Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Yes.

Leaving this up to McCarron and a rookie--coming out of a playoff year--was irresponsible.

I agree. I think it was completely irresponsible.

I wonder if squeaking into the playoffs last year has made them either overly confident in their own abilities (delusions of grandeur) or just unafraid to make mistakes because ending the draught has probably bought them an incredibly long leash. With that monkey off their backs they don't have to fear being fired anytime soon and it's a little bit like playing with house money.

And character should never be confused with religion. They don't equate.

I didn’t say religion, I said character. I do find many people of faith have good character, but that isn’t always true. Also people without religion can have great character. But for a religious coach or GM faith could be one thing they look at.

Is McCarron better than Taylor?

No.

Actually, it is POSSIBLE he is better, but that is FAR from proven. It is also very possible (likely, perhaps?) that he is worse than Taylor.

With 3 huge unknowns AT THIS POINT IN TIME at QB, the only way I'm on board w/ this plan is if McDermott & Beane are almost positive that handing the keys to Mayfield/Rosen/Jackson w/ Taylor still on the roster will create a Flutie/Johnson fissure of the locker room.

That COULD be worse than the kid not being ready & McCarron having a meh backup as the real ceiling & Peterman being CFL quality.

Yes.

Leaving this up to McCarron and a rookie--coming out of a playoff year--was irresponsible.

I tend to agree. The argument for what they did is that they realized that a Taylor lead team got as far as it could go last year and obviously that wasn’t good enough. So they are taking one step back in 2018 to go two steps forward in 2019.

I tend to agree. The argument for what they did is that they realized that a Taylor lead team got as far as it could go last year and obviously that wasn’t good enough. So they are taking one step back in 2018 to go two steps forward in 2019.

But there was no NEED to take the (likely) step back.

Would rather they'd've kept Taylor until somebody (ideally sooner than later) outplays him.

Doubt it, but at least they don't have their back completely against the wall when they want to trade up for a top 3 pick.

They removed their back from the wall when they traded Glenn away.

65 doesn't give them that much more room.

Actually, it is POSSIBLE he is better, but that is FAR from proven. It is also very possible (likely, perhaps?) that he is worse than Taylor.

With 3 huge unknowns AT THIS POINT IN TIME at QB, the only way I'm on board w/ this plan is if McDermott & Beane are almost positive that handing the keys to Mayfield/Rosen/Jackson w/ Taylor still on the roster will create a Flutie/Johnson fissure of the locker room.

That COULD be worse than the kid not being ready & McCarron having a meh backup as the real ceiling & Peterman being CFL quality.

Taylor only had one year left on his deal.  A Flutie / Johnson situation wasn't going to happen.

Doubt it, but at least they don't have their back completely against the wall when they want to trade up for a top 3 pick.

Nah.  They acquired the real additional draft capital in the Glenn deal, not the Taylor deal.

Keep in mind the Patriots are known to be cold and calculated, so I'm not sure you should let one person's record ruin the entire concept. :)

Just because you move a player who happens to be religious does not mean you don't have some level of religious value in your roster moves. I don't think the claim is that they won't move a religious player. The claim is that they take into account the level of religiosity that a person has.

I think the claim is that they not only take it into account but weigh it as a critical factor in their decisions — ie he asserted that the Bills would take whichever QB was the most religious.

Taylor only had one year left on his deal.  A Flutie / Johnson situation wasn't going to happen.

Nah.  They acquired the real additional draft capital in the Glenn deal, not the Taylor deal.

I know, but now you can at least hang on to a 2nd round pick, Imagine not having McCarron, any trade partner could just ask anything because you only had petermann.

Can't find the exact tweet, but there was one going around Buffalo sports twitter this morning that was essentially "I would rather have Tyrod than McCarron, but I'd rather have McCarron, #65, and $9m more in cap space than Tyrod." That sums up my opinion pretty well.

Eggsactly. I see McCarron as the backup QB for next year, but can start a game without totally screwing the pooch if needed. We are still working on acquiring our starter for the future.

Counter-point: this was the PERFECT year to do this.

The "OMG they haven't made the playoffs in X years" narrative is gone. They can afford to miss this year. and almost certainly will. They almost certainly would have if they had kept Taylor. They almost did last year WITH Taylor. They honestly SHOULDN'T have made it last year. But they got lucky, the cards fell the right way, and they got in. The fact that that scenario hadn't happened in 17 years is part of the miracle. They had that 700 pound gorilla dogging their every move. Every draft pick, free agent signing, coach/GM hiring/firing/hiring made people ask "BUT WILL THAT GET THEM INTO THE PLAYOFFS?!?".  Now they can make moves for the long term, with that short term issue of "dear god just make the playoffs for once you dunces" not there to bother them.

The team sucked last year. They were bad. They had no right to be in the playoffs. But they made it, I cried, and now that monkey is off their back. This is the best possible time for a full rebuild.

Is McCarron better than Taylor?

McCarron is a much better fit for the particular offense that Daboll wants to implement. He also has a lot more upside than your typical back-up NFL QB. Other pluses: has a very affordable contract, is very religious so will fit into the locker room culture, and has a hot wife. Last year alone, we saw several no-name QB's around the league (Foles, Keenum, McCown) suddenly have success when placed into the right offensive system. So why not McCarron? Unlike Taylor, he may actually attempt to throw to his WR's and try to make the occasional comeback when down by 1 or more points in a game.

Moving on to the other Buffalo Bills QB debate....the team is quite obviously gunning for one of the top 4 QB's (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen). According to standard NFL draft value charts, the 12th and 22nd picks alone give the Bills enough draft capital to move up between the 4th and 3rd overall picks. One can make a strong case for or against any of these guys. I'm curious at to where all of you currently stand on the big 4??? 

Here's mine: 

1. Darnold - has all the football character and the athleticism that the Bills want in a franchise QB. Only major concern are the large number of turnovers last season. Would have liked to have seen a third year from him.

2. Mayfield - still not sure about him...is spending a top 4 overall pick on such a small QB a good idea? Brees and Wilson would say yes, but they are exceptions to a longstanding rule.

3. Rosen - I just can't get over his extensive injury history. Without it, he's clearly my number one choice. But McDermott and Beane are risking their careers on this choice, and "availability" and "dependability" are classic buzzwords we've heard often from The Process Trusters.

4. Allen - same way I felt about Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel....looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

McCarron is a much better fit for the particular offense that Daboll wants to implement. He also has a lot more upside than your typical back-up NFL QB. Other pluses: has a very affordable contract, is very religious so will fit into the locker room culture, and has a hot wife. Last year alone, we saw several no-name QB's around the league (Foles, Keenum, McCown) suddenly have success when placed into the right offensive system. So why not McCarron? Unlike Taylor, he may actually attempt to throw to his WR's and try to make the occasional comeback when down by 1 or more points in a game.

Moving on to the other Buffalo Bills QB debate....the team is quite obviously gunning for one of the top 4 QB's (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen). According to standard NFL draft value charts, the 12th and 22nd picks alone give the Bills enough draft capital to move up between the 4th and 3rd overall picks. One can make a strong case for or against any of these guys. I'm curious at to where all of you currently stand on the big 4??? 

Here's mine: 

1. Darnold - has all the football character and the athleticism that the Bills want in a franchise QB. Only major concern are the large number of turnovers last season. Would have liked to have seen a third year from him.

2. Mayfield - still not sure about him...is spending a top 4 overall pick on such a small QB a good idea? Brees and Wilson would say yes, but they are exceptions to a longstanding rule.

3. Rosen - I just can't get over his extensive injury history. Without it, he's clearly my number one choice. But McDermott and Beane are risking their careers on this choice, and "availability" and "dependability" are classic buzzwords we've heard often from The Process Trusters.

4. Allen - same way I felt about Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel....looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I'm not sold on the idea that McCarron is a better QB than Taylor.     

Darnold -  He's the real deal IMO.  Watched him play a bunch of games for San Clemente High and he was absolutely unreal... intangibles off the charts.     Down to earth, honest, realistic.   Great mindset to be successful in the NFL.  Couldn't help but wishfully think he might be a Bill someday.    

Mayfield -  Nope.  I don't believe his mind is in the right place to find consistent success at the next level.

Rosen - Hard pass.   Too fragile.

Allen - Not sure about him.    HIs stats aren't great, but that arm and that size... wow.    Would need to sit down face to face and have an extensive interview to find what makes him tick, how self-motivated and disciplined he is.    Is he humble, is he his own worst critic?    

In year 1, they could have Flutie/ Johnson & then in year 2 when they walk away from the vet to hand the reins over to the kid, they could have Bledsoe/Losman. Out of the frying pan & iinto the fire.

Not saying that is what would happen. Just that if that is their expectation (& they know the locker room, we just speculate) then it is a more understandable decision.

Pretty sure you meant high floor. ;) But we aren't talking high floor/ low ceiling for the starter. (Not the expected LT starter at any rate.) The expected starter by the quarter pole will be the rookie they make one more trade up to land. Here's hoping it's Mayfield, but Rosen works likely, as well.

But this is a team that was a legit 9-7 and w/ a serviceable QB should be in the hunt for the playoffs again. (Them likely losing Gaines will hurt a lot; he seemed to be a key to making the D click. But he's the only guy they're going to lose that will truly hurt besides Wood.)

If the rookie catches lightning, they could be legitimately good. If he doesn't in year 1 and the backup is serviceable, the playoffs aren't out of reach w/ a break or 2. If we are back to the level of QB play that we got from everyone post-Bledsoe & pre-Taylor (minus Fitzpatrick), they'll be able to draft their next kick at the QB can in '19. Really not looking forward to that sort of a dropoff.

Yes - thanks.

More and more, I am thinking and hoping that their guy is Mayfield -- and we'll soon enough see if he can get it done.

Take your shot!

And continuing to accept a team (and QB) with the limitations of last year's squad (and QB) would have been more irresponsible still.

Darnold -  He's the real deal IMO.  Watched him play a bunch of games for San Clemente High and he was absolutely unreal... intangibles off the charts.     Down to earth, honest, realistic.   Great mindset to be successful in the NFL.  Couldn't help but wishfully think he might be a Bill someday.    

Or Darnold! Maybe him too!

Let's goooooooooooooooo.

Moving on to the other Buffalo Bills QB debate....the team is quite obviously gunning for one of the top 4 QB's (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen). According to standard NFL draft value charts, the 12th and 22nd picks alone give the Bills enough draft capital to move up between the 4th and 3rd overall picks. One can make a strong case for or against any of these guys. I'm curious at to where all of you currently stand on the big 4???

Here's mine:

I mean this in all seriousness: how do you know this? We really don't have any idea what offense Daboll is going to run.

Darnold - He's the real deal IMO. Watched him play a bunch of games for San Clemente High and he was absolutely unreal ... intangibles off the charts. Down to earth, honest, realistic. Great mindset to be successful in the NFL. Couldn't help but wishfully think he might be a Bill someday.

Mayfield - Nope. I don't believe his mind is in the right place to find consistent success at the next level.

Rosen - Hard pass. Too fragile.

Allen - Not sure about him. HIs stats aren't great, but that arm and that size... wow. Would need to sit down face to face and have an extensive interview to find what makes him tick, how self-motivated and disciplined he is. Is he humble, is he his own worst critic?

Well that settles it. Darnold is now my #1. I mean, if he was good in high school, he can't possibly fail in the NFL!

I mean this in all seriousness: how do you know this? We really don't have any idea what offense Daboll is going to run.

Well that settles it. Darnold is now my #1. I mean, if he was good in high school, he can't possibly fail in the NFL!

To point the first: ROLL DAMN TIDE!

To point the second: Hey - that's a potshot. Our reporter on the scene says he was gleaning matters intangible from young Sam Darnold -- not the extent to which he dominated play in HS.

I’m a huge UGA fan and what I saw from Mayfield in the Rose Bowl made me a fan of his. I love his leadership and athletic ability. This is a kid who has worked for everything. A walk on at Texas Tech who then transfered to Oklahoma. He was guaranteed nothing at Oklahoma and worked hard to become their starter and then a star.

Yes he is brash, but he isn’t a Johnny Manzel. He is a little small, but has a strong arm and can get out of the pocket and make plays with his feet and brain. I think his game fits with what the Bills are trying to do. I also think his attitude and size will knock him down a peg in the draft and we might still be able to get him with picks 8-10.

I also have zero problem with going after Rudolph at 22. He is huge, but plays an althletic game. I think he is the sleeper in this draft class.

Mayfield -  Nope.  I don't believe his mind is in the right place to find consistent success at the next level.

Rosen - Hard pass.   Too fragile.

Allen - Not sure about him.    HIs stats aren't great, but that arm and that size... wow.    Would need to sit down face to face and have an extensive interview to find what makes him tick, how self-motivated and disciplined he is.    Is he humble, is he his own worst critic?    

Doesn't matter how humble he is or what discipline is there... Dude can't hit the side of a barn

Doesn't matter how humble he is or what discipline is there... Dude can't hit the side of a barn

I don't hold many strong opinions on projecting QBs into the NFL -- because, of course, I don't know much about it.

One thing I do firmly believe: Once a QB prospect is ~20+ years old, his accuracy can be tweaked or improved marginally, but not substantially or meaningfully. Which is why I want no part of Allen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.