Fewest wins after 41 games since...

PASabreFan

FROM ESPN ARTICLE: "Belichick, having always subscribed to the philosophy that it's time to go once an owner gets involved in football decisions..."

I'm wondering how Bellichick would have reacted working for the Pegulas?

Maybe that's why so many coaches and GMs bolt or get fired from Pegulas' so-called pro sports organizations...the owners are too meddlesome and treat the franchises like their own personal equal opportunity experiment.  

I'm wondering how Bellichick would have reacted working for the Pegulas?

Maybe that's why so many coaches and GMs bolt or get fired from Pegulas' so-called pro sports organizations...the owners are too meddlesome and treat the franchises like their own personal equal opportunity experiment.  

I think this is exactly what Babcock smelled here.

I am disappointed by our apparent lack of progress.

I didn't expect this. I expected a rough-ish start, then bonding with the new system, and then playing pretty well toward the end of the season as the players liked coming to the ice. Just think back to Bylsma's first season. At the end we had 81 points and were playing solid hockey for the final month. I was expecting something similar with better results because players like Jack, Sam, and Rasmus would improve from year-to-year early on.

TL;DR research:

Here are our top people in terms of games played in that 2015-16 season for 81 points:

Risto, Eichel, Moulson, Reino, Gio, Legwand, McCabe, Gorges, Foligno, Larsson, ROR, Girgs, D-Lo, Kane, Bogo, McGinn, Franson, Pysyk

And here's this year:

Kane, Eichel, Pommer, Reino, Scandella, McCabe, Larsson, ROR, Pouliot, Okposo, Nolan, Girgs, Risto, Beaulieu, Antipin, Falk, Gorges

It's a little different, but the core (young and should be improving) is the same. I think we'd all agree Nolan is an upgrade over Deslauriers as player, if not a checker. Scandella is better than Franson. Okposo is better than McGinn. Pommer and Moulson are in the same role and Pominville has been solid in it (at least back at the start of the season).

Was Gionta that much better than Pouliot? Do we miss Foligno that much? Or Legwand? Was salary throw-in Legwand worth 20-30 more points in the standings for his 4th line/PK/long-range short-handed fluke goal prowess? Two years later any of our bottom-six centers should be able to make up for his loss: Larsson, Josefson, Rodrigues, Girgensons...

So... coming down from the rant...  yes, this year is pathetic. And I didn't expect it. And Rodgers and all our cornerbacks got hurt, or we'd be playing this weekend or next. Disappointing sports season.

Clearly it's defense and goaltending. We've already allowed 139 goals this year, way more than half of the 222 allowed in 15-16. Johnson has been abysmal this year compared to 15-16 and the defense looks lost at time. Bogo missed about 25 games and Risto's production is down and he hasn't been as good as in 15-16. ROR and Reinhart are under half of 15-16 totals slightly, but not so much they couldn't make it up in the 2nd half. 

Fix the D and they will start winning. 

Clearly it's defense and goaltending. We've already allowed 139 goals this year, way more than half of the 222 allowed in 15-16. Johnson has been abysmal this year compared to 15-16 and the defense looks lost at time. Bogo missed about 25 games and Risto's production is down and he hasn't been as good as in 15-16. ROR and Reinhart are under half of 15-16 totals slightly, but not so much they couldn't make it up in the 2nd half. 

Fix the D and they will start winning. 

How about fixing the powerplay...going from #1 to #30 is not due exclusively to the D, but rather serious coaching issues.

How about fixing the powerplay...going from #1 to #30 is not due exclusively to the D, but rather serious coaching issues.

^

1st to 30th is awful, and it's not from 25% down to 20%. It's the 25% down to 12%. If we get 3 power plays a game -- that's 34 goals we're missing over the season. 4 power plays? That 43 goals we'll be missing from last season. That's a huge decrease. Add to it our poor defensive coverage and our significant decreases in save percentage from last season...  that's why we've got a an almost -50 goal differential at the halfway point and the standings look like we're in full-on tank mode. It's pathetic.

I am far away from blaming Botteril... Far far far away. Who thought he is coming in and turning this around in one summer is dreaming. Botteril is starting to build it from the bottom up and thats the only way you can do it. He invested a lot into Rochester and the team is able to compete for the first time in years. That will benefit the prospects a lot. This way the Sabres might ahve guys in the future they can call up that can actually contribute. Because let's face it guys like baptiste or bailey have talent but they didnt make any progress at all with the old rochester teams.

It will take another or maybe 2 years to turn this team around. Depending on if they get Dahlin. (He will end up in Edmonton or Pittsburgh though)

off the book after this season
Pouliot
Nolan
Josefson
Gorges
Falk

off the book after next season
Pominville
Moulson 

Key will be better drafting. And at least this year it looks a lot better than in the past. Mittelstadt could end up being a great great pick. Davidsson has made steps forward in the SHL and even the picks from later rounds don't see to bust at all so far. 
Edited by Peppy22

WOW!

So, Russ Brandon is Larry Quinn, Rob Ray is a corporate Sabres schill and the team is doomed to a 17+ year playoff drought, all while Terry slips to a side door a la the governor of Texas (Charles Durning) in the best little house in Texas.......that's what I got after reading this page.

Edited by Lucky E

We're four coaches in since the right one, that many here wanted fired, was, in fact, fired.

It always was the players and not the coach.

Ruff would have this team in playoff contention.

You were wrong then, and if you haven't figured it out yet, you're still wrong now.

I am far away from blaming Botteril... Far far far away. Who thought he is coming in and turning this around in one summer is dreaming. Botteril is starting to build it from the bottom up and thats the only way you can do it. He invested a lot into Rochester and the team is able to compete for the first time in years. That will benefit the prospects a lot. This way the Sabres might ahve guys in the future they can call up that can actually contribute. Because let's face it guys like baptiste or bailey have talent but they didnt make any progress at all with the old rochester teams.

It will take another or maybe 2 years to turn this team around. Depending on if they get Dahlin. (He will end up in Edmonton or Pittsburgh though)

off the book after this season
Pouliot
Nolan
Josefson
Gorges
Falk

off the book after next season
Pominville
Moulson 

Key will be better drafting. And at least this year it looks a lot better than in the past. Mittelstadt could end up being a great great pick. Davidsson has made steps forward in the SHL and even the picks from later rounds don't see to bust at all so far. 

good post, patience required to let botterill try and make things right.

We're four coaches in since the right one, that many here wanted fired, was, in fact, fired.

You were wrong then, and if you haven't figured it out yet, you're still wrong now.

This could very well be correct.  It's so difficult to get an established coach to come to such a mess -  sucks that we had one here and let him go.

Nothing stopping them from bringing Lindy back next year.

I'd take Lindy Ruff back in a heartbeat but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

WOW!

So, Russ Brandon is Larry Quinn, Rob Ray is a corporate Sabres schill and the team is doomed to a 17+ year playoff drought, all while Terry slips to a side door a la the governor of Texas (Charles Durning) in the best little ###### house in Texas.......that's what I got after reading this page.

I see Terry eventually riding a Cruise Missile into Pyong Yang like that general in Dr. Strangelove.

Might be right, they would be more competitive

No ruff please, bring back Scotty lol

I remember when Ed Kilgore did a show celebrating a distinguished 40 years as sports director with WGRZ-TV in 2013 .   Kilgore was already signed to become a spokesperson for the Pegula organization while still with WGRZ but then they did a joint event...Well...it didn't go as planned and WGRZ basically kicked him out the door right then and there because of perceived conflict of interest.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/ed-kilgores-long-goodbye-from-wgrz-cut-short/88379

As ridiculous as it seems, yes absolutely the Pegulas must have corporate shills starting with the Dean of Buffalo sports directors; they can buy off just about anyone for the cheap prices in WNY, even you. Wouldn't you be happy to accept a cushy, well-paid positon in Pegulatown? I'm sad to hear that Ray at least for now, sounds like one of them. 

Edited by Marvelo

I actually think we have the right GM and HC for the first time in a long time. I just think we have the wrong personnel to run his system and to not make it seem like this team will be completely rebuilding I'd think they'll be trading pieces off bit by bit instead of selling the farm all at once but maybe I'm wrong, maybe they will go all in this year and sell off guys like Pomminstein, Okposo, O'Reilly and Kane or keep Kane and sell off the other 3, Lehner will most likely be gone also so they may as well trade him off before he walks for nothing and we can finally see our future goalie in Ullmark.

I remember when Ed Kilgore did a show celebrating a distinguished 40 years as sports director with WGRZ-TV in 2013 .   Kilgore was already signed to become a spokesperson for the Pegula organization while still with WGRZ but then they did a joint event...Well...it didn't go as planned and WGRZ basically kicked him out the door right then and there because of perceived conflict of interest.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/ed-kilgores-long-goodbye-from-wgrz-cut-short/88379

As ridiculous as it seems, yes absolutely the Pegulas must have corporate shills starting with the Dean of Buffalo sports directors; they can buy off just about anyone for the cheap prices in WNY, even you. Wouldn't you be happy to accept a cushy, well-paid positon in Pegulatown? I'm sad to hear that Ray at least for now, sounds like one of them.

anybody ever see ed Kilgore

This could very well be correct.  It's so difficult to get an established coach to come to such a mess -  sucks that we had one here and let him go.

Nothing stopping them from bringing Lindy back next year.

I think the Housley experiment needs to be seen through- but if he doesn't work out, I'd welcome Ruff back.

I'm sure many people here, like me, didn't want him fired... just Darcy

Everyone here wanted him fired, except me and like two other people. That's why I am making the point.

Everyone here wanted him fired, except me and like two other people. That's why I am making the point.

I like Lindy because he was very good at coaching the talent he had and adjusted his system to fit what his guys could do.

I didn’t like the late in his tenure that the young guys regressed under his watch. I think he is the guy you bring in for an established but under performing team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.