Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

McCarron was the worst of the 3 QBs and I'd bet money if Peterman gets hurt they grab a guy off the street to play over Allen, if the plan really is to slowly develop Allen. And I bet that QB is just as good as AJ. 

I think Peterman would be a decent QB if his arm strength was better. But I'm fully expecting 6 out-route-pick-sixes this season at least

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

In what way did McCarron ever look like the number one? If you’re talking about “look” it was Peterman. He’s not flashy and people are still uptight about the San Diego game but he was damn good this preseason. McCarron was never the number one. When they signed him he was a tossup with Peterman at best but it was clear from day one of camp that the coaching staff saw more in Peterman. Peterman proved them right with his play.

Argue if Peterman was the number #1 if you want, it doesn't really matter. These guys are supposed to be the sacrificial meat shields to keep Allen on the bench. Now we don't have that.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

McCarron was the worst of the 3 QBs and I'd bet money if Peterman gets hurt they grab a guy off the street to play over Allen, if the plan really is to slowly develop Allen. And I bet that QB is just as good as AJ. 

I think Peterman would be a decent QB if his arm strength was better. But I'm fully expecting 6 out-route-pick-sixes this season at least

This looks like the only option. Jo rando off the streets to play QB. I guess I don't care as long as Allen isn't playing by week 3 and getting hurt.

I'm pretty sad for Rod Streater, and think he should have made it over a couple of the WRs they kept, especially Foster, what is he doing there

And I simply can't believe that Ducasse is going to start for us again, the dude is the worst guard I've ever seen, Teller is already better

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

This looks like the only option. Jo rando off the streets to play QB. I guess I don't care as long as Allen isn't playing by week 3 and getting hurt.

I also have this hunch that they're just going to throw Allen out their right away anyway, so that could be it too. Which is something I don't want

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I also have this hunch that they're just going to throw Allen out their right away anyway, so that could be it too. Which is something I don't want

If I had a gun to my head, I'd say Allen starts. I wouldn't do it, but I really don't think we gave up 3 assets to redshirt him all season. He's going to play. 

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We have 2 QBs, one has played a single half of NFL football & threw 5 interceptions in that half (he might have played some of the Colts game too? maybe NE/NO? I don't remember), and the other has zero NFL experience and played in the Mountain West conference in college. 

Nice.

None of this would be a problem if we had an O-Line or a receiving corps. 

I hope they can pump Peterman full of enough painkillers to let him hand the ball off for most of the season. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I do wonder who they’ll pick up when the inevitable injury occurs. The castoff from Oakland?

and the parallel with the Jets is interesting. Both brought in a free agent but then wound up going only with their in house options. 

I wonder if  Landry Jones could be of service as a crash dummy? 

The whole point in keeping a rookie QB off the field for a year is to learn the ropes from a veteran QB. What the hell is Allen going to learn from Peterman? 

This team isn't going to the playoffs this year. They need to sign an aging QB in the twilight of his career to come in and start for a season. If Allen's sitting back learning from Peterman, they're just wasting a year. 

24 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

The whole point in keeping a rookie QB off the field for a year is to learn the ropes from a veteran QB. What the hell is Allen going to learn from Peterman? 

This team isn't going to the playoffs this year. They need to sign an aging QB in the twilight of his career to come in and start for a season. If Allen's sitting back learning from Peterman, they're just wasting a year. 

It's not to learn the ropes from Peterman. It's to learn plays, and how defenses work at an NFL level. 

In Allen's most recent appearances he's still getting full plays talked to him into his headset and having to call timeouts on 2nd and 5 at his own 38 in the first quarter because of it. Time on the bench isn't to watch Nate, it's to study, keep working on footwork, and learn everything you can about NFL offenses and defenses so that stuff can become as second-nature as the narrower stance and hip-stuff he's trying to implement. 

Then, when it's time to play, he can focus on execution and thinking the game up here, instead of 

down here, trying to remember which receiver goes where and all the other crap that takes time to process. It's going to be a while yet before he has the playbook down, much less a functional understanding of what he's looking at every time he faces a new DC trying to fool him.

That's why some of us want him to sit. It's a bonus point for this view that the situation is otherwise suboptimal for his development as well - namely, piss-poor receivers and a piss-poor line.

Getting himself killed while having no clue what's going on would be an early confidence blow and just a messy situation, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Any suggestions as to whom  that might be???  Who's available that fits your criteria???

8 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

As pointed out by the Big Ben fiasco with Mason Rudolph the rookies aren’t really learning from the starter. The starter doesn’t have the time to give them a lot of help. Rookies learn from coaches and, if there is one, the backups.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's not to learn the ropes from Peterman. It's to learn plays, and how defenses work at an NFL level. 

In Allen's most recent appearances he's still getting full plays talked to him into his headset and having to call timeouts on 2nd and 5 at his own 38 in the first quarter because of it. Time on the bench isn't to watch Nate, it's to study, keep working on footwork, and learn everything you can about NFL offenses and defenses so that stuff can become as second-nature as the narrower stance and hip-stuff he's trying to implement. 

Then, when it's time to play, he can focus on execution and thinking the game up here, instead of 

down here, trying to remember which receiver goes where and all the other crap that takes time to process. It's going to be a while yet before he has the playbook down, much less a functional understanding of what he's looking at every time he faces a new DC trying to fool him.

That's why some of us want him to sit. It's a bonus point for this view that the situation is otherwise suboptimal for his development as well - namely, piss-poor receivers and a piss-poor line.

Getting himself killed while having no clue what's going on would be an early confidence blow and just a messy situation, IMO.

The way I see it is many of the best QB's in the league spent a year or two on the bench behind established veterans. I'd like to see an established veteran in this lineup. It instills no confidence when your entire QB core has less than three games experience. Of course it's not to learn the ropes from Peterman, that's kinda my point. There is nothing to learn from him. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I'm not exactly sure who is available. 

Look around.....

Any "established" veteran would be the likes of Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Big Ben, Manning, etc....none are available. 

Guys who maybe were available at some point are ones like McCown, Bradford, etc...also not available. Don't think we would want them anyway and wouldn't last a couple games behind our line.

I think our "brain-trust" in McBeane was to get McCarron who "sat on the bench" behind an established veteran in hopes of two things...1)get lucky and find that Garrapolo type QB and/or 2) hopes in covering up if they made a mistake in drafting Allen giving them time to find another QB. 

I don't think they made a mistake with Allen and it sure would have been nice if McCarron worked out to be at least a little better than Tyrod to give us some "wiggle" room.

Just didn't work out that way. Then again we may never know with the line we have seen so far.

25 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

You don't say?

If you took the time to read and understand what you were responding to you'd be able to see there was no need for the sarcasm.

12 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

The way I see it is many of the best QB's in the league spent a year or two on the bench behind established veterans. I'd like to see an established veteran in this lineup. It instills no confidence when your entire QB core has less than three games experience. Of course it's not to learn the ropes from Peterman, that's kinda my point. There is nothing to learn from him. 

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I'm not exactly sure who is available. 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Look around.....

Any "established" veteran would be the likes of Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Big Ben, Manning, etc....none are available. 

Guys who maybe were available at some point are ones like McCown, Bradford, etc...also not available. Don't think we would want them anyway and wouldn't last a couple games behind our line.

I think our "brain-trust" in McBeane was to get McCarron who "sat on the bench" behind an established veteran in hopes of two things...1)get lucky and find that Garrapolo type QB and/or 2) hopes in covering up if they made a mistake in drafting Allen giving them time to find another QB. 

I don't think they made a mistake with Allen and it sure would have been nice if McCarron worked out to be at least a little better than Tyrod to give us some "wiggle" room.

Just didn't work out that way. Then again we may never know with the line we have seen so far.

I'm talking about a Kyle Orton or Jay Cutler type. Doesn't make any sense to overspend to bring in a veteran superstar to set the world on fire, because this team isn't going to make the playoffs. But somebody like Cutler or Orton would be better than Peterman and Allen at this point. And a QB similar to those two would have been around the block enough to help transition both Peterman and Allen into a better position leading into next year. Less than 3 games experience from the entire QB core is a recipe for disaster. It just doesn't work. 

10 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I'm talking about a Kyle Orton or Jay Cutler type. Doesn't make any sense to overspend to bring in a veteran superstar to set the world on fire, because this team isn't going to make the playoffs. But somebody like Cutler or Orton would be better than Peterman and Allen at this point. And a QB similar to those two would have been around the block enough to help transition both Peterman and Allen into a better position leading into next year. Less than 3 games experience from the entire QB core is a recipe for disaster. It just doesn't work. 

The man you’re looking for is Colin Kaepernick. But it’s not happening unfortunately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.