Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

The jury on Allen is still years away, and Mahomes as well (And Watson etc. but Mahomes and Allen to me are inexorably linked) but I will be having nightmares about the process that moved us out of the pick Pat was taken at to give huge amounts to move up a year later to take Josh

Just because of how bad we looked today and the potential for how colossal of a mistake that could have been

Edited by Randall Flagg

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The jury on Allen is still years away, and Mahomes as well (And Watson etc. but Mahomes and Allen to me are inexorably linked) but I will be having nightmares about the process that moved us out of the pick Pat was taken at to give huge amounts to move up a year later to take Josh

Just because of how bad we looked today and the potential for how colossal of a mistake that could have been

We got Tre White out of that move, and we didn't give up really all that much to get Allen. Plus, Mahomes has Kelce, Hunt, Watkins, and Hill. Mahomes also has Andy Reid, an offensive guru, and whenever Reid has more than a week to prepare for a game, he destroys the other team. Dude is 16-2 coming off the bye, and is 12-8 in opening week

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-sunday-pile-andy-reid-has-a-remarkable-post-bye-nfl-playoff-record/

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/09/05/andy-reid-opening-game-week-1-nfl-history-chiefs-eagles/2/

(second article is before their opener last year, when they beat the Pats, and this year when they beat the Chargers)

Mahomes may turn out to have been a mistake, but I'm far from wiling to judge that

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

We got Tre White out of that move, and we didn't give up really all that much to get Allen. Plus, Mahomes has Kelce, Hunt, Watkins, and Hill. Mahomes also has Andy Reid, an offensive guru, and whenever Reid has more than a week to prepare for a game, he destroys the other team. Dude is 16-2 coming off the bye, and is 12-8 in opening week

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-sunday-pile-andy-reid-has-a-remarkable-post-bye-nfl-playoff-record/

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/09/05/andy-reid-opening-game-week-1-nfl-history-chiefs-eagles/2/

(second article is before their opener last year, when they beat the Pats, and this year when they beat the Chargers)

Mahomes may turn out to have been a mistake, but I'm far from wiling to judge that

We gave up two 2nds and Cordy Glenn. That's a lot.

And the fact that we don't have anything around Allen is, right now, quite the indictment of McBeane. It didn't have to be that way.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

We gave up two 2nds and Cordy Glenn. That's a lot.

And the fact that we don't have anything around Allen is, right now, quite the indictment of McBeane. It didn't have to be that way.

More than I remember actually. Still, we finally made a move to get a QB, I'm not going to hate that move.

I agree with this. 

The NFL did me a favor by having mobile streaming cost money, otherwise I would have been listening to the game while I was cleaning the garage. I suppose I could have used the laptop (because a laptop on wifi is fine, a phone on wifi is not), but by time I thought of that I saw the 2nd quarter score.

36 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The NFL did me a favor by having mobile streaming cost money, otherwise I would have been listening to the game while I was cleaning the garage. I suppose I could have used the laptop (because a laptop on wifi is fine, a phone on wifi is not), but by time I thought of that I saw the 2nd quarter score.

It continues to blow my mind that this is a thing. 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I thought the D laid an egg on the first drive, but looked pretty much like last year's D (slightly worse in pass pro because of the wrong Gaines, slightly better in run defense) when accounting for the fact that they were perpetually on the field, and often starting at the wrong 30 yard line, and ignoring garbage time. 

With league average offense it would be average and would lead the team to 7-10 wins. With our offense, it just won't matter, the only question will be which drive they fold. 

D4rk was right about trading away AJ - I'd like to see a non-Peterman warm body start next week. 

He and Josie picked a great time to do something fun. 

I forgot how low Buffalo sports can make me feel. 

We spent the day driving from Salt Lake to our "cabin" 20 minutes from West Yellowstone. It rules.

IMG_20180909_190304.thumb.jpg.88c5b5ee2c47ee4f9ba74cef44be1c2c.jpgIMG_20180909_190247.thumb.jpg.acffd577fee1f5e5ba623de150dca592.jpgIMG_20180909_190238.thumb.jpg.450b60b8f893ede6f2f595056951939c.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

12–8 week one is meh, but Andy Reid is definitely one of the few known QB gurus left.

Allen, Mahomes and Watson will forever be linked for the Bills. As will Allen, Rosen and Jackson.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

Anyone who wants to continue to argue about whether letting Taylor go was a smart move, there's a line over there.  Ir's right in front of the plank.

SO f*cking stupid.

I'm still okay with trading Tyrod for an asset.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

How many picks has Taylor thrown so far?  How many times has he thrown a ball ten yards or more away from the nearest receiver?  And far more weapons?  And a far worse defense?  I am questioning your football acumen now.

It's up there for me.  Enough that I left the sports bar at halftime and am going to nap shortly.  The wings were really good though.

This post did not age well.

17 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Tyrod Taylor has completed less than 39% of his passes today and has thrown for fewer than 100 yards to this point, in the 4th quarter. 

This is why I can't picture being as mad as Eleven is. 

Yep.

17 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This is true. It's also true that until this game hit pure garbage time, Tyrod had more yards rushing than our entire offense had produced.

Really though, I think there's a lot of talking past one another here on Tyrod. Whether anyone thinks it was smart/dumb to move on from him without an obviously better solution in the fold, I think we can all unify around the idea that emerging from the offseason with Nathan Peterman at the top of the depth chart was a clear organizational failure.

Total and complete embarrassment. And it fundamentally calls into question McDermott's/Beane's ability to evaluate talent, at least at the QB position in the NFL. What are they seeing? What biases are prompting them to conclude that Peterman can get the job done? Absurd.

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

And, it must be said, they did not look at all like a well-coached team.

That was generally their calling card last season, even when they lost. That squad yesterday looked completely befuddled.

9 hours ago, MattPie said:

I chose to mow my lawn in humid low 90s instead of taking advantage of the NFL ticket free preview.  I made the right choice.

• Haha (+1) 1

I've also got my antenna up anew for whether Beane's and McDermott's type of player ("try-hard" and/or faith-based guys) is causing them to target and sign the wrong players.

My current point of concern and curiosity is Trent Murphy. The guy's either not that good of a player, or he's plagued by undisclosed injuries (my bet would be a nagging sports hernia) and therefore not showing well.

In either case, a FA signing that is doing nothing to move the needle.

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That was generally their calling card last season, even when they lost. That squad yesterday looked completely befuddled.

One might argue that looking like a well-coached team in losses was an unearned calling card. 5 of their 7 losses were by double digits: 13, 37, 30, 20, 21. In two seasons, Rex Ryan's teams never lost by more than 17. Now let's compare public perception of coach competence...

Credit to Jeremy White for the stat. If it's wrong, blame him!

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

One might argue that looking like a well-coached team in losses was an unearned calling card. 5 of their 7 losses were by double digits: 13, 37, 30, 20, 21. In two seasons, Rex Ryan's teams never lost by more than 17. Now let's compare public perception of coach competence...

Credit to Jeremy White for the stat. If it's wrong, blame him!

Interesting. I think that impression took hold for me in the first half of last season -- before the Saints and Chargers games.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting. I think that impression took hold for me in the first half of last season -- before the Saints and Chargers games.

I also don't want my post to be misconstrued as a re-litigation of Ryan's tenure--he was objectively a flop.

Mostly, I just think it's an example of how humans are bad at remembering details in general, and especially if there was a favorable end result.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I also don't want my post to be misconstrued as a re-litigation of Ryan's tenure--he was objectively a flop.

Mostly, I just think it's an example of how humans are bad at remembering details in general, and especially if there was a favorable end result.

Fair. Last year's team started smartly -- they generally looked good. Then they were effing terrible. Then they squeaked into the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I've also got my antenna up anew for whether Beane's and McDermott's type of player ("try-hard" and/or faith-based guys) is causing them to target and sign the wrong players.

My current point of concern and curiosity is Trent Murphy. The guy's either not that good of a player, or he's plagued by undisclosed injuries (my bet would be a nagging sports hernia) and therefore not showing well.

If they genuinely believe what they say publicly (always a huge "if" with coaches/management), I think this is very possibly true. It's one thing to tell the media you like a player's story as a reason for acquiring/starting them...it's quite another to actually like the narrative. They certainly wouldn't be the first coach/GM to buy what they were selling, to their own detriment.

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If they genuinely believe what they say publicly (always a huge "if" with coaches/management), I think this is very possibly true. It's one thing to tell the media you like a player's story as a reason for acquiring/starting them...it's quite another to actually like the narrative. They certainly wouldn't be the first coach/GM to buy what they were selling, to their own detriment.

I'm fairly convinced that they believe their own narrative. The question I'd left open was whether they could make it work.

It has seemed at times like they'll be able to do it. Yesterday, not so much.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

40 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, you don't get much more "faith-based" or "try-hard" than Taylor, so I think they would have kept him if those were the criteria.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.