Alex Nylander Watch Thread: What's up with him?

LGR4GM

You people are trade happy, the kid is 19 and struggling, he has brothers and family who are playing or played in the NHL, I'd give this 1 time, can't just keep trading off assets and taking a hit, sometimes you have to be patient as these young kids get acclimated to the game.

yes to the 19 part. The thing about his family playing hockey, has no bearing on his ability to play hockey at this stage.

I should expand. I see people often refer back to a players father or that brother they have. I Don't Care. The only thing that matters is the individual and if they are playing well and producing. I give no f##ks about who someones father was. Nylander isn't going to be good because his father is good or his brother is good. That is up to him to figure out what he needs and how he can achieve his goals. 

Some people just don't have the drive

This is my biggest concern. Hockey is something he likes but doesn't love and due to his bad first year he wants to do something else. I still believe it is way to early to tell and we should give him time. If we had a decent team no one would be concerned with the goings on of a 19yr old prospect as much. 

Hamilton was on WGR this morning. He saw the Amerks play recently, and he remarked in a tone that was actually somewhat apologetic (like, the bearer of bad news) that Nylander was, by far, the worst players for the Amerks in the game. Just nothing going on.

That led to a discussion of the good/very good d-men whom FGMTM passed over in order to take Nylander.

Effin' FGMTM.

Hamilton was on WGR this morning. He saw the Amerks play recently, and he remarked in a tone that was actually somewhat apologetic (like, the bearer of bad news) that Nylander was, by far, the worst players for the Amerks in the game. Just nothing going on.

That led to a discussion of the good/very good d-men whom FGMTM passed over in order to take Nylander.

Effin' FGMTM.

If you look at my 2016 draft contest, most everyone took Nylander. Murray, McKenzie, Pronman, the Hockey News. Only me (Chychrun) and Button (Craig took someone named Brown, maybe Logan?) took someone else. Tim Murray chose poorly yes, but he only chose poorly because the method that he believes in, what most everyone believes in, doesn't really work.

Effin' FGMTM.

And that ain't Hammy being a pessimist. The Amerks posters here and on hf regularly say the same thing, unfortunately. 

At practice on Tuesday morning they worked on shootouts. Nylander was the last man standing without scoring.

He had one great play last night sending Bailey on a breakaway but that was about it.

In overtime last night he was given a shift (didn't get one on Monday) and sent a blind back handed pass in the offensive zone back to no one.

At practice on Tuesday morning they worked on shootouts. Nylander was the last man standing without scoring.

That’s proof to me that his head is up. The kid was one of our best shootout snipers within two weeks of being drafted.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Kris Baker mentioned that his ELC will slide again if he plays less then 9 NHL Games this season and it's been mentioned a few times here as well

Bring him up for the final eight and put him with Jack and Okposo.

I don't want him near the big club before he's done something to actually deserve it.  For starters it sends a horrible message to the kids that have earned a call up.

That’s proof to me that his head is ###### up. The kid was one of our best shootout snipers within two weeks of being drafted.

Was the Cal O'Reilly stuff from last season recently brought up here? He was honestly in a terrible situation last year and the organization didn't realize it until they had to suddenly trade Cal. 

I don't want him near the big club before he's done something to actually deserve it. For starters it sends a horrible message to the kids that have earned a call up.

Right or wrong he was the eighth overall pick.

Botterill is on record saying prospects will get a look with the Sabres this season, Nylander would be one of the final ones.

In terms of sending a bad message to the kids that have earned a call up, the Sabres are a tire fire and it’s Botterill’s Responsibility to do what’s best the organization and put Nylander in the best position to succeed. Even if he doesn’t deserve it.

Right or wrong message, the kids have to understand what the ultimate goal is

If he doesn’t take advantage of that opportunity, it’s on him.

Edited by Brawndo

Kris Baker mentioned that his ELC will slide again if he plays less then 9 NHL Games this season and it's been mentioned a few times here as well

Bring him up for the final eight and put him with Jack and Okposo.

Just saw this Tweet (I don’t look at Twitter very often). Interesting. That gives us three more years to develop the kid properly. However, the kid shouldn’t be brought up at all this season. He needs to go the other way. Send him to the ECHL forva few weeks with instructions to shot first and get into the dirty areas.

Just saw this Tweet (I don’t look at Twitter very often). Interesting. That gives us three more years to develop the kid properly. However, the kid shouldn’t be brought up at all this season. He needs to go the other way. Send him to the ECHL forva few weeks with instructions to shot first and get into the dirty areas.

he is never getting into the dirty areas.  We will always be disappointed in him if thats what you are looking for. 

Doesnt mean he can't be successful in the NHL. Leafs aren't asking their Nylander or Marner to get into the "dirty areas" i dont believe.  Alex's job will be to get into the open spot and take advantage of his skill. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.