Linus, a Buffalo beaut

PASabreFan

So that is where Charlie the Butcher set up. He use to serve us at Grevy’s in Fairfax during all the Bills games during the early 90s playoff Superbowl era. Nice. Now I know where to look for Beef on Wick when I go back!

He's also got a place out in Williamsville by the airport (Wherle and Cayuga) 

He's also got a place out in Williamsville by the airport (Wherle and Cayuga) 

It's 5 minutes from our apartment and that is why we're fat. 

Has an express version literally a mile down the road from that location in the NOCO on Youngs/Main, too. 

Charlie? Or Linus already?

Lol, was stating Charlie... Linus never made it to Fairfax Va. And is just a phone call away. No Charlie the butcher here in Westchester and the Bills havent been worth until recently, making a trip to McFaddens. Maybe next season if CtheB is in town!

I'll do Ullmark as our starter. He looks ready. Has performed ready. Its time.

There are no gurantee's of Hasek or Miller, there are, of course, no gurantee's Ullmark can't perform at that level.

What I can surmise is this, he's an option that removes the current disaster in goal.

He's done well to this point, give him the job starting next season and the contract to boot.

Guys, it was one game. One that he was amp'd up for his first start in awhile. I hope and want him to be the solution, but let's get 2-3 games before we anoint. 

Correct.

That said, his fundamentals are fundamentally sound, which is what we wanted and he looks to be NHL ready.

I'll do Ullmark as our starter. He looks ready. Has performed ready. Its time.

There are no gurantee's of Hasek or Miller, there are, of course, no gurantee's Ullmark can't perform at that level.

What I can surmise is this, he's an option that removes the current disaster in goal.

He's done well to this point, give him the job starting next season and the contract to boot.

I saw recent graphic that showed Lehner has having the 3rd or 4th best GAA of Sabres goalies all time (I think 3rd behind Hasek and Miller).  Lehner has some definite problems (shootout, maintaining composure), but he's not what I would call a disaster.  His problem is one of perception or intangibles more than anything else.  We're spolied in Buffalo; we've grown accustomed to goalies who can steal games.  Lehner doesn't do that, which leaves room for improvement but doesn't make him a disaster.

Ullmark in his single game stole a game and looked good doing it.  Active but not wild, composed but not complacent.  His locker room presence is better than Lehner's too, but that could be a function of being a fresh-faced innocent.  Give him some time between the pipes to develop some cynicism and see how he reacts.

I saw recent graphic that showed Lehner has having the 3rd or 4th best GAA of Sabres goalies all time (I think 3rd behind Hasek and Miller).  Lehner has some definite problems (shootout, maintaining composure), but he's not what I would call a disaster.  His problem is one of perception or intangibles more than anything else.  We're spolied in Buffalo; we've grown accustomed to goalies who can steal games.  Lehner doesn't do that, which leaves room for improvement but doesn't make him a disaster.

Ullmark in his single game stole a game and looked good doing it.  Active but not wild, composed but not complacent.  His locker room presence is better than Lehner's too, but that could be a function of being a fresh-faced innocent.  Give him some time between the pipes to develop some cynicism and see how he reacts.

We agree that Lehner can't steal games, but his problem isn't perception or intangibles.  He's a big, athletic goalie with lousy fundamentals.  He gives up big rebounds, overplays the puck, and loses track of the puck when it goes behind the net.  He's also way too emotional and plays a position where that really doesn't help you (or the team).  His size and athleticism can make up for that and he can put up great numbers but ultimately he's not a guy that can turn a team around or hide its flaws.  He'd thrive on a good team.

As for Ullmark, maybe he'll turn cynical once he's a full-time NHL goalie next season but the story of the last couple seasons is gained some maturity as a goalie stuck in the AHL and hopefully some as a person getting married.  He was always a goofy guy (if you can find the YouTube footage of him dancing in the SHL) so hopefully cheerful, mature Linus Ullmark is the one we finally have to move forward with.

You can't compare GAA over time. So he's the third-best Sabres goalie in the dead puck era.

Also:

I saw recent graphic that showed Lehner has having the 3rd or 4th best GAA of Sabres goalies all time (I think 3rd behind Hasek and Miller). Lehner has some definite problems (shootout, maintaining composure), but he's not what I would call a disaster. His problem is one of perception or intangibles more than anything else. We're spolied in Buffalo; we've grown accustomed to goalies who can steal games. Lehner doesn't do that, which leaves room for improvement but doesn't make him a disaster.

Ullmark in his single game stole a game and looked good doing it. Active but not wild, composed but not complacent. His locker room presence is better than Lehner's too, but that could be a function of being a fresh-faced innocent. Give him some time between the pipes to develop some cynicism and see how he reacts.

Goals against average is not a way to judge goalies. Save percentage compared to that seasons average tells you more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.