Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

I understand - if I were going to continue to manage an employee, it would be essential to try and find ways to motivate them, to improve future effort and results.  

However, if I knew the employee were leaving in two weeks - it would be inefficient and pointless to waste words on them, trying to shape or train them.    At that point, I'd shift from management mode to damage control.  Or if 2 or 3 out of twenty were to be retained, then take them aside and chide them separately.     

That's why I wondered if maybe he was doing it to play up to the public and the media, vs effectively managing his team? The time for all the anger and motivating fury was 3, 4 months ago - not now!  

If Housley walked in the room at the beginning and took a team whose core had just been through many changes and have had a few bad seasons and just started yelling at them what do you think would have happened?  My suspicion is that they would have tuned him out.  He would have lost the locker room and things would actually be worse than they are right now.

At this point he's earned the respect of the players.  They have established the relationship and he can effectively use that kind of messaging to get his point across without the team tuning him out.

As for wasting the breath, if you are in the moment and all 20 guys are there then you have to address all of them, even those who won't be here.

Based on your handle? Wait... no. Hmm, I've always wondered if any former players have graced or are gracing our midst.

Given how people are attacked around here for things I would suspect that most former players would like to keep that information private.  If I were a former player I am quite certain I wouldn't want to deal with posters who might begin to pester me for information about what really happened inside a locker room and then tell me I am liar because it didn't fit their narrative.

Maybe some of the focus should be on the assistants Housley hired? Have they actually shown themselves to be capable? Take the fall off on the powerplay for example. Specialty teams in general. Are the goalies even getting any coaching at all? A young team needs a bunch of guys who can teach. Craig Ramsey types. Roger Neilson types. Not sure this group has what it takes and I'm not sure they command the respect they need from their audience either. 

Maybe some of the focus should be on the assistants Housley hired? Have they actually shown themselves to be capable? Take the fall off on the powerplay for example. Specialty teams in general. Are the goalies even getting any coaching at all? A young team needs a bunch of guys who can teach. Craig Ramsey types. Roger Neilson types. Not sure this group has what it takes and I'm not sure they command the respect they need from their audience either. 

Good point. I'll never understood why a first time NHL coach would hitch his wagon to some extent to someone like Chris Hajt. Sure, you did your old buddy Bill's kid a favor. And you're going to get fired two seasons into your head coaching career.

I wonder if Housley’s Late Hiring had something to do with this given most assistants had taken other jobs by Late June?

Good point. I'll never understood why a first time NHL coach would hitch his wagon to some extent to someone like Chris Hajt. Sure, you did your old buddy Bill's kid a favor. And you're going to get fired two seasons into your head coaching career.

Housley’s Wife used to babysit him.

So he calls out the leadership group saying it's time for then to step up. Really coach? 9 games left and now is the time for them to step up.

The more I hear him talk, the more I lose faith in his ability to coach.

Someone mentioned earlier that this roster was a improvement from last year. I’m no so sure. Scandella was the only true upgrade. KOs injury last season likely permanently diminished him. Kane was traded for a bag of pucks. Pommers and Pouliot were really downgrades from Gionta and Foligno. I remember discussing to start the season that our 3rd and 4th lines were terrible. FYI, Delo (8 goals for Mon) apparently is a superior player to his replacement Nolan. On the pluses Wilson has been an upgrade on Carrier and ERod also has been an improvement over Ennis, but neither has move the needle much for the team as a whole.

On defense Baloo was supposed to be better then Kulikov and wasn’t. Bogo gave us less the half of last years diminished output. Gorges lost another step. Scandella has been good for us, but to date he had produced exactly 1 pt more the Franson did last season.

In goal Johnson for much of the season was worse, much worse then last years back up Nilsson. In addition Lehner, although he won a shootout, is much less effective.

So with the injuries and diminished skill of certain returning players and the worse performances of replacement players like Pommers, Pouliot and Baloo, I think the roster was overall worse then last year. You can argue that the coaching change exacerbated these issues and I’d likely agree, but I’d also argue that this roster was going to be in a transitional stage this season as Jbot worked to build a full uptempo roster from the mess TM made.

Ultimately Housley is returning so expect that 1/2 of the roster isn’t. I will add that I’m beginning to think that some asst coaches may be replaced in the off-season to help on special teams and the offense scheme.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I just don't get the lines last night. Jack playing with Pommer and Grigs just didn't make any sense to me at all, and Jack did look frustrated. Why waste his talent putting him with players that are either not talented to begin with or over the hill

Its almost like he was punishing Jack ? 

It's almost like there are 8 games left in the season and they might want to give one final evaluation to players before they make off-season decisions.

But I know the response to that... "They should already know what they want to do and if they don't they suck as talent evaluators and leaders and should be fired."

To which I would say... you have the people who are on the team.  You might as well keep tinkering and see if you don't find something new that might show you something you hadn't seen yet.  

And the response to that is some kind of "blah blah old dog, new tricks crap."

It's almost like there are 8 games left in the season and they might want to give one final evaluation to players before they make off-season decisions.

But I know the response to that... "They should already know what they want to do and if they don't they suck as talent evaluators and leaders and should be fired."

To which I would say... you have the people who are on the team. You might as well keep tinkering and see if you don't find something new that might show you something you hadn't seen yet.

And the response to that is some kind of "blah blah old dog, new tricks crap."

LTS was not so different from a Hobbit once. But now 500 years with the Sabres have poisoned his mind. But my heart says he still has a big part to play yet, for good or ill, before all this is over.

I just don't get the lines last night. Jack playing with Pommer and Grigs just didn't make any sense to me at all, and Jack did look frustrated. Why waste his talent putting him with players that are either not talented to begin with or over the hill

Pominville's stats are solid 3rd line RW (30 pts, 13 goals projected for this season) - the other is a 4th liner. 

I don't see much insight to be gained by pairing the team's highest producing player with 3rd and 4th liners;  is there really anything left to learn about a 35 year old fading veteran?   Would be interested to hear 550 or BN ask Housley about it, and what his strategy is/was.   

Edited by Jsixspd

Pominville's stats are solid 3rd line RW (30 pts, 13 goals projected for this season) - the other is a 4th liner. 

I don't see much insight to be gained by pairing the team's highest producing player with 3rd and 4th liners;  is there really anything left to learn about a 35 year old fading veteran?   Would be interested to hear 550 or BN ask Housley about it, and what his strategy is/was.   

Either Jack was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers, or ROR was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers.  We don't have 3 top 6 wingers in the organization.

Jack should be the center more likely to raise the play of the guys on his line.  That's what elite players do, don't they?

They don't when they've mailed in the last month of the season I guess.

For the 2nd season in a row.

Either Jack was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers, or ROR was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers.  We don't have 3 top 6 wingers in the organization.

Jack should be the center more likely to raise the play of the guys on his line.  That's what elite players do, don't they?

Yes I remember that specifically. He was headed for a nice p/gp financial bonus, and Draisaitl caught him.

Yes I remember that specifically. He was headed for a nice p/gp financial bonus, and Draisaitl caught him.

Moped at the end of last season and then publicly regretted giving up on the season and missing a bonus.

#Captainmaterial

Either Jack was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers, or ROR was getting 3rd and 4th line wingers.  

I think Jack's line should have got the better players -  since Eichel's stats are better than ROR's.    Unless now we're in full Tank Mode to ensure final place finish?

It is sad to see that jack seems to have zero pride in his own performance. McDavid is tearing it up on a team that's had a disappointing season and has been out of it for a while. Big difference in the character of those two. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.