DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Nothing earth shattering here from Garrioch

The Sabres are expected to trade forward Evander Kane. The Blues and Sharks are believed to be among the interested teams. The Sabres want a prospect, a first-round pick, and an extra pick if he re-signs. The Canucks have always been interested in Kane. Kane will more likely be a rental player for someone.

OEL also maybe available for two high end roster players and a 1st.

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/garrioch-sunday-coyotes-have-a-decision-to-make-on-oliver-ekman-larsson

I have no idea why Damon Cox hates Evander Kane so much, well I have one idea, but this article is a tad bit ridiculous.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/buffalo-sabres-problem-shopping-evander-kane/

Although a similar haul that The Leafs got for Kessel would not be upsetting

I like how the author talks about how the league changed in ways that Kane is particularly well suited for, and then dismisses Kane anyway.

I like how the author talks about how the league changed in ways that Kane is particularly well suited for, and then dismisses Kane anyway.

Maybe I read it wrong, but Cox seems to be saying the opposite.  

Damien Cox is a clown that writes (primarily) for the Toronto Star newspaper, or at least he did, as I have not checked for a while.

I have no idea why Damon Cox hates Evander Kane so much, well I have one idea, but this article is a tad bit ridiculous.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/buffalo-sabres-problem-shopping-evander-kane/

Damien Cox is among the worst hockey writers/journalists/analysts I’ve ever read. He’s consistently trash.

He’s always incredibly biased, too.

Im confused because the asking price reported multiple times (including in the post just above this with link to Garrioch and the Kessel trade is very similar. Maybe Sabres will need to sweeten a pot a little bit but Pens traded a high prospect (Kapanen, who was a first round pick), a first and two former second round picks for Kessel, a second round pick and Tim Erixon who was a just a AHLer by that point.

In any case, the haul is still pretty solid. Like i said, Sabres may have to add a little to it to get everything they want, but i don't think Botterill will have many issues getting that high prospect and a first in return for Kane.

Nothing earth shattering here from Garrioch

The Sabres are expected to trade forward Evander Kane. The Blues and Sharks are believed to be among the interested teams. The Sabres want a prospect, a first-round pick, and an extra pick if he re-signs. The Canucks have always been interested in Kane. Kane will more likely be a rental player for someone.

OEL also maybe available for two high end roster players and a 1st.

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/garrioch-sunday-coyotes-have-a-decision-to-make-on-oliver-ekman-larsson

SJ for me is the team to watch for in terms of a Kane trade. I think some of these teams are nervous about re-signing him, as Friedman has mentioned a few times. Committing to Kane for 4 months is easy, but giving him a 6 year deal, some teams could see it as a risk. I have nothing to base this on, but i feel like a market like San Jose, with the nice weather and the beaches, and a good leadership group, would be more open to committing to Kane long term. In terms of the Sabres, they have Josh Norris or Timo Meier they could part ways with. Neither of them is helping them this season, so throwing one in the package might not be a deal breaker for them. They don't have any 2nd or 3rd round picks though, so they might want to get one of those in return, as Cox mentioned similar to the Kessel trade.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22101277/nhl-trade-asset-rankings-tiers-2017-18-trade-deadline-john-tavares-oliver-ekman-larsson-max-pacioretty

ESPN’s Trade Primer. If Botterill can get these returns the board will be ecstatic

He divides the trade assets into 5 Tiers, with Kane being in Tier 2, Lehner Tier 3 And Gorges Tier 4. I doubt any of the names are moved in Tier 1

The possible returns Kane 2 of 3: a young high end roster player, elite prospect and a first

Lehner: one of a young high end roster player, elite prospect or a first

Gorges: a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22101277/nhl-trade-asset-rankings-tiers-2017-18-trade-deadline-john-tavares-oliver-ekman-larsson-max-pacioretty

ESPN’s Trade Primer. If Botterill can get these returns the board will be ecstatic

He divides the trade assets into 5 Tiers, with Kane being in Tier 2, Lehner Tier 3 And Gorges Tier 4. I doubt any of the names are moved in Tier 1

The possible returns Kane 2 of 3: a young high end roster player, elite prospect and a first

Lehner: one of a young high end roster player, elite prospect or a first

Gorges: a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick

A) How is Kane not in Tier 1?

B) How is that return not Tier 1 return? What is even considered that then? Kane for McDavid?

Lehner to the Isles for a First and either Halak or Greiss?

A) How is Kane not in Tier 1?

B) How is that return not Tier 1 return? What is even considered that then? Kane for McDavid?

OEL and Pacioretty have term left and Tavares is a franchise center maybe.

And if Botterill gets that return for Kane...who cares what Tier he is considered

And if Botterill gets that return for Kane...who cares what Tier he is considered

I don't wasn't their first. I want bellows.

Like where your heads at 

Edited by Jokertecken

From Luke DeCock who writes for the Raleigh Observer

Might be a good time for Ron Francis to give Marc Bergevin a call and see what he can get for Faulk/Hanifin and Gauthier/Roy. Pacioretty? Plekanec? Galchenyuk? Not sure if there's a deal there, but seems like the right time to ask.

Should the Sabres get in on this? Particularly Faulk and Hanifin. Reinhart wouldn’t be enough, O’Reilly would be but can the Sabres afford to part with him?

From Luke DeCock who writes for the Raleigh Observer

Might be a good time for Ron Francis to give Marc Bergevin a call and see what he can get for Faulk/Hanifin and Gauthier/Roy. Pacioretty? Plekanec? Galchenyuk? Not sure if there's a deal there, but seems like the right time to ask.

Should the Sabres get in on this? Particularly Faulk and Hanifin. Reinhart wouldn’t be enough, O’Reilly would be but can the Sabres afford to part with him?

From what I've read, Hanifin has been seriously struggling. A Reinhart-Hanifin swap remains intriguing to me.

Im confused because the asking price reported multiple times (including in the post just above this with link to Garrioch and the Kessel trade is very similar. Maybe Sabres will need to sweeten a pot a little bit but Pens traded a high prospect (Kapanen, who was a first round pick), a first and two former second round picks for Kessel, a second round pick and Tim Erixon who was a just a AHLer by that point.

In any case, the haul is still pretty solid. Like i said, Sabres may have to add a little to it to get everything they want, but i don't think Botterill will have many issues getting that high prospect and a first in return for Kane.

To be fair, Kessel is/was also straight up better than Kane, signed long term, and the Leafs retained salary.

Sabres are getting nowhere near Bellows or a first for Lehner. I don’t even think we’d get a second rounder for him tbh.

That's my suspicion as well, but also remember that we once stole a 21st overall pick in exchange for Paul Gaustad. The trade deadline can sometimes be a time for wondrous, magical surprises. I'd trade Lehner for a 2nd, but you're better off keeping him for anything less than that.

In addition to Kane, Lehner, and Gorges, I'd add Larsson as obvious trade bait. If there is some creative way to unload Moulson and Bogosian, I'd jump on that too. Basically, the priority should be unloading as many of the locker room and salary cap cancers as possible by the trade deadline.