Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

At this point we have to think they are going to keep moving up and are prepared to throw their 2nd- and 3rd-rounders at the situation as needed.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

It's risky but I'm prepared to give McD and Beano the benefit of the doubt, unlike the series of bozos that preceded them.

Well, this is probably their only kick at the can. IMO you can miss on a QB and you can trade up for a QB, but you can't do both at the same time and get a second chance.

The funny thing is that right now there is an abundance of decent to very good QB's on the FA market.  This is a great opportunity with a deep but flawed QB draft class to get a good bridge starter (Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford etc...) to keep us in contention while the project QB develops properly.  

I'm not moving up much more if I'm the Bills.  We have so many other needs and still sit with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  

After the Glenn trade, the Bills now need 2 QBs, a C, one or two O lineman, a RB, a CB, a LB and 2 D lineman.  We have to replace Preston (LB), Dareus (DL), Wood ©, Taylor (QB), Williams (DL).  We also need a RB to spell McCoy.

The 65th pick should be enough for us to move up from 12th to 9th or 10th overall.  That makes sense.  I might even be willing to give up a 2nd to move up to 6th or 7th, but I want to keep 2 1st rd picks and make at least 5 of these 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  

I'd like any of the 3 Viking QBs as the bridge.  I'm actually willing to use the 12th pick on someone like McGlinchey or Roquan Smith and grab Rudolph at 22.  I'm then grabbing a RB and D Line help in the second and seeing who falls to us in the 3rd.  I'd love for Sony Michel to fall to us in the second.  

If we do try to grab the 3rd over all from Indy it will cost us the 12th, 22nd and 65th.  Just say no!

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

For the lazy it's a post by someone called buffaloreport claiming Beane has been in talks with the Colts all day to get the #3 overall pick

Is that anyone credible?

The funny thing is that right now there is an abundance of decent to very good QB's on the FA market.  This is a great opportunity with a deep but flawed QB draft class to get a good bridge starter (Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford etc...) to keep us in contention while the project QB develops properly.  

I'm not moving up much more if I'm the Bills.  We have so many other needs and still sit with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  

After the Glenn trade, the Bills now need 2 QBs, a C, one or two O lineman, a RB, a CB, a LB and 2 D lineman.  We have to replace Preston (LB), Dareus (DL), Wood ©, Taylor (QB), Williams (DL).  We also need a RB to spell McCoy.

The 65th pick should be enough for us to move up from 12th to 9th or 10th overall.  That makes sense.  I might even be willing to give up a 2nd to move up to 6th or 7th, but I want to keep 2 1st rd picks and make at least 5 of these 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  

I'd like any of the 3 Viking QBs as the bridge.  I'm actually willing to use the 12th pick on someone like McGlinchey or Roquan Smith and grab Rudolph at 22.  I'm then grabbing a RB and D Line help in the second and seeing who falls to us in the 3rd.  I'd love for Sony Michel to fall to us in the second.  

Except for Keenum, I like this.

I heard a report weeks ago about a conversation with a high ranking NFL FO type who was (anonymously) asked what the biggest misconception about the draft is. The response was something about how people still manage to discount how much teams will spend to get a QB prospect. The exec predicted that all of the top-ranked QBs (I think he cited 6, and the next tier probably started with Rudolph) would go in the top 10.

I’m all in. The Bills should swing for the fences, and they look prepared to do so.

They ended the drought. Now let’s end this QB purgatory.

At this point we have to think they are going to keep moving up and are prepared to throw their 2nd- and 3rd-rounders at the situation as needed.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

It's risky but I'm prepared to give McD and Beano the benefit of the doubt, unlike the series of bozos that preceded them.

So far, unless I missed stuff, they didn't give up a pick in this yet. They've improved their position at the price of losing an existing asset. That's not quite the same as combining picks to move up, where you end up with fewer asset(s) in the end. As a mostly disintrested observer, this seems like a good deal if they weren't happy with Glenn. Combining picks may tougher to swallow as the team needs a bunch of players AND (from what I read here) there's a chance that all the high-rated QBs are Vince Youngs and not Cam Newtons.

So far, unless I missed stuff, they didn't give up a pick in this yet. They've improved their position at the price of losing an existing asset. That's not quite the same as combining picks to move up, where you end up with fewer asset(s) in the end. As a mostly disintrested observer, this seems like a good deal if they weren't happy with Glenn. Combining picks may tougher to swallow as the team needs a bunch of players AND (from what I read here) there's a chance that all the high-rated QBs are Vince Youngs and not Cam Newtons.

Mayfield is smallish and some worry he is Johnny Manzel, Allen inaccurate in college, Rudolph had a lousy combine and doesn't have the strongest arm, Jackson has terrible footwork, Rosen struggled with accuracy at the combine and Sam Darnold is thought by some to be a system QB.  None of the these guys is Andrew Luck.  

We have enough draft picks and cap space to turn an 8-8 roster into a contender by letting the league come to us.

Instead, because we’ve been seeking a saviour so long, we’re going to go chasing waterfalls.

Six of the last 20 quarterbacks to play in the Super Bowl were top 10 picks.

How many of the 16 quarterbacks taken in the top 10 of the past decade are Cam Newton?

We are going to squander all this capital on Blaine Gabbert.

We have enough draft picks and cap space to turn an 8-8 roster into a contender by letting the league come to us.

Instead, because we’ve been seeking a saviour so long, we’re going to go chasing waterfalls.

How many of the 16 quarterbacks taken in the top 10 of the past decade are Cam Newton?

I completely agree. I’m praying the use all 6 picks to fill roster holes, but I doubt I get my wish.

We should probably see the actual trad first before declaring this, no? And FWIW, I'd take any of the top-6 over draft-year Blaine Gabbert (I still can't believe a team talked themselves into him...he was Josh Allen without the physical tools). 

Furthermore, I don't think "QBs in the Super Bowl" is the right measure. How about percentage of QBs to win a playoff game? I do believe that the lack of a franchise QB for so long, combined with watching Brady own the division, has caused many (if not most) Bills fans to overestimate what a single player can compensate for (for example, Matt Ryan is a franchise QB, but he can't compensate for as much as Brady or Manning). But it's basically a fact that a franchise QB is the best way to consistently field a competitive team over a long period of time. Even the greatest defenses can only do it for a couple of years before the salary cap necessitates their dismantling. 

I completely agree. I’m praying the use all 6 picks to fill roster holes, but I doubt I get my wish.

I think we're all in agreement here; don't mind this last deal, but at this point it seems like the QBs are all 50/50 shots (pulling that out of the air, unlike Zay Jones; hey-oooo) so it'd be questionable to make a bigger play at one guy  when the risk of failure is significant. Take the best available at 12 (or move up trading some player you may get rid of anyway, or MAYBE use the Tyrod pick to move up a little more), but don't sell the farm on any of these guys.

EDIT: I fully expect at least one of the top-6 QBs in this draft to be very good, I just don't think anyone reasonably can predict who with the trade-offs each bring to the table.

Edited by MattiPaj

I think we're all in agreement here; don't mind this last deal, but at this point it seems like the QBs are all 50/50 shots (pulling that out of the air, unlike Zay Jones; hey-oooo) so it'd be questionable to make a bigger play at one guy when the risk of failure is significant. Take the best available at 12 (or move up trading some player you may get rid of anyway, or MAYBE use the Tyrod pick to move up a little more), but don't sell the farm on any of these guys.

EDIT: I fully expect at least one of the top-6 QBs in this draft to be very good, I just don't think anyone reasonably can predict who with the trade-offs each bring to the table.

Props for the Zay Jones quip :lol:

It’s difficult for me to fathom that there are fans who would rather the team draft a bunch of potential positional starters rather than take a shot at getting a franchise QB.

I’ve had enough of teams that max out at 8, 9 wins. Maybe Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield flames out. But, goddammit, take your shot, Bills.

It’s difficult for me to fathom that there are fans who would rather the team draft a bunch of potential positional starters rather than take a shot at getting a franchise QB.

I’ve had enough of teams that max out at 8, 9 wins. Maybe Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield flames out. But, goddammit, take your shot, Bills.

Yep. They're close to having, at worst, their 2nd choice of guys.

Make the trade up into 2 or 3. They'll still have ~4 picks in the top 100. At worst, they'll have the standard 3.

Sign Bridgewater as the insurance policy. Start filling holes w/ FA & trades of guys that don't fit the system. Use the other picks to upgrade the talent.

If Mayfield, or whoever they get at 2/3 doesn't pan out, at least they'd have Bridgewater who looked pretty good prior to nearly having his leg amputated.

And when Mayfield, or whoever they get, does pan out. They're set at the spot for 10-15 years. Now that QB's can't get touched, there's a lot more Blandas around. Not having to spend a 1st rounder on a QB for another decade+ will be HUGE.

Yep. They're close to having, at worst, their 2nd choice of guys.

Make the trade up into 2 or 3. They'll still have ~4 picks in the top 100. At worst, they'll have the standard 3.

Sign Bridgewater as the insurance policy. Start filling holes w/ FA & trades of guys that don't fit the system. Use the other picks to upgrade the talent.

If Mayfield, or whoever they get at 2/3 doesn't pan out, at least they'd have Bridgewater who looked pretty good prior to nearly having his leg amputated.

And when Mayfield, or whoever they get, does pan out. They're set at the spot for 10-15 years. Now that QB's can't get touched, there's a lot more Blandas around. Not having to spend a 1st rounder on a QB for another decade+ will be HUGE.

I'm not so sure Bridgewater or Bradford is the answer given their injury history. Think I'd rather see McCarron. And I doubt they get to 2 unless the Giants get another QB in free agency or they're content trading down for Jackson perhaps. 

Edited by Gramps

Although, I just read something about how the Bills want Josh Allen.

I’m not on board with this process if it ends with that guy.

Since McDermott & Beane showed up, the leaks of Bills moves have slowed to a trickle. If everyone says Allen, we're safe. ;)

It’s simple: the chances of the guy we trade up for flaming out is higher than the same being the case for what we pay to get him.

The quarterback messiah isn’t what 17 years of losing has made him out to be. Most of them aren’t even messiahs.

It’s simple: the chances of the guy we trade up for flaming out is higher than the same being the case for what we pay to get him.

I’m sorry. What?

Are you saying there’s a better chance that the guy (QB) they really want at 2 or 3 will flame out than there is a chance that a guy (QB) they pick at 12, 21, or 53 will flame out?

I’m asking. What you posted is confusing, to me.

That's a bit of a skewed stat IMO. 3 of those 20 qb's were Tom Brady, and he's definitely the exception to the rule. Foles won the Superbowl this year and he didn't play for 3/4s of the season; Wentz was the starter there and he was picked #2. 

Fact is, the QB is just too important in this league to leave to chance. Picking high doesn't neccessarily mean you get the best QB, but it gives you the most options at QB. From there you have to trust your GM to pick the right guy, and lets be honest, no body freaking knows. But I'd rather let my shooter shoot instead of grabbing Mason Rudolph at 21 and just hoping for the best.

In all likely hood the Bills will be able to move up to the Top-3 and still have picks in every round this year and next year; that's fine by me. I still want them to get Bridgewater too, give me two lotto tickets instead of one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.