GDT: Sabres @ Oilers, 9pm ET, 1/23/2018 MSG

LGR4GM

This is one of the reasons analytics should be looked at with a jaundiced eye. Home cooking of the stats goes back a long time in the NHL. Shots in Boston, hits on Long Island. That, plus a lot of the numbers you see are folks sitting at home (not necessarily in their basement) with a legal pad. I hope teams keep their own numbers in house.

Teams do keep their own stats, but for being "official" it appears the off ice officials mailed it in just as bad as the hometown boys did.

I just thought that if you are getting bagged like that, you owe it to your home fans to at least look like you are trying to wreck the shutout. Instead they ran out the clock. That's like the cherry on a crap sundae.

That's 1 way to look at it. The other would've been, HAD they hustled the last minute, there woukd have been Euler fans (legitimately) upset that they could play for 1 minute but bagged the other 59. If you can play for 1, you can play for 2, and if you can play for 2 ...

At that point, fine, they didn't care. F' em. ;)

Edmonton is a dumpster fire outside of McDavid. 

So much of it is this.  Edmonton looked like the Sabres do most nights with their inability to complete passes.  They were a mess.  I'll give the Sabres credit because they looked better against Calgary as well and the Flames are not the mess the Oilers are.

We need to see this kind of effort sustained.  I don't know that the bottom 6 can realistically do that.

I really enjoyed last night's game. No chasing the puck and some nice passing. Heck, Nelson had a long bomb pass that sprung a 2 on one. They looked confident and like they where actually enjoying themselves.

If this continues for another couple weeks I will begin to become emotionally invested. The little voice I hear that sounds like Mr. Spock  tells me wins like this have a low percentage of happen again till next season. Dam you Spock.

Edited by skogslopp

So the question is why did it take them so long to start playing like they're capable of?

sucking a bag o' against Dallas and getting boo'd off the ice might have lit a fire... who knows.    let's see how long this lasts tho before we consider this issue resolved.

sucking a bag o' ###### against Dallas and getting boo'd off the ice might have lit a fire... who knows. let's see how long this lasts tho before we consider this issue resolved.

Edmonton's penalty kill runs at 54% on home ice and went 1/4 against Buffalo allowing 3 goals in 127 seconds of PP time. (Stats from Buffalo Sabres Stats, on Twitter)

I'm glad we won but buffalo has a long way to go.

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Edmonton's penalty kill runs at 54% on home ice and went 1/4 against Buffalo allowing 3 goals in 127 seconds of PP time. (Stats from Buffalo Sabres Stats, on Twitter)

I'm glad we won but buffalo has a long way to go.

The Euler game was the Sabres NOT f'ng up a great opportunity to get a W. They've rimmed that slam dunk several times thus year. The Calgary game was a well earned W.

Tonight's game will tell us a lot about where they are. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reinhart's subtle play to control the puck on ROR's first goal was eye-popping.

1:40 mark here

No two ways about it, Sam has been very impressive lately.

My nagging worrying is that it’s partly due to the fact he’s been in trade rumours as of late. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing necessarily, I guess it just depends where his head is at in that regard.

If we assume he doesn’t get traded, for the sake of argument, as long as he keeps this going once the rumours are gone, I suppose it doesn’t matter.

No two ways about it, Sam has been very impressive lately.

My nagging worrying is that it’s partly due to the fact he’s been in trade rumours as of late. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing necessarily, I guess it just depends where his head is at in that regard.

If we assume he doesn’t get traded, for the sake of argument, as long as he keeps this going once the rumours are gone, I suppose it doesn’t matter.

Not positive the modifier "very" is applicable, :p, but his play has been good since the outdoor game. & pretty sure except when drawing a penalty he didn't get knocked on his butt by Edmonton. (Hopefully that's more on his determination & lesson their mailing it in. ;))

Really hope the kid figures it out. He SEEMS lately to be getting there.

Not positive the modifier "very" is applicable, :p, but his play has been good since the outdoor game. & pretty sure except when drawing a penalty he didn't get knocked on his butt by Edmonton. (Hopefully that's more on his determination & lesson their mailing it in. ;))

Really hope the kid figures it out. He SEEMS lately to be getting there.

Well, very impressive, relative to my particular view of his performance this season up until that point. :p

If GMBot trades Reinhart- in my mind, it will be a litmus test in how he judges young players. If he gives him away for more than what I believe his potential is, I will become very skeptical.

On the other hand- maybe GMBot and Wowie have decided that the team needs the Eichel-Reinhart-Kane bromance to be completely disrupted, and both 9 and 23 need to go to get 15 to focus... just a crazy theory!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.