Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

17 hours ago, inkman said:

<snip>

I don't understand the insistence on playing the anthem before sporting events or the need to televise it. 

What is the purpose of it? To ensure everyone knows they are playing in America? 

Well, for a long time, the anthem just was. There are some here who've traced the history of the practice. Tied to honouring those who served in the armed forces and such.

More recently, though, the league made a clear choice to cast their lot and their brand with a certain type of patriotism. Their member organizations even made a bunch of money off the DOD (maybe still do?) by helping them run in-game promotions and such. Anyway, the process of commodifying and branding an amorphous concept like that always leads to reductivism and over-simplification. Hence: MURICA!

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

Fake patriots, wrapped in the flag, condemning Americans, for exercising their rights as Americans.

God bless America.

There's a lot of that going on.

My social media feed (mostly FB) is awash with those friends and relatives of mine who find the kneeling and the Nike ad campaign to be a complete and total affront to all this country stands for.

Every time I read those kinds of gripes, I hear a white person complaining about how uppity them n***ers are and how much ground the white race has ceded in its supremacy. I'm not saying it's what those folks consciously have in mind, but I'm saying that is what at the root of the issue.

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Not saying you're wrong about the flags, but the overall quality of play last night from two seemingly good teams was atrocious. Thursday football should not be a thing, especially week 1 thursday football.

Holy sh1t. I tuned in for a while. Unwatchable. The anticipation of football's return is way better than football's return. If you don't bet on the games and/or have a true rooting interest, there's rarely a reason to watch.

Also:

44 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, for a long time, the anthem just was. There are some here who've traced the history of the practice. Tied to honouring those who served in the armed forces and such.

More recently, though, the league made a clear choice to cast their lot and their brand with a certain type of patriotism. Their member organizations even made a bunch of money off the DOD (maybe still do?) by helping them run in-game promotions and such. Anyway, the process of commodifying and branding an amorphous concept like that always leads to reductivism and over-simplification. Hence: MURICA!

There's a lot of that going on.

My social media feed (mostly FB) is awash with those friends and relatives of mine who find the kneeling and the Nike ad campaign to be a complete and total affront to all this country stands for.

Get outraged over people kneeling, not school shootings, you know?

18 hours ago, inkman said:

I don't understand the insistence on playing the anthem before sporting events or the need to televise it. 

What is the purpose of it? To ensure everyone knows they are playing in America? 

I've been saying this since about the day I joined this board.  I don't get it either.  I don't object to it, but I don't know why we do it.  Again, not before concerts or gallery openings or plays, etc., just sports.  And just the US and Canada; nowhere else.  It's odd.

3 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Not saying you're wrong about the flags, but the overall quality of play last night from two seemingly good teams was atrocious. Thursday football should not be a thing, especially week 1 thursday football.

Everything was atrocious.  The flags, the teams, the fans booing the Eagles on banner night...

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Get outraged over people kneeling, not school shootings, you know?

I've been saying this since about the day I joined this board.  I don't get it either.  I don't object to it, but I don't know why we do it.  Again, not before concerts or gallery openings or plays, etc., just sports.  And just the US and Canada; nowhere else.  It's odd.

The only other sporting event that I can think of that includes a national anthem is Olympic competition. But that makes sense, since it's y'know an actual country competing against other countries. 

As someone who really respects what veterans and active military members do for the collective whole, I often find myself very uncomfortable with the manufactured patriotism that is seemingly compulsive at sporting events. You have to stand and clap for the armed forces member plastered on the jumbotron, for the national anthem played before each game, listen attentively to the DOD advertisement/sponsorship throughout the game, etc. If you don't then you are some heartless jerk who is un-patriotic and hates america. It's weird yo.

30 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

The only other sporting event that I can think of that includes a national anthem is Olympic competition. But that makes sense, since it's y'know an actual country competing against other countries. 

As someone who really respects what veterans and active military members do for the collective whole, I often find myself very uncomfortable with the manufactured patriotism that is seemingly compulsive at sporting events. You have to stand and clap for the armed forces member plastered on the jumbotron, for the national anthem played before each game, listen attentively to the DOD advertisement/sponsorship throughout the game, etc. If you don't then you are some heartless jerk who is un-patriotic and hates america. It's weird yo.

You poor baby ?

40 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I spent 12.5 years in the Air Force and I always felt a little weird when someone said thank you for your service to me.  I always just thanked them for their support, but, i didn't need to be told that so often.  That being said, there are a lot of military and veterans who want that admiration constantly, ask for discounts every where they go like Dave's BBQ joint owes you 20% off your meal or something, I do not identify with these types whatsoever

3 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

I spent 12.5 years in the Air Force and I always felt a little weird when someone said thank you for your service to me.  I always just thanked them for their support, but, i didn't need to be told that so often.  That being said, there are a lot of military and veterans who want that admiration constantly, ask for discounts every where they go like Dave's BBQ joint owes you 20% off your meal or something, I do not identify with these types whatsoever

That's my dad. But he's just an old cheap curmudgeon.  He isn't seeking adoration.

Tremaine needs to focus on not leaning in on the run and jumping into a gap too soon, which was his sole weakness in college. I saw it a lot this preseason and we're going to get carved up if that happens and Star keeps getting pushed back. He did improve as the preseason went on, though, and his pass coverage was very good. 

I'm worried about Phillip Gaines. Even though it's Flacco throwing, in the rain and wind. That's how much of a drop off he is from EJ last year. 

I'm worried about a lack of pass rush. I'm excited to watch our safeties. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Tremaine needs to focus on not leaning in on the run and jumping into a gap too soon, which was his sole weakness in college. I saw it a lot this preseason and we're going to get carved up if that happens and Star keeps getting pushed back. He did improve as the preseason went on, though, and his pass coverage was very good. 

I'm worried about Phillip Gaines. Even though it's Flacco throwing, in the rain and wind. That's how much of a drop off he is from EJ last year. 

I'm worried about a lack of pass rush. I'm excited to watch our safeties. 

Best safety duo in the league if they can repeat last year's success, IMO.

Let's go, Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Best safety duo in the league if they can repeat last year's success, IMO.

Let's go, Buffalo!

They're both such smart players, have such a good nose for the ball and tackling fundamentals and the like. Hope everyone can stay healthy. 

I also hope Flacco stubs his toe and it is just problematic enough for him to miss this game, so we get Lamar, who is about as ready to play QB in the NFL as I am IMO

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They're both such smart players, have such a good nose for the ball and tackling fundamentals and the like. Hope everyone can stay healthy. 

I also hope Flacco stubs his toe and it is just problematic enough for him to miss this game, so we get Lamar, who is about as ready to play QB in the NFL as I am IMO

Pretty sure RG3 is their #2. Not sure that changes anything for you ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.