. Or something.

It's a hound's breakfast!

If there is, as is suggested, some massive interest in knowing precisely what that lady is doing (seriously: WHAT IS SHE DOING?!), then that just proves the point.

She’s president of a hockey team like dozens of other businessmen have been before her. Something about *her* appears to be engendering a peculiar level of interest, though, in knowing just what (she thinks) she’ll be doing.

/drums figures

/arches eyebrows

/smirks knowingly

Edited by That Aud Smell

Again: what if, instead of Kim, TP had appointed as president his friend’s son, Joe, same age as Kim, and TP had met Joe at the same time he met Kim, and Joe similarly never had a real job before meeting TP, and Joe had the same amount of pro sports senior management experience as Kim has now?

Would people not raise similar questions?

They would, and it wouldn’t be due to prejudice.

Again: what if, instead of Kim, TP had appointed as president his friend’s son, Joe, same age as Kim, and TP had met Joe at the same time he met Kim, and Joe similarly never had a real job before meeting TP, and Joe had the same amount of pro sports senior management experience as Kim has now?

Would people not raise similar questions?

They would, and it wouldn’t be due to prejudice.

These hypotheticals are all well and good.

I’m dealing with the matter at hand.

(And it’s been a good give and take.)

If print media was still a big thing his negativity would be there. He's a miserable person and he clearly has some arrogance about him. 

I don't doubt it, but the level of vitriol the mainstream media guys seem to invoke from the locals is near constant. As a non local who has never lived in Buffalo I can't really relate to it. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Well if you live here and see story after story, poorly written, without a ton of facts, that meanders all over to get to what ever convoluted point he is trying to make, you will understand why ppl don't like him. 

Actually the best thing to do is move away for years and read other writers, then come back, and realize what poor writing most of his stuff is. 

How is he going to be once The Athletic hires Buffalo Based Writers?

I hope it forces the Buffalo News to actually look at who they are hiring and if they actually write well thought out articles.  Vogl and Hoppe are better reads then Harrington every day of the week. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.